No language pack of British English for phpBB 3.1.x?

Having a question about translating phpBB 3.1? Want to discuss and collaborate with people currently translating phpBB 3.1? Here would be the correct place to do so.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: No language pack of British English for phpBB 3.1.x?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I would also suggest that the OP contact the french phpbb site and ask them why their version of phpbb is looking for files that don't exist in other language packs.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Darloup
Name: Henry

Post by Darloup »

Hello,
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:I would also suggest that the OP contact the french phpbb site and ask them why their version of phpbb is looking for files that don't exist in other language packs.
I've now done this...

May I stress again that there are three files missing in the British English directory, but only two are missing in the Spanish (informal) pack (the LICENSE file is present in this last pack).

Regards,

Henry
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Darloup wrote:Hello,
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:I would also suggest that the OP contact the french phpbb site and ask them why their version of phpbb is looking for files that don't exist in other language packs.
I've now done this...

May I stress again that there are three files missing in the British English directory, but only two are missing in the Spanish (informal) pack (the LICENSE file is present in this last pack).

Regards,

Henry
No files are"missing" into the EN pack, other packages can have more files depending on the Authors.

What is unbelievable is that an Official (I think) phpBB Intl Board gives out a non original version of phpBB (instead to link users to download it from here) and also removes the EN pack, that's necessary in any case like the prosilvers style shipped with.

You could have downloaded it from here and also from here the French Pack.
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/translation/french/
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Darloup
Name: Henry

Post by Darloup »

Hello,
3Di wrote:No files are"missing" into the EN pack, other packages can have more files depending on the Authors.

What is unbelievable is that an Official (I think) phpBB Intl Board gives out a non original version of phpBB (instead to link users to download it from here) and also removes the EN pack, that's necessary in any case like the prosilvers style shipped with.
OK, let me resume what I did:

1) I downloaded the phpBB full software package from the phpBB.fr site. I downloaded the "Pack Français" (that's the one with RED letters) available from this page: http://www.phpbb-fr.com/telechargements/

This pack has only the French language included.

2) Then I decided to add the British English language pack. phpBB-fr doesn't have this pack and links to: https://www.phpbb.com/languages/

Unfortunately, phpBB.com does not have the British English language pack for version 3.1.x (for the time being), so I followed the instructions given in this thread: I downloaded the original phpBB full version from here https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/ and extracted/copied the EN directory.

3) I also need the Spanish (Casual Honorifics) language pack which I downloaded from here: https://www.phpbb.com/languages/

In short:

- Full phpBB software pack WITH FRENCH LANGUAGE ONLY downloaded from http://www.phpbb-fr.com/telechargements/
- British English language extracted from the full phpBB software pack downladed from https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/
- Spanish (Casual Honorifics) language pack downloaded from https://www.phpbb.com/languages/

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Henry
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

I did read the whole topic before to reply, and yes . . .

Again, you should have downloaded the full phpBBpackage from here (that is shipped with British English) and then, always from here (I gave you the link above) downloaded the French pack.

The issue is that the full phpBB French package must have the British pack shipped with, better not to ship any phpBB version but just the french pack. The EN pack must stay in place, so the prosilver style.

I am reiterating. :)
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Lumpy Burgertushie

and the point is that the package you downloaded from the fresh phpbb site is not the same phpbb that is available here. if it was, it would not be even looking for those files that is says are "missing" since they are not in the official language packs you get from here.

the french site's phpbb package has been changed some how to make it look for those files.

if you download the full package from here, remove the config.php file and upload all the rest to your server instead of using the version from the french site, you will no longer have this problem with the errors.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
cabot

Post by cabot »

Hello,

This is not a problem with the files provided by phpbb-fr in particular.

When installing a language pack by default other than the original and that which contain additional files, there is a notification about missing files in the other packs.

Phpbb-fr add 3 files (composer.json, LICENSE, VERSION.md) that are not in the original (en) language directory but the problem is the same with the other languages because all packs contain at least one more file (LICENSE).
Skouat
Code Contributor

Post by Skouat »

Hi Darloup,

To complete the answer of cabot and for your knowledge, phpBB allows Translators to add some additionnal files in the language pack.
Here is the list: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb-translat ... validation

Only the file "composer.json" must be remove from our language pack. We will fix that in the next version.

You can ignore the warning returned by phpBB, because it concerns files that are not language files.
Lumpy Burgertushie

I don't believe that the phpbb you get from here will show that error about missing files no matter what language pack you download from here and install.
If that is the case, then why does the phpbb you get from the french site do so?

robert

cabot

Post by cabot »

There is nothing to believe, try it by yourself and you will see that some files are reported as missing in the original language pack when you install an other language by default.
Skouat
Code Contributor

Post by Skouat »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:I don't believe that the phpbb you get from here will show that error about missing files no matter
All language packs that include one of the files listed below, return this warning.
  • Language packages must contain 1 additional files:
    • language/{iso}/LICENSE
  • Language packages may contain 4 more additional files:
    • language/{iso}/AUTHORS or language/{iso}/AUTHORS.md
    • language/{iso}/CHANGELOG or language/{iso}/CHANGELOG.md
    • language/{iso}/README or language/{iso}/README.md
    • language/{iso}/VERSION or language/{iso}/VERSION.md
source: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb-translat ... validation

Nothing more to say about this "issue"
JimA wrote:So I've created a ticket in the Website Tracker for this issue. :)
This issue should be reported in the phpBB tracker, not in the Website Tracker.
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

Skouat wrote:
JimA wrote:So I've created a ticket in the Website Tracker for this issue. :)
This issue should be reported in the phpBB tracker, not in the Website Tracker.
Well, the issue I reported is that there is no language package for British English for 3.1 website on phpBB.com while I think there should be, so that would be a website issue for phpBB.com.

But feel free to create your own ticket for the phpBB issue with error message regarding extra files. :)
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

After having read the core code I can confirm that's not a bug, IMO works as intended.

It could be enhanced maybe in order to avoid to display those 3/4 files the Translator can add to the package, so to also avoid support requests like this one. But..

The system checks if the current lang is different from the default lang, then highlight missing files and variables.

Ref.: phpBB/includes/acp/acp_language.php.
david63

Post by david63 »

And there is talk, over on Area51, that in a future version (3.3?) that these files will probably be required when the installation of languages, and styles, will be more along the lines of extensions.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
scootergrisen
Translator

Post by scootergrisen »

There are still no language pack for versions like 3.1.6.
I wanted to compare another language that have a translations for 3.1.6 with the source (british english) but there are no british english 3.1.6.
I suggest that all the versions should be there.

Return to “[3.1.x] Translations”