Anti lurker extension

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Suggested Hosts
Satusnovus

Re: Anti lurker extension

Post by Satusnovus »

From my Analytics data I can see that about 80% of the visitors is visiting the board weekly. But they are not all members (by far) so they don't just come accidentally at the board they visit it mostly every week.

I mainly read an old-fashioned approach in which most modern ways of communication do succeed and that is registrations from readers.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

If registration is required only to read something that may be interesting or not, then the whole point of registration is pointless/useless. There are ways to do what you want, but will someone do it, only time will tell.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
Macko
Name: Mac Ko

Post by Macko »

The 'view first post in a topic' for guests is great, although we did an update once upon a time, it got reset, and we just left it off. The biggest downside of it is that bots are blocked from viewing following posts as well.

Another GREAT way to get more people logged in is to have a private forum that you link to in open topics.

Basically, we focus a lot on the news on my forum, but we also link to our private forum for more details. We also have a minimum post requirement to get access, so they also have to be contributing members.

We definitely get people who register (and make a low amount of posts) just so that they can view the topics in our 'underground' news forum, that is often linked to in our public topics, when appropriate.

As someone else stated, a lot of our readership is returning visitors, and it now seems that several lurkers have registered so that they have more access.

Another idea: I don't know what your forum is about, but if you have anything you can offer people (like maybe a guide or something else informative/valuable, so to say), you can put that offer in your signature as a sort of 'call to action.'

As an example:

'Register to receive our free guide on how to XXXX. Send me a PM and I'll give it to you.' Or 'Register to get instant access to our XXXX forum.'

Again, think of what your readership is interested in.

And the last thing off the top of my head is to have a few POLLS in some topics. If it's interesting and something that they're passionate about, you might get people registering so that they can vote on your polls.

Put yourself in a visitors shoes and think of what would encourage YOU to register/login.
noth

Post by noth »

good points, I like the comments on polls particularly as these are fun to participate in

also back in 2015 Bruinoit had a good idea on this theme, he wrote an ext "Limit for Guests" which I enstalled and found extremely good at stopping lurkers, however I do also take the comments from Lumpy onboard , Bruinoits' ext was sadly abd after a couple of years, :cry: I liked it and thought it did address the issue somewhat

Return to “Extension Requests”