Showing forum within a website...

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.1.
Get Involved
mtridersclb

Showing forum within a website...

Post by mtridersclb » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:51 am

Hi folks,
Our technical guru left us in the lurch and Im trying to pick up the pieces - its been a while.
We had a Wordpress website with a common header showing all the website areas including the forum. Sadly we lost all of that so just now have a functioning forum:

www.mtridersclub.co.uk

Its a real bummer because the website had all our ride reports, photos, FAQs, charity info, donation buttons etc. So, I want to rebuild that. I used to tinker with html back in the day, before wysiwyg etc and Ive successfuly made up a nice website for my business using webs.com (real easy). SO, I have rusty aptitude, Filezilla, TextWrangler etc....

Question for this area is, whats the best/ simplest way to have a common/ active header on top of the forum so it looks like its part of a website?

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks

mrgoldy
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: Gijs

Re: Showing forum within a website...

Post by mrgoldy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:25 pm

Hello,

I would suggest looking at Board3 Portal. It adds an easy to maintain 'website' (portal) to your forum. You can leave the left/right portal blocks on all pages so it really looks like your forum is part of a website.

It also have all the build-in blocks you're talking about. Such as donation and top topics/forums.

Pond Life

Post by Pond Life » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:50 pm

Create a child style and edit overall_header.html and overall_footer.html
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:25 pm

I agree with Pondlife. a portal is not what you need for what you are trying to do.

creating the child style will do just what you want. to do it the easy way,you can just copy prosilver, rename the folder and change the name of the style in the style.cfg file and then make your edits to the overall_header and/or the overall_footer files to include your banners, images, menus, etc. from the rest of your site.
you will have to add the css, html, etc.

save it all, upload to your board and install the style. then in the admin panel, board settings, set that style for default and for guest and then check yes for override.

done.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

mtridersclb

Post by mtridersclb » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:29 pm

Thank you very much chaps, for all your input. I'll be needing a bit more help with that at first until I get mu head round it. Which area is best to ask about that once I get going?

Pond Life

Post by Pond Life » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:37 pm

mtridersclb wrote:Which area is best to ask about that once I get going?
I think you're already in the right place, Styles Support & Discussion.
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Return to “[3.1.x] Styles Support & Discussion”