HOW TO GIF-->JPG

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.1.
Scam Warning
stratege1401

HOW TO GIF-->JPG

Post by stratege1401 »

wonder if it is possible to force the prosilver theme to use jpg icones/smilies/everything ...
French World of Tank and Other games Forums
http://www.forum.fasx.org/phpbb/index.php

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: HOW TO GIF-->JPG

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you would have to replace all of the gif images with jpg images and the edit the css wherever it calls for those images to reflect the file name change.

just curious , as long as the image is correct, why do you care if the images are gif or jpg or png etc.?

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

stratege1401

Post by stratege1401 »

Just wondering if there is a lead for optimisation. Better having 40 jpg around 10ko instead some 40 gif around 50Ko ... just trying to lower the amount of data send over, in order to speed up my forum. Like avatar in jpg instead of png ...
French World of Tank and Other games Forums
http://www.forum.fasx.org/phpbb/index.php

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

there is really not that much difference between the image file types for the images that phpbb uses.
I doubt if you would notice any change. besides , they are all cached in the browsers and do not have to be reloaded every time anyway.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

The JPG (sometimes called JPEG) file format, short for Joint Photographic Experts Group, is an image compression type designed to work best with photographic work and high resolution. GIF's are more designed for web work or where depth of colour isn't an issue, they reduce the number of colors in an image to 256 from thousands, as a result of this they tend to be smaller in size than JPG's. GIF's are capable of transparency and animation where JPG's aren't. PNG's on the other hand are superior to GIF in that it has better compression and supports millions of colours, PNG also supports transparency. I'd be inclined to stick with gif's personally, they're smaller in size and load quicker.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

Return to “[3.1.x] Styles Support & Discussion”