Many languages still don't have 3.1.x translation packages

Having a question about translating phpBB 3.1? Want to discuss and collaborate with people currently translating phpBB 3.1? Here would be the correct place to do so.
colnector

Re: Many languages still don't have 3.1.x translation packages

Post by colnector »

There is a lot that can be done if there's a person who's responsible over the volunteering translators. We implement such a method on Colnect and get it translated to over 60 languages that way. I've tried to discuss it in another thread here, even offering our help, but it seemed to attract very little interest altogether. I hope that at some point in time the phpBB team will consider translations to be more important and thus attend to them. All the best.
GunChleoc

Post by GunChleoc »

You could try writing a PM to Raimon
colnector

Post by colnector »

Tried that as well to no avail. Thanks.
Sajaki

Post by Sajaki »

Perhaps it would be better to have someone in the PhpBB team who deals exclusively with translations. right now, the styles team leader does translations aswell. That doesn't really work in practice.
colnector

Post by colnector »

That's what I kept writing but it doesn't seem like anyone cares enough about this issue. It seems the perception is more like a "minor feature" rather than an important core feature of a product.
NewToPHPBoards

Post by NewToPHPBoards »

I too am very interested in the language capabilities of PHPBB.

I have dived in head first and am now committed to this software through the good times and the bad.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the language section is reliant on volunteers. I will be trying my best to provide Japanese and Hungarian translations for the 3.1.x build.

As priorities are being discussed in this thread, and as a new user of PHPBB, I hope you would find interest in me sharing my feeling on the current situation.

A core dev team is pushing along the core product of PHPBB and doing this well. Around the core product all the real benefits such as extensions and language packs are getting left far behind. Volunteers can't keep up with the pace of the core dev team. This I believe is a problem with this model. It was hard enough as a new user to get my head around what I can match with what. But now I have grasped all the concepts I worry that key benefits that sell the platform to new users could, in neglect, cause the core product to suffer.

Would it even be feasible if the core dev team slowed down the core product and focused on providing some exciting and useful extensions for the 3.1.x platform? Also - still no 3.1.x documentation. Is that on a road map or also requires a volunteer?
NewToPHPBoards

Post by NewToPHPBoards »

I just read up on the history of PHPBB and current team.

No one gets paid in PHPBB?

Full respect to you guys that do this for the love of it and please don't take my comments above as anything other but my humble opinion. I understand the pressures of volunteering skills in our spare time and will take this chance to thank the whole PHPBB team for keeping this product not only ticking over - but forging it forward.

I will - where I can - try and provide additions that I create and may be useful to the PHPBB community.

Return to “[3.1.x] Translations”