Advertising management

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
Ltb

Re: Advertising management

Post by Ltb » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:16 am

Crap, the same...didn't know about it till now...also would have vote for Advertising mod...very important functionality of every forum :roll:
Ltb

wrkalot

Post by wrkalot » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:37 am

I do agree that some form of ad management would be great. I currently am running 4 phpbb 3.1.x forums and have had to manually edit templates to display ads to my liking. Upgrading styles is a pain :)
Tutorial: How to add ads to your forum viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2417316

martti

Post by martti » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:15 am

sakkiotto wrote:
igorbond wrote:
umarizal wrote:A great alternative extension: viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2275361
no rotation
a poor alternative... It is not the same thing :)
OmkePom wrote:Abetter altenative is:

viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2306561

if you could change the positions manualy!
A word here to defend the Custom Code extension. (I have to as it's called here 'poor alternative' and I'm the developer.) Despite it is not called 'Adsense extension', it has everything on board what is needed. The need is to insert some code from the advertisement provider.

The Custom Code extension:
  • Possible to have your advertisment code in many different locations.
  • Total freedom in styling.
  • Uses the template cache. No database reads are involved. Your javascript code from Adsense or other advertisement providers is static. There's no point to have it in the database.
  • Is near-ready. Some help on completing the translations is welcome. (some keys are missing in some translations.)
For rotational ads, use javascript. But in order not to jeopardize your account, check out if this is not against the TOS of the advertisement provider.
For rotational placement of ads, which is probably not against the TOS of the advertisement provider, you can use javascript too.

In short, the Custom Code extension provides a lot of flexibility, but this freedom brings that you have to do little bit more tweaking yourself (you have to add the containing html and maybe css). But then again, there are examples on how to use in the Custom Code topic.

espen83

Post by espen83 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:05 am

Custom code might be good for those who use google adsense while we wait for an extension for advertisement management, but for people like me who sell ads directly and use .jpgs, gifs, and want to be able to rotate them, monitor them, have them expire after a certain date or certain amount of clicks, shown to only select groups, have the owner of the ad being able to check statistics etc its a poor alternative.

martti

Post by martti » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:13 am

espen83 wrote:Custom code might be good for those who use google adsense while we wait for an extension for advertisement management, but for people like me who sell ads directly and use .jpgs, gifs, and want to be able to rotate them, monitor them, have them expire after a certain date or certain amount of clicks, shown to only select groups, have the owner of the ad being able to check statistics etc its a poor alternative.
I suppose if you sell ads, this management stuff is on your side, not on an board owners' side. Or do I get it wrong? Do you have an example of a MOD of what you are looking for?

espen83

Post by espen83 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:27 am

I guess i should have said sell "ad space" in stead of ads.

If you want an example of the mod then have a look at the screenshots here.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... anagement/

martti

Post by martti » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:22 am

espen83 wrote:I guess i should have said sell "ad space" in stead of ads.

If you want an example of the mod then have a look at the screenshots here.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... anagement/
It makes more sense to me to have the ad server decoupled from phpbb. Open source ad server example: http://www.revive-adserver.com/

sakkiotto

Post by sakkiotto » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:56 pm

martti wrote:
sakkiotto wrote:
igorbond wrote:
umarizal wrote:A great alternative extension: viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2275361
no rotation
a poor alternative... It is not the same thing :)
OmkePom wrote:Abetter altenative is:

viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2306561

if you could change the positions manualy!
A word here to defend the Custom Code extension. (I have to as it's called here 'poor alternative' and I'm the developer.) Despite it is not called 'Adsense extension', it has everything on board what is needed. The need is to insert some code from the advertisement provider.

The Custom Code extension:
  • Possible to have your advertisment code in many different locations.
  • Total freedom in styling.
  • Uses the template cache. No database reads are involved. Your javascript code from Adsense or other advertisement providers is static. There's no point to have it in the database.
  • Is near-ready. Some help on completing the translations is welcome. (some keys are missing in some translations.)
For rotational ads, use javascript. But in order not to jeopardize your account, check out if this is not against the TOS of the advertisement provider.
For rotational placement of ads, which is probably not against the TOS of the advertisement provider, you can use javascript too.

In short, the Custom Code extension provides a lot of flexibility, but this freedom brings that you have to do little bit more tweaking yourself (you have to add the containing html and maybe css). But then again, there are examples on how to use in the Custom Code topic.
sorry brother,
It was not to disparage your work. but i use advertisment managment, there are functions that i used for statistics banner etc etc..

wrkalot

Post by wrkalot » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:14 pm

Well, I just discovered the Custom Code ext and it works nearly perfectly for my needs. I sell direct advertising and use adsense. I am using DFP w/Adsense and it's allowing me to make almost zero edits to any templates making upgrading much easier.

The only edit I have made is to the viewtopic_body.html where I insert a 336x200 inside the first post (float to the right of the first post content), which the extension isn't capable of due to the lack of an event in that location.

martti

Post by martti » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:32 pm

wrkalot wrote:Well, I just discovered the Custom Code ext and it works nearly perfectly for my needs. I sell direct advertising and use adsense. I am using DFP w/Adsense and it's allowing me to make almost zero edits to any templates making upgrading much easier.

The only edit I have made is to the viewtopic_body.html where I insert a 336x200 inside the first post (float to the right of the first post content), which the extension isn't capable of due to the lack of an event in that location.
In order to keep the phpbb code base untouched, you could consider to fork the ext and add the viewtopic_body_postrow_post_details_after as described here.

Or you could do it with Javascript as described here. (Add float right styling)

espen83

Post by espen83 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:15 am

I wanna know if advertisement management is next on the list of official extensions after paypal donations or if there will be another vote.

wrkalot

Post by wrkalot » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:14 am

martti wrote:
wrkalot wrote:Well, I just discovered the Custom Code ext and it works nearly perfectly for my needs. I sell direct advertising and use adsense. I am using DFP w/Adsense and it's allowing me to make almost zero edits to any templates making upgrading much easier.

In order to keep the phpbb code base untouched, you could consider to fork the ext and add the viewtopic_body_postrow_post_details_after as described here.

Or you could do it with Javascript as described here. (Add float right styling)
Dude, your script is a beast. Thank YOU!

krasab

Post by krasab » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:55 am

I also really need expansion of MOD "Advertising management".
When it appears?

jonasj

Post by jonasj » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:59 pm

Hi

Has anyone managed to use another Ext to fix your advertising :?:

espen83

Post by espen83 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:55 pm

Not really, no.

If you only have one advertiser for a fixed position and don't have the need for any statistics on the banner(s) then i suppose you could use custom code, but if you want statistics, being able to rotate banners and all that good stuff, then no, there are no alternatives.

Return to “Extension Requests”