Bump a topic

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Anti-Spam Guide
TheButcher2

Bump a topic

Post by TheButcher2 »

Hi guys can anyone come up with an extension to bump topics. Some times certain topics could do with being brought back to page 1 on the forum , not necessarily by making them a sticky.

Peace

Dave
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Re: Bump a topic

Post by 3Di »

To bump topics it is already a native feature shipped with phpBB.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 »

3Di wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:20 pm To bump topics it is already a native feature shipped with phpBB.

You missed my point, let me explain in another way, I want to be able to bump or bring down a topic. I do not mean the topic starter, replying to a topic or making it sticky.

Some topics go off the main page because my forum is rather active and it makes sense to bring them back to the 1st page for more discussion, I don't want to keep replying with "bump" to do this.

Also some topics are just useless and you as the admin/moderator would rather move it down so it does not detract form more useful topics.

I used to have another forum software for 14 years in which this was an option ( not going to mention the name).

Peace
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

I didn't miss the point, you asked for a feature specifically. What you need is to cement a topic then.

So now, you can try this extension (you did it already some time ago)
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2491876
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 »

3Di wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:30 pm I didn't miss the point, you asked for a feature specifically. What you need is to cement a topic then.

I could not get it to show up last time, but thanks for reminding me.

But re-installed it and it works. May I ask you is there a way to pick a minus number to bring a topic lower too?
TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 »

3Di wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:30 pm I didn't miss the point, you asked for a feature specifically. What you need is to cement a topic then.

all good and it works but when you bump a topic and it goes to the top, when does it come down, what I was hoping was when a topic further down gets replied to it would push the bumped topic down by one, otherwise it is basically just like a sticky.

Cheers
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

For extensions still in development support is in that extensions's topic in the Extensions in Development forum.
TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 »

3Di wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:26 pm For extensions still in development support is in that extensions's topic in the Extensions in Development forum.
fair enough point taken, would you like me to copy paste this on there, or leave it here.

Peace
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

TheButcher2 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:30 pm
3Di wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:26 pm For extensions still in development support is in that extensions's topic in the Extensions in Development forum.
fair enough point taken, would you like me to copy paste this on there, or leave it here.

Peace
The question is whether it's relevant to that extension. Your topic title explicitly refers to bumping a topic, for which there is a native feature and also an extension with extras (3Di's topic Cement).

If you want to push down a topic: that 's a whole new feature so either you request an addition to an existing extension (or in development), or, you request a new extension but then you'll need to explain the details of the expected result AND use a descriptive topic title.
TheButcher2 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:20 pm all good and it works but when you bump a topic and it goes to the top, when does it come down, what I was hoping was when a topic further down gets replied to it would push the bumped topic down by one, otherwise it is basically just like a sticky.
So it seems you want to be able to bump a topic and if another topic gets a reply, it should jump up the list passing the bumped topic: that is with topicsort order descending based on last post time. That is itself is the default feature.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

I guess the OP does not know how to enable that native bump feature. ;)
Which BTW I am not sure or I do not recall it it only works for the original poster_ID or also for mods/admins though, never used TBH.

My extension does exactly the same but only on cemented topics.
Those are based on topic_priority then last post time. :ugeek:

Plus adds a lot of features.
TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 »

I bumped a members topic not one I had started. It went to the top, I replied to a topic below this, the bumped topic remained on top. The point I was trying to achieve is when i bump any topic, it goes up but when a lower down topic is replied to then this replied to topic goes to the top.

Otherwise it is just as if you stickied the bumped topic and it stays on top.

If it can do the opposite too that would be nice, where you can make a topic go down, but I realize that is not possible.

So please tell me how I am supposed to bump a topic up and not have it stay on top. What I did is change the 0 to 1.

Peace
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

3Di wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:13 pm I guess the OP does not know how to enable that native bump feature.
I mean you do not need my extension. Just use native tools.
3Di wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:20 pm To bump topics it is already a native feature shipped with phpBB.
3Di wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:13 pm Which BTW I am not sure or I do not recall it it only works for the original poster_ID or also for mods/admins though, never used TBH.
Use the search facility about "how to bump a topic".
TheButcher2 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:26 pm I don't want to keep replying with "bump" to do this.
With the native feature you do not have to. ;)
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

An easy way to bump other users' topics (as admin) is to change the post-time using javiexin's extension, or to make use of the test_user_permissions of the last poster (assuming that user has bump permissions).

As admin you can also always just add a post to bump a topic. (and later remove that post it you want the topic to drop down the list).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 »

warmweer wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:18 pm An easy way to bump other users' topics (as admin) is to change the post-time using javiexin's extension, or to make use of the test_user_permissions of the last poster (assuming that user has bump permissions).

As admin you can also always just add a post to bump a topic. (and later remove that post it you want the topic to drop down the list).
Thanks for the suggestion but that would be tacky of me to reply to a topic to bump it and have others reply after me then remove my post.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Do not change the post-time using javiexin's extension.

Return to “Extension Requests”