Sidebar (mini-panel)

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
georgehagel

Sidebar (mini-panel)

Post by georgehagel »

I noticed that the phpBB software forum features sidebar navigation - below - (identified as a mini-panel in the HTML).
Is there anyway to implement this kind of navigation feature in a 3.3 forum?
thanks

KaileyT
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Re: Sidebar (mini-panel)

Post by KaileyT »

Those mini panels are custom code, so I've moved it to the correct forum. What exactly are you trying to add navigation for?
Kailey Truscott - Community Team
georgehagel

Post by georgehagel »

I want to keep the links to the various sections in a left-hand column posted on all pages so you don't have to keep going back to the index page - as seen in the (non-phpbb) forum below:

Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

There is a thing called jumpbox
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-My Styles-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
HexagonHexagonRebornCleanSilverProject Durango
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Need help with styling or want me to port a style to 3.3.x etc. contact me here or here.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

Custom sidebars are easy enough to implement. I'm not allowed to directly advertise, but there's a link in my signature that might be of some interest to you.

There might also be freebies which do the same thing, so be sure to check the customisation database for those.

As for the forum list displaying in the sidebar, you could put something like this in the sidebar template file. If you're using premium sidebars that will be yourforum.com/ext/planetstyles/premiumsidebars/styles/prosilver/template/event/overall_footer_content_after.html, find:

Code: Select all

<div class="right-sidebar">
On a new line below, add:

<!-- IF S_DISPLAY_JUMPBOX -->
    <ul class="dropdown-contents">
    <!-- BEGIN jumpbox_forums -->
        <!-- IF jumpbox_forums.FORUM_ID neq -1 -->
        <li><a href="{jumpbox_forums.LINK}" class="<!-- IF jumpbox_forums.level -->jumpbox-sub-link<!-- ELSEIF jumpbox_forums.S_IS_CAT -->jumpbox-cat-link<!-- ELSE -->jumpbox-forum-link<!-- ENDIF -->"><!-- BEGIN level --><span class="spacer"></span><!-- END level --> <span><!-- IF jumpbox_forums.level --><!-- IF S_CONTENT_DIRECTION eq 'rtl' -->&#8626;<!-- ELSE -->&#8627;<!-- ENDIF --> &nbsp;<!-- ENDIF --> {jumpbox_forums.FORUM_NAME}</span></a></li>
        <!-- ENDIF -->
    <!-- END jumpbox_forums -->
    </ul>
<!-- ENDIF -->
It will generate the following result:
sidebar_forums.png
If you're using the premium sidebar extension you can also add the following code to one of prosilver's stylesheets to tidy up the appearance (probably the bottom of content.css):

.right-sidebar ul.dropdown-contents li {
	list-style: none;
}
22.png
The only real caveat is that it won't show on the index page, although your full forumlist is shown on the index page anyway so maybe this isn't a problem.

If you're using a free sidebar extension you'll need to ask that extension author where to place the code and what the CSS fix is to remove the bullet points from the list items :)
georgehagel

Post by georgehagel »

Thanks for the input! I will get to work on this.
Miri4ever

Post by Miri4ever »

I use something like this for my page:

it can be slide in from left or right corner of your screen.
Attachments
ww.JPG
Homepage: Terra Oceanica

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”