Marketplace extension

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
parthunter_harrison

Re: Marketplace extension

Post by parthunter_harrison » Sat May 26, 2018 4:15 am

I have a similar setup but I use Wordpress with a phpbb forum as a subdomain

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy » Sun May 27, 2018 5:57 pm

To add to this, many people wanting a forum built need a solid marketplace extension and it's one of the main unfortunate reasons that we can't go with phpbb.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][ALPHA] Anonymous Posts

Duane 3NE 2NR

Post by Duane 3NE 2NR » Sun May 27, 2018 6:06 pm

Toxyy wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 5:57 pm
To add to this, many people wanting a forum built need a solid marketplace extension and it's one of the main unfortunate reasons that we can't go with phpbb.
What is your solution to have a forum based marketplace / online Classifieds?

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy » Tue May 29, 2018 3:41 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:06 pm
Toxyy wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 5:57 pm
What is your solution to have a forum based marketplace / online Classifieds?
For phpbb? I had to do custom topic fields that appeared at the top of the posts for this one guy to make a simple marketplace forum. Changed the new topic name to new listing, added auto updating prefixes, auto topic closing, time until topic closes in the thread itself as well. But most people want to use other forum software that has a marketplace that is either tied to some sort of point gamification or coin api or PayPal.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][ALPHA] Anonymous Posts

espen83

Post by espen83 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:38 pm

Bump.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:20 pm

why not just install a classified/marketplace script instead of trying to make a bulletin board a classified site?

you could have both installed if you wanted to also have discussions about whatever.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Hartenheer
Name: Willem Hartman

Post by Hartenheer » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:32 pm

There has been asked for this extension many times.
It turns out to be more difficult than people think.

That is why I switched to osclass for a marketplace. This is a special market place.
Sorry English is not my native language :oops:

espen83

Post by espen83 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:39 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:20 pm
why not just install a classified/marketplace script instead of trying to make a bulletin board a classified site?

you could have both installed if you wanted to also have discussions about whatever.

robert
I'm not trying to make a bulletin board a classified site. You lack imagination in a major way if you can only see one or the other. I did at one point install an auction script, but having to maintain two separate databases and also convincing users to register on a secondary platform is quite the hassle. Another problem is merging the two and problems that may arise once phpbb or the auction software gets an update etc. Lots of potential pitfalls.

I don't get this naysaying attitude. We already have extensions like it, but they are for forced themes and that sort so it's not like this is something that is completely undoable, pointless or that nobody wants such an extension. Heck if you look at the competition there are already several solutions available, we also have users in this very thread saying that they chose not to use Phpbb because the lack of such extension. Phpbb lacks majorly in ways user can monetize their forums. We also had such extensions back in 3.0..

Maybe you would call similar extensions such as galleries pointless as well? No, they add to the user experience.

Duane 3NE 2NR

Post by Duane 3NE 2NR » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:03 pm

espen83 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:39 pm
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:20 pm

robert
I'm not trying to make a bulletin board a classified site. You lack imagination in a major way if you can only see one or the other. I did at one point install an auction script, but having to maintain two separate databases and also convincing users to register on a secondary platform is quite the hassle. Another problem is merging the two and problems that may arise once phpbb or the auction software gets an update etc. Lots of potential pitfalls.

I don't get this naysaying attitude. We already have extensions like it, but they are for forced themes and that sort so it's not like this is something that is completely undoable, pointless or that nobody wants such an extension. Heck if you look at the competition there are already several solutions available, we also have users in this very thread saying that they chose not to use Phpbb because the lack of such extension. Phpbb lacks majorly in ways user can monetize their forums. We also had such extensions back in 3.0..

Maybe you would call similar extensions such as galleries pointless as well? No, they add to the user experience.
I'd have to agree. An extension or feature of the forum where Administrators can add additional fields other than "Subject" and "Body" can have many different uses. The ability for Administrators to change the format in which topics are presented on viewforum.php e.g. with a thumbnail of the first image as the lead image or letting users set a lead image and formatting of the Title etc. can have many different uses. Both of these features could go a long way in helping Administrators to configure certain rooms of their forum to be better suited as Classifieds or trading posts for their community. Surely features like these can't be rocket science, but would greatly improve the usefulness of forums.
Forum Administrators are currently competing for traffic against social media behemoths as it is, these behemoths are adding classified ads and trading post features to groups and pages putting them at an even greater advantage!

