Rockettheme no longer producing 3.1 styles

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.1.
Get Involved
Kiweed

Rockettheme no longer producing 3.1 styles

Post by Kiweed » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:43 am

I have always used a lot of their phpBB3 styles and Joomla templates as its a nice way to meld a phpBB3 site into a CMS like Wordpress or Joomla.

Today they have announced they are no longer doing phpBB3.1 styles that match their Joomla/Wordpress Templates. They will still provide support for all phpBB3.X templates already released.
Magneto templates are also affected

article (advert free version)
http://www.rockettheme.com/forum/announ ... nd-magento

Bummer they did some nice work

:(

TC
Former Team Member

Re: Rockettheme no longer producing 3.1 styles

Post by TC » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:08 pm

in the thread on their forum, they cite the fact that "phpBB interest has flatlined in recent years" as the reason for the business decision. they attached the below google trends result:
phpbb.over.time.png
is this "trend" of concern to phpBB team? at what point do YOU wrap it up and walk away? (i hope never).
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:20 pm

Maybe the interest has declined due to the improved quantity and quantity available here - just a thought
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:08 pm

that wasn't interest in their site/themes, it was a map of phpBB interest in general.

Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:48 pm

Its combination of things:

1. General decline in forums. Many use FB and similar services instead of forums, open source projects use GitHub's pages to discuss stuff.

2. phpBB 3.0 was current for over 7 years. It had huge life span. Investing time in developing styles for 3.0 made sense. phpBB 3.1 is relatively new, it should be replaced by phpBB 3.2 later this year.

3. phpBB 3.1 styles have to support template events, otherwise extensions won't work. Template events are everywhere in source code, therefore its almost impossible to modify style. RT always did major modifications to their styles, with 3.1 its not such a good idea. More events are added in each 3.1.x release, making it mandatory to update styles with each minor phpBB update.

Points #2 and #3 make it very hard to maintain styles that aren't based on prosilver. With each minor update styles need to be updated. With major updates (3.1 -> 3.2) updating styles will require huge time investment.

In phpBB 3.0 all styles from phpBB 3.0.8 are compatible with latest phpBB 3.0 release. 3.0.8 was released about 5 years ago. So styles didn't really need maintenance for 5 years. With 3.1 that's not possible.

Its just not worth effort to release commercial styles for phpBB 3.1. Mostly because of events.
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework

TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:42 pm

Arty wrote:Points #2 and #3 make it very hard to maintain styles that aren't based on prosilver. With each minor update styles need to be updated. With major updates (3.1 -> 3.2) updating styles will require huge time investment.
i didn't realize that. as someone who has no interest in running "out of the box/default" styles, this is pretty concerning. is this an intentional plan by phpBB (to make it more difficult to have unique styles and/or create disinterest in styling)? if not, what is the justification?

thanks.

Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:27 pm

Its something that wasn't foreseen by anyone :(
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework

TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:35 pm

eek. looking at your crystal ball, you say 3.2 is likely later this year - is this "issue" with styling something that will be addressed there, or will every subsequent release have the same issue (like you indicated with 3.1.x)?

Kiweed

Post by Kiweed » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:45 am

thanks so much everyone for their comments in this topic

The big things i have personally noted was the massive decrease in traffic when google and other search engines changed their ranking formula. overnight they put phpbb in the rubbish bin and our visitors droped nearly overnight from 15000 unique visitors a day down to 3000 - the main reason was the way phpbb did their topic urls - they wernt seo friendly

Another part of the fomula that was bought in early was the mobility of a site .... 3.0 ranked zero .... even though there were massive changes in 3.1 the tests i ran did not fair much better even though phpbb3.1 is now responsive.
I used rockettheme templates as it made phpbb3.0 templates just as mobilized as joomla cms

The biggest change has been the take over of social networking religating forums to little used - totally out of all of our control

My users LOVE forums and are their preferred posting medium

Those may be some of the reasons that graph showing the interest in phpbb has reduced so dramatically
Its almost to the date that the decline in phpbb also coincided with the massive decrease in my users.

