Making my first style?

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.1.
Get Involved
Rhino.Freak

Making my first style?

Post by Rhino.Freak » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:39 pm

Hey everyone I have been thinking of making a style for phpbb and I want to have some inputs beforehand and I have a few queries.
I have made a few styles for forumotion forum and I do know my ways around html, css.
So I wanna ask whether anyone is interested in seeing >>THIS<< style made for phpbb?
It is not as polished as I intended it to be but I think it's complete enough so you guys can judge it.
I would try to develop it for phpbb but I wanna know first how many people actually think it's a theme good enough to be made.

One more thing I wanna ask is, how does paid styles work? If this style (it'll be free of course) gets popular I might put some extra time and effort into it and probably get some business going.

Awaiting everyone's feedback :)

messikecil

Re: Making my first style?

Post by messikecil » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:39 pm

nice style, but i dont like the icon (a cup of coffee)

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:36 pm

I don't personally like dark styles. well that is not really true, I like them but my eyes do not. many people have problems with their eyes when viewing dark pages. I never have understood why all game sites have to be dark.

anyway, the biggest problem with it is that it is not responsive and you can not see it properly on smaller devices.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Rhino.Freak

Post by Rhino.Freak » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:43 am

Ah thanks for feedback! Yes of course forumotion themes don't support responsive design so it wasn't responsive.
When I make a style it will be responsive for sure.

And yes I have already made a different set of forum icons (that coffee cup was just owner of that forum's request).

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:50 am

One of the easier ways of creating a style for phpBB is to make a "child" style of an existing style - that way you do not have to "reinvent the wheel" but change the things that you need to change.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Rhino.Freak

Post by Rhino.Freak » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:03 pm

david63 wrote:One of the easier ways of creating a style for phpBB is to make a "child" style of an existing style - that way you do not have to "reinvent the wheel" but change the things that you need to change.
Of course! Will be modifying the pro silver to make this.
So no one has ideas regarding my second query?

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:13 pm

Rhino.Freak wrote:
david63 wrote:One of the easier ways of creating a style for phpBB is to make a "child" style of an existing style - that way you do not have to "reinvent the wheel" but change the things that you need to change.
Of course! Will be modifying the pro silver to make this.
So no one has ideas regarding my second query?
I'm assuming your mean your question about developing paid styles?

The problem is, that every style developed for phpBB 3.1 (or 3.0 for that matter) would need to be licensed under the GPL v2. This is because the style depends on the phpBB code (also GPL v2) to operate and function correctly. The GPL license allows you to ask for a fee for your work, but once someone has bought your style, they are completely free to duplicate it and do publish it if they want.

So once I bought one of your paid styles, I'm free to just give it away or publish it for free on my own website without your permission.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

Rhino.Freak

Post by Rhino.Freak » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:37 pm

Ah I see. Sounds like a very broken system but thanks for information! :)

Perhaps some more feedback on the style before I start with it? Thanks for all opinions here so far :)

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:47 am

Rhino.Freak wrote:Perhaps some more feedback on the style before I start with it? Thanks for all opinions here so far :)
If you mean pointers, then yes, have a look at these links:

Knowledge Base - How to create a new phpBB3 style
Creating & Modifying Styles
Practical tips & tricks for 3.1 style authors

Good luck :!:

Thanks
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

Return to “[3.1.x] Styles Support & Discussion”