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:10 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:03 pm
An extension or feature of the forum where Administrators can add additional fields other than "Subject" and "Body" can have many different uses. The ability for Administrators to change the format in which topics are presented on viewforum.php e.g. with a thumbnail of the first image as the lead image or letting users set a lead image and formatting of the Title etc. can have many different uses. Both of these features could go a long way in helping Administrators to configure certain rooms of their forum to be better suited as Classifieds or trading posts for their community. Surely features like these can't be rocket science, but would greatly improve the usefulness of forums.
There is nothing wrong with that suggestion, nor with the marketplace idea, it is just that they take a lot of work to create, and maintain.

As an extension developer my approach is that I have to not only have the time to create the extension (and in some cases you can be talking several hundred hours) but also, more importantly, the interest in that particular extension, and this is how the majority of extension developers approach creating an extension. Also the attitude of some users in how they think an extension should work, or features that it should have, does little to encourage the creation of extensions. If I had wanted a marketplace on my site I would have created one by now.

This extension is a point in question - it was requested some 16 months ago and, as far as I am aware, nobody has produced a working extension yet - so as Lumpy suggests sometimes it is more pragmatic to use something that already exists if it is so important that you have that feature on your site - the alternative is to wait another 16 months and even then there may not be a suitable extension.

(There is a further option and that is to try and create the extension yourself)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Duane 3NE 2NR

Post by Duane 3NE 2NR » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:35 pm

(spam)

Hartenheer
Name: Willem Hartman

Post by Hartenheer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:09 am

This has been asked for a long time.
You know what's so weird @david63, there's been a script.

Maybe I am one of the oldest to have a forum, but more than 25 years ago I already had a forum

I do not know if this was PBPbb.
You then had to paste pieces of script into your forum. Extensies bestonden er niet

There was a sales page, the same as the forum
The only additions were, it was listed as an ad page.
And there was a box where you could bid.
If the bid was lower, it was refused

But this has been years ago and I do not even know if PHPbb existed at that time
Sorry English is not my native language :oops:

Duane 3NE 2NR

Post by Duane 3NE 2NR » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:18 pm

david63 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:10 am
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:03 pm
An extension or feature of the forum where Administrators can add additional fields other than "Subject" and "Body" can have many different uses. The ability for Administrators to change the format in which topics are presented on viewforum.php e.g. with a thumbnail of the first image as the lead image or letting users set a lead image and formatting of the Title etc. can have many different uses. Both of these features could go a long way in helping Administrators to configure certain rooms of their forum to be better suited as Classifieds or trading posts for their community. Surely features like these can't be rocket science, but would greatly improve the usefulness of forums.
There is nothing wrong with that suggestion, nor with the marketplace idea, it is just that they take a lot of work to create, and maintain.

As an extension developer my approach is that I have to not only have the time to create the extension (and in some cases you can be talking several hundred hours) but also, more importantly, the interest in that particular extension, and this is how the majority of extension developers approach creating an extension. Also the attitude of some users in how they think an extension should work, or features that it should have, does little to encourage the creation of extensions. If I had wanted a marketplace on my site I would have created one by now.

This extension is a point in question - it was requested some 16 months ago and, as far as I am aware, nobody has produced a working extension yet - so as Lumpy suggests sometimes it is more pragmatic to use something that already exists if it is so important that you have that feature on your site - the alternative is to wait another 16 months and even then there may not be a suitable extension.

(There is a further option and that is to try and create the extension yourself)
Creating one myself is beyond my capability. How can a forum owner motivate an extension developer to create such an extension?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:26 pm

I would imagine looking at the raft of offers that it isn't going to happen any time soon.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:30 pm

I would just search a marketplace software script and try to integrate into phpBB via CMS or something.. Think that's going to be faster :D
Wij promoten UW muziek in ons forum & delen alles via Sociale media!
Muziek wordt ook toegevoegd in de playlist van
textradio.be!
Mail uw single + hoesje + info naar: info@muziekpromo.net of Solidjeuh@textradio.be
===============
Onze Website: https://www.muziekpromo.net

Return to “Extension Requests”