phpBB WYSIWYG Editor for 3.1

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
Max_69

Re: phpBB WYSIWYG Editor for 3.1

Post by Max_69 »

david63 wrote:Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V
editor normal does not work, inserts text only
Max_69

Post by Max_69 »

In my test forum sceditor works in online forums but does not work and I do not understand why.
alhitary
Name: Basil Taha Alhitary

Post by alhitary »

DavidIQ wrote: Drop it in, enable it, done. Forum now has an available WYSIWYG editor. I'm still not sure why so many people want to complain about x feature not currently being in the core when these features can be added in through an extension in a matter of minutes... even if 3.2 does not get a WYSIWYG editor included (no way 3.1 will get one at this point) there are now options for easily adding one in and most 3.1 extensions are expected to work with 3.2 as is.
Because like this : viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2307121&hilit=wysiwyg
After a while, it will abandoned as coder or owner of the extension stop supporting and then we get problem after abandon. So, it is better and secure to use it without problem when it is added by phpbb team.

The true is that Phpbb here don't care about Arabs desire to get WYSIWYG editor in phpbb and will do nothing for that ( as i mentioned in above post ), while if 50 or 100 non-Arabic pple want any features or addition, we will find phpBB team do care about it and do it. :mrgreen:
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

The true is that Phpbb here don't care about Arabs desire to get WYSIWYG editor in phpbb and will do nothing for that ( as i mentioned in above post ), while if 50 or 100 non-Arabic pple want any features or addition, we will find phpBB team do care about it and do it.
that is complete nonsense!
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

alhitary wrote:Because like this : viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2307121&hilit=wysiwyg
After a while, it will abandoned as coder or owner of the extension stop supporting and then we get problem after abandon. So, it is better and secure to use it without problem when it is added by phpbb team.
Well that's the way things work out sometimes. People lose interest or find out that what they were planning was more trouble than what it's worth. Not the end of the world and if it is something that people are just DYING for then someone else will pick up the work, which has not really happened with any particular WYSIWYG MOD or extension.
alhitary wrote:The true is that Phpbb here don't care about Arabs desire to get WYSIWYG editor in phpbb and will do nothing for that ( as i mentioned in above post ), while if 50 or 100 non-Arabic pple want any features or addition, we will find phpBB team do care about it and do it. :mrgreen:
Like Robert said, that is complete and utter nonsense. Please stop with these ridiculous comments. Also it was scheduled for inclusion in 3.2 so your comment is not only ignorant but baseless.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
Musikus

Post by Musikus »

The advantage of WYSIWYG is that new user to the bulletin world can use it easily as they know it from their daily behaviour with ms-word and also other websites. But WYSIWYG today needs more to match the user experience. Drag and drop of files and pictures and also to convert and show Videos inline as I paste the URL, is also a need for a new editor.

A WYSIWYG-editor in my opinion is a tool to make it as easy as possible for users to write content. The longer they have to struggle with BB-Code or wonder why they don't see the picture and video, the less they write. When I hit the h-Key, I want to see the "h" in the editor. But a user also wants to see the picture and video they put in the editor an not the URL. They are used to it and they expect it. So it's all for the user-experience to help him and to encourage him to write more content.

(Soryy for my bad english but I hope you undestand what I mean.)
KlausiMaus

Post by KlausiMaus »

Seems the horizontal line is not working; see it in the editor, but not in the posting there is only [hr] :(
Klaus (http://forum.kuhnert.ch/) :: Keep it simple, stupid :!:
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

KlausiMaus wrote:Seems the horizontal line is not working; see it in the editor, but not in the posting there is only [hr] :(
Report it in the development topic for that extension. This topic is not meant for support of any extension.
Greylock3491

Post by Greylock3491 »

Good afternoon,

I recently created a new forum and because I was a big user and fan of PHPBB in the past (2007) I thought it would be cool to use it once again :-)

Currently, I have several websites based on Wordpress, and my main forum uses IP Board 4.x, and they both have very reliable (I use them daily) wysiwyg post editors.

