Post Limit per group.

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Ideas Centre
nemo1966

Post Limit per group.

Post by nemo1966 »

I have a forum and some users tend to swamp topics and/or the forum with mindless rubbish.

Instead of iposing a ban it would be nice to give the user or group a daily post limit.

E.g. A group could be created called "Spammers" and this group could have a post per day limit of 50 posts. Instead of banning the user I could stick them in this group for a week as a punishment/reminder not to overlaod the forum.

I have used other froum software and this was included by default.

thank you
Nemo
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Post Limit per group.

Post by warmweer »

nemo1966 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:11 pm
Instead of iposing a ban it would be nice to give the user or group a daily post limit.

E.g. A group could be created called "Spammers" and this group could have a post per day limit of 50 posts. Instead of banning the user I could stick them in this group for a week as a punishment/reminder not to overlaod the forum.
50 posts per day isn't something I'ld consider a punishment.
Spammers should lose their posting permissions for a specific period
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
nemo1966

Post by nemo1966 »

warmweer wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:22 pm
nemo1966 wrote:

That would really depend on the amount of posts you usually make per day. That said, the amount really isn't the point here, the ability to restrict it is.

thanks
php-BB-Is-Awesome

Post by php-BB-Is-Awesome »

I am confused. If these people are not spamming your site, why would you wish to discourage regular activity? Most people are trying to grow their communities and encourage regular 'chit chat' whenever possible.
nemo1966

Post by nemo1966 »

php-BB-Is-Awesome wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:59 am
I am confused. If these people are not spamming your site, why would you wish to discourage regular activity? Most people are trying to grow their communities and encourage regular 'chit chat' whenever possible.
Try reading the post again then... "Instead of imposing a ban it would be nice to give the user or group a daily post limit." :roll:
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Frankly I don't expect much interest in a feature like that (but I could be mistaken - it has happened in the past and will continue to happen in the future).

Why not try to make an extension yourself?

At least 1 extra field is needed in the users_table: e.g. postcount_today. I think you can probably almost copy the procedure for postcount to increment that for each post (+ decrement that if the post is deleted)
Then you'll need a procedure to set that to 0 at the beginning of the day. Which means you'll have to decide on what is the beginning of the day: your timezone or the user's timezone?

Then (just going from memory) by modifying the autogroup extension slightly (or adding), you could, based on postcount_today, autoadd a user to a group with no posting permissions, effectively preventing him from posting.
And I think another autogroup rule could be made to remove a user from that group after 1 day membership (or the start of a day): see https://github.com/phpbb-extensions/aut ... uto-Groups
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Random American

Post by Random American »

warmweer wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:22 pm
nemo1966 wrote:

Or be put on the Moderation Queue, where all their posts need approval until the board Administrators decide. phpBB.com uses this as an alternative to a temp ban for some ill behaved users.
I'm just a regular member of the phpBB Community. I do NOT represent phpBB.com in any capacity and my opinions are solely my own.

Return to “Extension Requests”