These are just my thoughts and could be 100% wrong - any comment appreciated

:)

Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:18 pm

I am believe that phpBB has missed KnowHow unfortunately in recent years and it is not easy to catch up the lost time. phpBB 3.1 is complicated, has many new features and unfortunately too few standards who want users. So numerous often simple things are not included, which showed first sign in Ideas. For small items you need an extension, which is often nonsensical basically. The incorporation into Symfony and new structures is difficult and takes time, which can muster only a few developers.
It lacks standards that have entered from modifications of Olympus series can be.

Developers are certainly busy at the edge of their capacities and possibilities.

The level of development is unfortunately not yet up to date. Not yet contemporary ... :cry:
Let's hope that the developers did not miss expedient and timely changes again.

Yet the new trends for phpBB 3.1 are not meaningful.
https://www.google.de/trends/explore#q=phpBB%203.1
ggtrendsphpbb31_10102015_0030.jpg

If RT should adjust phpBB-developments > Indivualismus < is lost. :cry:

Regards
World Meteorological Organization (WMO) Weather - Climate - Water
BTW: My own works - phpBB - read more: ongray-design-de or look here: phpBB VT Theme

Kiweed

Post by Kiweed » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:54 am

thanks soooo much for ya thoughts Talk19Zehn ...... love the graph
that makes more sense with the introduction of 3.1 but i guess the generic phpbb trend is still correct
eek. looking at your crystal ball, you say 3.2 is likely later this year - is this "issue" with styling something that will be addressed there, or will every subsequent release have the same issue (like you indicated with 3.1.x)?
would love to know that answer too TC :roll:

again thanks ALL 4 ya thoughts
:)

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:21 am

TC wrote:eek. looking at your crystal ball, you say 3.2 is likely later this year - is this "issue" with styling something that will be addressed there, or will every subsequent release have the same issue (like you indicated with 3.1.x)?
Looking at it logically 3.2 will still have events therefore the problem will still exist. However I would guess that the number of new events will reduce over time (probably over the next year or so) when extension developers have found the "missing" ones.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

hexplor
Name: Karol

Post by hexplor » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:57 am

Hey Guys,
I was the creator of all phpBB styles for RocketTheme (with huge help of few other folks) so I feel like I can add few bits :)
First of all I still think phpBB 3.1.x is absolutely great forum script ! :) Really. Template events are not such a big deal. They are useful but I don't feel like missing few ones in our regular release cycle would have a huge impact on our compatibility.

What I think had a huge impact for our club was a fact that phpBB 3.1 was released soooo late. Like somebody mentioned, 3.1 was released after 5 long years. You realize what 5 years means i IT world ? It's like forever :)

Still I think It wasn't the only cause. I think that bulletin boards world changed A LOT in last few years. Like you guys also mentioned earlier: Facebook, Twitter it all gained in popularity, so user needs changed a little. Still I think it's a temporary. For me it looks like forums are looking for it's new place and certainly has a future. People already are starting to be tired of bloated facebook and it's limited tools soo.. Who knows..

phpBB 3.1 with it's symfony and twig was a huge step forward. From developer perspective it couldn't be better. In short amount of time we added scss, less compiling to phpBB 3.1 and it was easy. We had to hack many things in 3.0.x branch (i know you complained for that a lot). in 3.1 No more. We loved it.

I feel a little bit sad myself that we decided to discontinue phpBB3 premium styles but still I believe for phpBB 3.1 brighter days. It just needs some time :) I will try to help to make it happen by contributing as much as i can into whole phpBB community :)

Thanks for everything !

TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:17 pm

thanks @hexplor - <3

Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi ... the critical opinion in the course of development of phpBB by TC is my personal opinion quite justified. Only someone who criticizes, achieved progress ... ;)

The time factor is unfortunately a negative point, which phpBB needs to catch up.

@hexplor
+++ Wonderful and thanks in advance
World Meteorological Organization (WMO) Weather - Climate - Water
BTW: My own works - phpBB - read more: ongray-design-de or look here: phpBB VT Theme

Return to “[3.1.x] Styles Support & Discussion”