Adding a new link in the header

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.1.
Anti-Spam Guide
PayBas
Former Team Member

Re: Adding a new link in the header

Post by PayBas »

Most of the discussion took place here: https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 84&t=45679

Basically all you need to know is:

Code: Select all

<li class="small-icon icon-xxx"><a href="foobar.html" role="menuitem">{L_FOOBAR}</a></li>
If you stick to that snippit, it should work fine.

There are 2 more things you can use for the responsive layout. Namely data-last-responsive="true" and data-skip-responsive="true"

You can use these like so: <li class="small-icon icon-xxx" data-last-responsive="true">

What they do:
  • data-last-responsive="true" indicates that when the responsive script kicks in, it will try to hide all the links with this data attribute last. This is usually handy for more important links, that need to be visible as long as possible.
  • data-skip-responsive="true" indicates that this link should be skipped entirely. Thus it will never be hidden, no matter if there is enough space or not. It is not recommended to use this, especially in extensions.
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

Thanks very much. Exactly the information I was trying to find.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
just for this

Adding a new link in the header

Post by just for this »

I don't understand why making a simple thing so difficult. I have wasted DAYS on this and other people who tried to tell me, also.

I will NEVER recommend this forum to anybody. Without a link back to the main site the whole thing is useless!!!!! I need the forum to generate LINKS to my site.

I will have to delete it and start all over with another forum that doesn't require you to be a rocket scientist to do what you want.

Whoever decided not to make the admin panel searchable made a very bad decision.
I am surprised anybody uses this overcomplicated untamable monster.

Thanks but no thanks.
darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Post by darcie »

just for this wrote:Without a link back to the main site the whole thing is useless!!!!! I need the forum to generate LINKS to my site.
Hi and welcome! Sorry you're having so much trouble. This topic was about adding additional links to the header. phpBB 3.1.x actually allows you to link back to your main site with a setting in the ACP. See under Board settings:
Main website URL:
If specified, a link to this URL will be prepended to your board’s breadcrumbs and the board logo will link to this URL instead of the forum index. An absolute URL is required, e.g. http://www.phpbb.com.
Please let us know if you have any other questions! Feel free to start a new topic for your issues, and we'd be happy to help. :)
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the purpose of the board is to have discussions, no create links to your main site.

having said that, if all you want to do is have a link back to your main site, do what darcie showed you in your admin panel.
if that is not good for you then you can make one simple edit to one file and you will be done.

overall_header.html of whatever style you are using.
open it in a text editor, put the link wherever you want it to show up.

many people simply link the logo or header back to the main page,

others, add the link to the menu system wherever they want it.

you are the one making this difficult.

sorry you are having such problems.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
potku

Post by potku »

Lady_G wrote:P_I is referring to modification with the extension. If you wish to use a new icon, place the icon in the prosilver directory styles/prosilver/theme/images/.

Thanks for the info. This worked for us. :)
Potku.net

"Before I speak, I have something important to say."

- Groucho Marx
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

There now seems to be an extension in development for this, see LMDI Multilinks.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Return to “[3.1.x] Styles Support & Discussion”