Combined multi-language support pack?

Having a question about translating phpBB 3.1? Want to discuss and collaborate with people currently translating phpBB 3.1? Here would be the correct place to do so.
colnector

Combined multi-language support pack?

Post by colnector » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:30 am

How about creating a single package that will include ALL TRANSLATIONS available rather than making webmasters download each language pack separately? This would make it so much easier to upgrade.

leschek

Re: Combined multi-language support pack?

Post by leschek » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:30 pm

Not everybody need more than one or two languages (English and board main language). Also not all translations are created in the same time, so users would have to wait for all translations, or update the "all language pack" when new translation is added. I guess it is easier to just download a few translations needed on board.

colnector

Post by colnector » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:44 am

Not everybody but perhaps more webmaster than you'd think would be happy to easily setup all languages at once rather than having to always find the right packages. The webmasters who don't have the space could always simply remove unneeded languages from the package.
The multi-language package should be re-packaged automatically whenever new translations are added in whichever language and would have a history of which languages were updated. Webmasters could then choose if to update to the latest package.
This isn't to say the single-language packages should be removed as they are helpful to those in need of only a single language BUT the current situation is really extremely uncomfortable for anyone wanting a real multi-lingual forum and it shouldn't have to be this way.

marcovo
Name: Marco

Post by marcovo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:00 am

colnector wrote:This isn't to say the single-language packages should be removed as they are helpful to those in need of only a single language BUT the current situation is really extremely uncomfortable for anyone wanting a real multi-lingual forum and it shouldn't have to be this way.
It seems to me this leads to a problem. Mostly it is common to speak in one language on a board. If you're using multiple languages across a board, it may become a (huge?) mess. As such, it seams most natural to me to make the language the board is presented in the same as the language that's spoken in. Otherwise you have a board that's presenting in your native language, but you'll have to speak (for example) English anyways, so nothing is gained really.

Or am I missing something here?

Anyways, providing a package with all languages doesn't sound like a solution to me. I guess a possible solution might be to streamline the updating process of languages, so that languages can be updated through the ACP, without having to upload the files. That way all users might profit from it. Having said this, could it be possible to make an extension for this? :P

colnector

Post by colnector » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:47 am

Interface language and posts language don't have to be the same. On our forum people often use English to be widely understood but can understand an interface in their native language better. We've also added a "Translate" button that eases understanding of others' post - see viewtopic.php?f=491&t=2271231#p13784361

To your comment: yes, the best would obviously be that one can check desired languages and update them in a click via the ACP. All I was suggesting is a solution that's much simpler to implement for supporting an international forum. I suspect that an idea involving changes to the ACP would be much something that's not likely going to get implemented easily. Cool to see you've suggested it as an extension viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2272166

GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:58 am

A good solution might be to have a "language downloader" extension that lets you define the language packs you're using and checks for updates etc.
marcovo wrote:Or am I missing something here?
Yes. Some boards have subforums for different languages where the users post in a language other than the common board language, like this.

There are also people posting in English language boards with the help of a translator, and it will be easier for them if the user interface is in their own language. I used to have a board member like that, who would participate in an art forum by posting pictures, and she hardly spoke a word of English. Having a Japanese user interface helped her a lot.

At the moment, I run a language learners' board where people can switch the user interface when they are confident in the target language and can pick up some more language simply by having the interface.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:27 pm

Can you explain the usecase for why an administrator would want to install all languages on their board? I am trying to understand how this could be useful, which is the first thing to explain if you want something. Keep in mind that such a package would need to be updated whenever a change is made to any of the individual languages within.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

colnector

Post by colnector » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:51 am

You can see the use case on our collectors international forum, where the forum is multilingual (you can change the site's language with the language button on the top of the containing frame) and people use different interface languages and even write in different languages.
Ive further discussed it here: viewtopic.php?f=491&t=2271231

The current situation is very uncomfortable as we had to always download all language packs separately and try to figure out which have been updated. So instead of a single update, we've had to deal with dozens.

colnector

Post by colnector » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:39 am

Not much interest in the use case I've presented?
My question is simple: if adding/updating all languages would cost a webmaster about the same time as adding/updating one language, don't you believe more people would do that and thus make their forums more easily accessible?

aleksu
Translator

Post by aleksu » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:07 pm

No, because the posts itself will still be in the same language.
English is not my native language

colnector

Post by colnector » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:43 pm

For that an auto-translate button by Google does the magic. Obviously auto translations are not nearly as good as proper translations, but on our forums people manage to communicate with it.

Return to “[3.1.x] Translations”