[CDB] Simplicity

For style authors to post and receive feedback on 3.1.x styles still in development. Any development styles you wish to use on your live board should be installed with caution!
Get Involved
Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

[CDB] Simplicity

Post by Arty »

Style name: Simplicity

This is a simple flat style, based on premium XenForo style "Simplicity"

Demo: click here (click color variations in header to see different color schemes)

Download: click here
GitHub repo: click here

License: BSD (GPL compatible)
Additionally Font Awesome and Glyph Icons included in style have their own licenses. See theme/fonts/*/license.txt for details.

Features:
  • Based on prosilver
  • All icons (except for forum/folder images and logo) have been replaced with Font Awesome and Glyph Icons glyphs.
  • Folder images and logo support high definition displays (such as Apple Retina).
  • Restructured navigation. There are 3 navigation sections: main navigation, context navigation, breadcrumbs. You can see it on screenshot above. Main navigation selected item automatically switches based on page you are browsing. Context navigation changes from page to page. Number of unread private messages and notifications are shown above navigation in red circles, making it easy to spot.
  • Sticky navigation. When you scroll down, navigation stays on top of browser window.
  • No more language specific icons. "Online" icon has been replaced with CSS3 ribbon that is shown semi-transparent above avatar.
  • CSS files have been changed to Sass, a very powerful language for generating stylesheets. Style loads only 1 CSS file instead of multiple CSS files, reducing page loading speed.
  • Style has several configuration options.
Configuration:
There are 2 configuration files that serve different purposes:
  • template/_style_config.html: It sets variables that can be changed in templates.
    • $HIDE_FORUM_DESCRIPTION: toggles forum title and description in header
    • $WRAP_HEADER: toggles inclusion of header and navigation into content wrapper
    • $WRAP_FOOTER: toggles inclusion of footer into content wrapper
  • theme/_style_config.scss: It sets variables that can be changed in theme. See "Sass" section below.
    • $show-logo: toggles logo in header
    • $show-forum-title: toggles forum title. See similar variable in template/_style_config.html
    • $center-logo: if enabled, logo will be centered. If disabled, logo will be aligned to left
    • $logo-width: logo width.
    • $logo-block-padding: padding above and below logo (used for short logos, like default one)
    • $profile-width: width of poster profile section. Unlike prosilver that uses percentages, this style uses fixed width for profiles that looks better at different screen resolutions.
    • $profile-side: Side for profile block in posts. Possible values are "left" or "right".
    • $use-wrapper: toggles content wrapper.
    • $max-width: toggles fixed width. Set to "none" to make layout fluid.
Sass:
This style uses Sass pre-processor for stylesheet. Sass is very powerful language that makes it possible to use variables, conditional statements and some functions in css files.

Instead of editing .css files you should edit .scss files and recompile stylesheet (takes few seconds and is very easy to fully automate). See this tutorial on how to recompile stylesheet.
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework

Ancient Viking

Re: [Release] Simplicity

Post by Ancient Viking »

Looks nice, but is a little too bright for my taste. :)

Have you consider to have more colors than just white with a white background?

Also, this release will probably cause some confusing since the author for the Simplicity 3.0.x style recently asked about the changelog for the difference between 3.0 and 3.1 when updating a 3.0 style to 3.1.

I thought you should know about this.
My local forum: egetforum.nu - Offline Forum Online!

VSE
Extensions Development Coordinator
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by VSE »

Gorgeous work Arty! :D
Official phpBB Extensions ⭐️ My Extensions & MODs 🔔 YES!!! They ALL work with phpBB 3.3.x 🔔
Please do not PM me for support.

Raul [ThE KuKa]
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Raul Arroyo

Post by Raul [ThE KuKa] »

Nice work (again) Arty. ;)
All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.
:warning: Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules | phpBB Styles Rules & Policies | Styles Queue Stats :warning:

If you like my styles, translations, etc. and want to show some appreciation, then feel free to Donate with Image
:flag_es: phpBB Spain - Online Since 2003 :heart:

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

Thanks
Ancient Viking wrote:Have you consider to have more colors than just white with a white background?
You can easily change background in _style_config.scss.