I'm so use to them that I'm having a hard time going back to a system without one... so I figured I would just ask the question - am I missing something, or does PHPBB not have a wysiwyg post editor as of today?

PS - In one of the dozens of posts I've reviewed, someone mentioned Advanced BBCode Box, but that's a very cool BBCode toolbar, not a wysiwyg post editor, at least as it is installed on my site and in the demo here.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Grey
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

no, there is no wysiwyg editor in phpbb. there will probably never be one as part of the core. the whole point of phpbb is to be a basic bulletin board. things like wysiwyg editors are not normally needed for a bulletin board.
there is an extension in the development stage but I believe the author has found out why a wysiwyg editor has never really been successful in phpbb. apparently , it is very hard to make one work properly in phpbb.

check the extension forums for info about what may be in the works.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Greylock3491

Post by Greylock3491 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:no, there is no wysiwyg editor in phpbb. there will probably never be one as part of the core. the whole point of phpbb is to be a basic bulletin board. things like wysiwyg editors are not normally needed for a bulletin board.
there is an extension in the development stage but I believe the author has found out why a wysiwyg editor has never really been successful in phpbb. apparently , it is very hard to make one work properly in phpbb.

robert
Good morning Robert,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I really appreciate you confirming this for me - thanks!

Now though I'm in a jam... I'm just not sure what I'm going to do now as I don't think i can get use to not having the wysiwyg editor :-(

But I guess that's my problem lol - thanks again :-)

Grey
JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

Greylock3491 wrote:
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:no, there is no wysiwyg editor in phpbb. there will probably never be one as part of the core. the whole point of phpbb is to be a basic bulletin board. things like wysiwyg editors are not normally needed for a bulletin board.

robert
Good morning Robert,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I really appreciate you confirming this for me - thanks!

Now though I'm in a jam... I'm just not sure what I'm going to do now as I don't think i can get use to not having the wysiwyg editor :-(

But I guess that's my problem lol - thanks again :-)

Grey
Just to add to what Robert told you, this is the extension in development currently:
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2322921

You could give it a try on a test board and see if it's to your liking. Just be very aware, it still being in the development stage and it being such a complex project to integrate, there are likely still some bugs in the editor and you should really test it first before using it on a live board.
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
alhitary
Name: Basil Taha Alhitary

Post by alhitary »

There is no wysiwyg in coming 3.2 too as I see it is declined unfortunately.
I knew it already and expected it.
Maybe in 3.3.. I wish...
Kipperlenny

Post by Kipperlenny »

Crazy... So many boards I was or am working for used 3.0 with a WYSIWYG editor and after upgrading to 3.1 or 3.2RC they are all upset and think about using a different board software...

And no - I can never explain 300 (old) people how to use BBCodes - they need easy Img Upload Popups and "includ in post" Buttons.
They need easy URL Popups that asks for the URL etc. etc.
They need to see bold text as bold text and not as brackets with a "b" - they try to delete this nonsense inside their text.
They need a Paste from Word or similar Button, because they write long text with images and links inside Word, and once ready (sometimes it takes days to finish a post, like a travel experience) they want to create the post. They will NEVER user CTRL+C / V, they are "old" (over 30 ^^).

Btw. Security: This is not the problem with WYSIWYG editors - you can limit the allowed tags and check for tidy html before saving it to the database.
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Ok that's enough banter and off topic comments in this extension request topic. Since no one has stepped forward to answer the call for this extension request (or perhaps someone has?) and everyone instead just wants to post their opinion as to how phpBB should have a WYSIWYG editor and basically rehash and repeat everything that has been said in previous posts then this topic is now locked.

Bottom line: a WYSIWYG editor will likely be in 3.3 and if someone wants to add one to their 3.1 or 3.2 board they can use an extension that will take them all of 5 minutes to install so it's not that difficult.

Return to “Extension Requests”