Migration from Vanilla Forums v2.1.x to phpBB 3.1.x?

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
][Moon][Shine][

Migration from Vanilla Forums v2.1.x to phpBB 3.1.x?

Post by ][Moon][Shine][ » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:33 am

Is there any way of migrating from Vanilla Forums v2.1.x to phpBB 3.1.x?

We have nothing special in our Vanilla installation, but we are making good use of the FileUpload module, so all pictures that have been posted are self hosted, not from external sources, and we have a lot of pics.

I've just discovered the new phpBB 3.1 release and it sounds great, fixing pretty much all the problems which made me choose Vanilla Forums instead around one and a half year ago, but if not being able to migrate existing content my community will not be in favor of moving to phpBB.

][Moon][Shine][

Re: Migration from Vanilla Forums v2.1.x to phpBB 3.1.x?

Post by ][Moon][Shine][ » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:07 am

I have just taken a look at the Vanilla2-to-phpBB3 converter project from @CalebTheWizard on github, but it's for Vanilla 2.0.18.4 to phpBB 3.0.11 and last updated 2 years ago. I'm not a coder, so the PHP file with 1350 lines of code does not tell me anything. I could give it a try on a test installation but as far as I can see this will be cumbersome with my limited knowledge.

Any hints are highly appreciated!

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:47 pm

Given how new 3.1.x is, there are not likely to be any direct converters. You can probably try using that to get from Vanilla to phpBB 3.0.11, then update to 3.0.12, and then convert from that to 3.1.1 (or whichever version is the latest when you perform the conversion).
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

][Moon][Shine][

Post by ][Moon][Shine][ » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:38 am

Another hint I've been given is to try to migrate from Vanilla to SMF and from SMF to phpBB. SMF has a converter for Vanilla, but it seems to be for v2.0, so I'm not sure if that's going to work, also haven't been looking on how to migrate from SMF to phpBB v3.1.x. Quite frustrating that this seems to be so complicated if possible at all.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:24 pm

I seriously doubt there were enough changes between that version of vanilla and your version to make it not work. go ahead and convert to phpbb 3 and then convert from phpbb 3.0.x to phpbb 3.1.1

the main thing the convertors do is convert the data in the database to something that phpbb can use.

it is not going to do anything with the files etc.

so, give it a try and see what happens. none of the convertors will affect your live board in any way so if it doesn't work you can simply delete whatever it created and start again.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

][Moon][Shine][

Post by ][Moon][Shine][ » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:52 pm

Well, there are still a few pieces of the puzzle missing. So if I have understood correctly, I first try to convert from Vanilla v2.1.x to SMF v2.0.9 using the converter from the SMF website. Then I convert from SMF to phpBB 3.0.12 (with which converter?), and at the end I can use the converter functionality of phpBB 3.1.1 to get from 3.0.12 to 3.1.1, right?

This will be interesting to setup. :shock:

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:05 pm

no, in your post above you mentioned this convertor: https://github.com/CalebTheWizard/Vanilla2-to-phpBB3
use that to convert your vanilla board over to phpbb3

it doesn't matter that it is version 3.0.11

then, once it is working in phpbb3 you can simply upgrade it to 3.1.1 using this method:
Upgrading from phpbb 3.0.x to phpbb 3.1.0

Tools needed to set up and customise phpBB

Preparation
  1. Backup all board files and the database.
  2. Download the full package.
  3. Unzip to your desktop and open the phpBB3 directory.
  4. Remove (delete) the config.php file, and the /images and /files directories from the package.
  5. In Administration Control Panel (ACP) > GENERAL > Board Configuration > Board settings:
    Default style: prosilver
    Overide user style: Yes
  6. If spambot countermeasures are enabled:
    Go to > Administration Control Panel (ACP) > GENERAL > Board Configuration > Spambot countermeasures:
    If the installed plugin used is not GD image, GD 3D image, Simple image, Q&A, or reCaptcha, then change it to one of those.

File replacement
  1. Via FTP or SSH delete everything from your board installation on the server EXCEPT for the config.php file, and the /files, /images, and /store directories.
  2. You can also, optionally, delete the /store/mods directory, if it exists (it contains the MOD packages installed using AutoMOD).
  3. Via FTP or SSH upload the remaining files and directories (from step 3 under the Preparation heading above) to the root of your board installation on the server overwriting the existing files.
  4. In your browser go to http://www.example.com/yourforum/instal ... update.php
  5. Let that run to completion.
  6. Via FTP or SSH delete the folder named /install/ from the root of your board installation.
You now have a brand new phpbb 3.1.0 board with all your members and posts etc.
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

][Moon][Shine][

Post by ][Moon][Shine][ » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:23 am

Thanks a lot for the provided info, Robert. Unfortunately I don't have the time right now to play around with this conversion, but I'm definitely going to try it, though I'm still not sure what the best way is, because on Github in the issue I've opened concerning the CalebTheWizard converter I've been given the advice to try the SMF route, which @bohregard confirmed to be working.

If anybody else successfully converted from Vanille Forums v2.1.x to phpBB v3.1.x in the meantime, I'd be delighted to read about the outcome.

][Moon][Shine][

Post by ][Moon][Shine][ » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:44 pm

Well, the SMF route seems to be a dead end. The SMF >> Vanilla converter from the SMF website is from 2010/2011 and does not even recognize the path to the Vanilla (v2.1.x) installation because of wrong config-filename(s) in vanilla_to_smf.sql. I've tried with corrected path to conf/config.php but the converter then just shows an empty page at step 1.

Since the CalebTheWizard converter is from a later date I guess chances of success are better with that one, so that's what I'm going to try next. Should have listened to you, Robert, right from the beginning... :oops:

][Moon][Shine][

Post by ][Moon][Shine][ » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:44 am

Dang, it just doesn't work. Robert, I tried the CalebTheWizard converter two times now, from Vanilla v2.1.x to phpBB v3.0.12 and directly to v3.1.1 with some modifications to the script, but there are errors/incompatibilities preventing a usable conversion.

I have posted my findings in the Vanilla 2 to phpBB converter? thread.

No idea which part could be causing the problems, either differences between Vanilla v2.0.x & v2.1.x, phpBB v3.0.11 & v3.0.12 or ADOdb 518 & 519. It really is crazy, is seems most of the conversion would work out but some errors/incompatibilities are preventing a usable outcome.

No idea, what o do now, I'm clearly not qualified to start tinkering with the code and trying to fix that on my own. :(

][Moon][Shine][

Post by ][Moon][Shine][ » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:27 pm

With the CalebTheWizard converter totally messing up and me not having the proper knowledge to tinker with it, I guess my best bet is trying to convert using the Vanilla -> SMF -> phpBB route. Right now I'm stuck with the SMF converter, because it was written for Vanilla 1 and has been updated to Vanilla 2.0.x but it's not really working on Vanilla 2.1.x. I was able to make some changes to make it run through the conversion without errors, but my major problem right now is that the initial posting of every thread is missing. I have made an extensive analyses here.

Who know that converting from Vanilla to phpBB could be that complicated. It really is a pity that there are two possible approaches, but both have not been kept updated and are now not working any more for the current version of Vanilla and phpBB. A direct conversion from Vanilla 2.1.x to phpBB 3.1.1 would be very much appreciated.

Return to “[3.1.x] Convertors”