Overall backgrounds:

Code: Select all

$page-background:						#e8e8e8;	// HTML element
$content-background:					#e0e0e0;	// Page inside content wrapper
$content-border-color:					#e0e0e0;	// Border color for content wrapper
$content-border-color isn't used by default because border width is 0.

Block backgrounds:

$block-background:						#f4f4f4;	// Background of blocks
and

$block-background2:						#f6f6f6;	// Blocks with .bg2 background color
$block-background3:						#f8f8f8;	// Blocks with .bg3 background color - mostly UCP/MCP and posting form
Then recompile stylesheet (see this post).

Robin L

Post by Robin L »

Wow, this is a very beautiful theme :o Thank you!

Ancient Viking

Post by Ancient Viking »

A simplicity post with great instructions. Thanks Arty. :D
My local forum: egetforum.nu - Offline Forum Online!

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

Version 1.0.1 is available.

Changes from version 1.0.0:
  • Many bug fixes
  • Option to show profile on right side
  • Option to show quick search in navigation instead of header

BMate94

Post by BMate94 »

This has never ever happend with me before. I can't install this theme. My forum can't see any new styles to install. What may cause this problem? I use phpbb 3.1.3.

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

BMate94 wrote:This has never ever happend with me before. I can't install this theme. My forum can't see any new styles to install. What may cause this problem? I use phpbb 3.1.3.
Most likely one of these:
  • You've uploaded directory structure incorrectly.
  • Error with permissions.
  • Bad FTP client messing up line endings. All style files use *nix line endings. Sometimes bad clients for Windows mess it up. If that's the issue, try other software.
To check those issues try opening styles/simplicity/style.cfg in your browser. If file isn't there, its issue #1. If you get "permission denied" error, its issue #2. If content of file is shown as one long line, its issue #3.

Alex Grigoras
Name: Grigoras Alex

Post by Alex Grigoras »

Hello Arty !

I like this theme style !

I tested and I have this issue:

1. on mobile phone
Sticky navigation. When you scroll down, navigation stays on top of browser window.
It doesn't stay on top of browser window.

2. on desktop
The Rank image it doesn't resize

3. on desktop
The Top Up Icon doesn't work so good. To push that button I must put the cursor on the right part of button. Otherwise it won't work.

4. The "3 points" on the Contact: ... could be replaced with some other intuitive Icon ?

Best regards,

Alex

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

1 and 2: that's correct behavior. There are minimum width and height settings for navigation, you can find them at start of forum_fn.js. Rank images aren't supposed to be resized, you are supposed to do that yourself when creating rank images.

3: thanks, I'll fix that.

4: good idea

Alex Grigoras

Post by Alex Grigoras »

Thank you for your reply. I made the modifications and now it woks well.

5. Why is necessary to be 2 search engine in the menu, one in the left side and one in the right side ? They doesn't make the same thing ?

Alex Grigoras

Post by Alex Grigoras »

6. I saw the image theme that you have distinct avatar to male and female (no_avatar_female, no_avatar_male). Is there a plugin or extension that make a new field to complete the gender and after this to show different type of avatar ?

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

Alex Grigoras wrote:6. I saw the image theme that you have distinct avatar to male and female (no_avatar_female, no_avatar_male). Is there a plugin or extension that make a new field to complete the gender and after this to show different type of avatar ?
Not that I know of. This style is based on XenForo style, which uses different default avatars for different genders and third avatar for users who didn't set their gender, so I already had all 3 images and decided to copy them all. This way forum owner has option to use different default avatar.
Alex Grigoras wrote:5. Why is necessary to be 2 search engine in the menu, one in the left side and one in the right side ? They doesn't make the same thing ?
Its there because I needed to put something in second row of navigation to make sure its never empty. Other links might appear/disappear on different pages, search link will always remain to make sure navigation doesn't disappear. Then there is an option to show search bar in header instead of menu.

Return to “[3.1.x] Styles in Development”