vB 4.2 to phpbb 3.1 ?

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Farofylakas

vB 4.2 to phpbb 3.1 ?

Post by Farofylakas » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:52 pm

I have a healthy forum running vBulletin 4.2.2.

I'm just one step before updating to vB 5 or... maybe migrating to phpbb 3.1.6 ?

I have doubts as for the result. For example, what's going to happen with articles? And what's going to happen with my front page?

Does anybody know?

thunderclap82

Re: vB 4.2 to phpbb 3.1 ?

Post by thunderclap82 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:48 pm

Let me tell you it's not an easy process. First, as far as I've been able to find there is no direct converter from vB 4.2 to phpBB 3.1. You need to migrate to phpBB 3.0 first and then upgrade to 3.1. Not a big deal if the converter actually worked. I spent all day yesterday trying but the converter kept timing out about 20 min into the convention and I haven't been able to figure out why yet. I did manage to convert vB to MyBB to try and then convert THAT forum database but it also died. If you decide to go with phpBB I hope you're more successful than I've been so far.

As for the articles, those are part of the CMS portion of vB and I'm 99% sure they won't transfer as I think you're hoping. If memory serves, the CMS articles are stored in a hidden vB forum so it might transfer as a forum thread, but not keep the design of the CMS articles. Hopefully that makes sense.

thunderclap82

Post by thunderclap82 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:10 pm

Please disregard my previous post. Since I'm trying to convert from vBulletin (requiring the conversion happen to phpBB 3.0.x) I was trying to use THIS conversion with that installation and not phpBB 3.1.x. I've successfully started to MyBB to phpBB converter successfully now.

Farofylakas

Post by Farofylakas » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:14 pm

In the meanwhile I've upgraded to 3.1.6

Thanks for the input... It still seems kind of scary trying to migrate and I'm reluctant to loose the articles.

Return to “[3.1.x] Convertors”