Simple phpBB theme for IT illiterate

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.1.
Scam Warning
mephistouk

Simple phpBB theme for IT illiterate

Post by mephistouk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:01 pm

Hi guys,

I'm searching for a simple theme as I'm putting um a forum for a community that 90% of people are very illiterate with IT. The idea is to help them to communicate the problems in the community and start discussions how to improve things, create polls, etc...

I think the default theme display too many options and links, it is very confusing and intimidating for people that don't have many IT skills.

So far the best I've found was this:

https://www.artodia.com/phpbb-styles/basic/

but still far from ideal in my opinion. I think there are too many options and things that pollute the visualisation of the page.

What would you guys suggest me? Any direction, advise, will be helpful :)

Thanks!

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: Simple phpBB theme for IT illiterate

Post by JimA » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:09 pm

Styles in phpBB are designed in such a way that all functionality has to be retained across styles. The only thing that the Basic style is doing is replacing many of the text links (like the FAQ, login and register option) with icons so that it looks less crowded. :)

But in general like I said, a style can't just remove functionality that phpBB offers.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

mephistouk

Post by mephistouk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:13 pm

JimA wrote:Styles in phpBB are designed in such a way that all functionality has to be retained across styles. The only thing that the Basic style is doing is replacing many of the text links (like the FAQ, login and register option) with icons so that it looks less crowded. :)

But in general like I said, a style can't just remove functionality that phpBB offers.
Can I remove items from the style?

For example, there is no need to show who is online, statistics, and a few other options.

Is there a GUI to remove these options or would I need to edit the code to get these items hidden/removed?

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:19 pm

You can change it yourselves, some options are changeable in the ACP, for others you'd need to edit the style's template files, which are located in the styles/yourstyle/template directory on your server.

Things like the Birthdays option or the "Who is Online" block that you want to remove can be disabled under Load settings in your admin panel, but if you wanted to disable the statistics, you would need to edit the index_body.html template file, for example. After editing template files, be sure to purge the cache.

EDIT: Also, I now see that you've posted in the 3.0 Styles Support forum, but the style you're linking to is a style specifically for phpBB 3.1.x, those aren't compatible. So which version of phpBB are you running?
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

mephistouk

Post by mephistouk » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:07 pm

JimA wrote:You can change it yourselves, some options are changeable in the ACP, for others you'd need to edit the style's template files, which are located in the styles/yourstyle/template directory on your server.

Things like the Birthdays option or the "Who is Online" block that you want to remove can be disabled under Load settings in your admin panel, but if you wanted to disable the statistics, you would need to edit the index_body.html template file, for example. After editing template files, be sure to purge the cache.

EDIT: Also, I now see that you've posted in the 3.0 Styles Support forum, but the style you're linking to is a style specifically for phpBB 3.1.x, those aren't compatible. So which version of phpBB are you running?
Hi Jim,

I'm using 3.1.9, apologies I posted in the wrong section. Would you mind to move it to 3.1.x please?

I'll check the changes you suggested and see how it goes. Last time I tried to edit the html code to remove bits, I easily broke phpbb so I'm a bit reluctant editing outside the GUI.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:16 pm

in 3.1 there is no editing inside the admin panel as it was with 3.0
even in 3.0 those edits were not permanent as they would disappear the first time you purged the cache.

anyway, the only way to edit the files in 3.1 is by actually downloading the file to your computer, using a real text editor and making the edits.

you can't really break the board when editing the html/css files. you can make the page no longer work, but that is usually just a minor error like not having a "ENDIF" for every "IF" statement. or missing a < or a > somewhere.
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

mephistouk

Post by mephistouk » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:46 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:in 3.1 there is no editing inside the admin panel as it was with 3.0
even in 3.0 those edits were not permanent as they would disappear the first time you purged the cache.

anyway, the only way to edit the files in 3.1 is by actually downloading the file to your computer, using a real text editor and making the edits.

you can't really break the board when editing the html/css files. you can make the page no longer work, but that is usually just a minor error like not having a "ENDIF" for every "IF" statement. or missing a < or a > somewhere.
Alright, thanks.

I'll try to play with the files and change a bit the interface to look simpler. Thanks :)

Sajaki
Name: Andreas

Post by Sajaki » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:55 am

i think you just need to educate your users...

SalazarAG

Post by SalazarAG » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:21 pm

Difficult one free theme as well.

The best and most beautiful is paid: http://themeforest.net/item/canvas-mode ... e/12900904
I'm sorry for my English. Google Translator does a bad job. :D

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by Christian 2.0 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi there,

I've recently released a clean and simple phpBB style linked in my signature.

I'd be happy to discuss further customisation with you if required :)

Christian

Return to “[3.1.x] Styles Support & Discussion”