Image Watermark

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
Louis7777

Image Watermark

Post by Louis7777 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:38 pm

An extension that allows you to serve your images with a custom watermark.

The user should be able to choose the minimum dimensions of the images which will be watermarked, and the specific forums which should be handled (e.g. one may only want to watermark images in an "articles" subforum).

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Image Watermark

Post by KevC » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:04 pm

That should be largely up to the person posting the image. If they're happy to upload it without a watermark then it's fine.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:17 pm

You may have a subforum with articles where only respected authors can post and you don't want any other websites to steal your images.

This extension should save you the time to manually watermark your images.
KevC wrote:That should be largely up to the person posting the image. If they're happy to upload it without a watermark then it's fine.
I don't get your comment. It would make sense if I was requesting this to become a core feature, but this is an extension request which means that it reflects the desire of the forum owner rather than the poster.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:49 pm

I agree with Kevin - if I have an image that I want to protect then I will watermark it before posting it anywhere. It is the copyright holder's responsibility to protect their property not the forum owner, or anybody else.

In fact to watermark an image that is posted onto a forum and then watermarked by the forum owner could be considered a breach of copyright.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:33 pm

david63 wrote:I agree with Kevin - if I have an image that I want to protect then I will watermark it before posting it anywhere. It is the copyright holder's responsibility to protect their property not the forum owner, or anybody else.
Alright. I'll use another approach.

This is an extension request, not a core feature request. So I'm only asking if any developer would be interested in creating it for w/e reason. Most likely because it would be useful for him as well.

I want, as a forum owner, to have an "Image Watermark" extension.

Why? Because I'd like it. Because I'm crazy. Because, because, because. And perhaps I don't care about what the poster wants to do. I don't care about his feelings. Perhaps I am a sadist forum owner and I want him to have a bad time on my website.

I am the forum owner. I want an extension that shows gorillas crossing the index page and jungle music that autoplays. Is anyone interested in creating such an extension?

Jokes aside, I've already explained how it could be put into a good use. Imagine a subforum with articles where only the staff posts. Those are official image releases. I want, as a forum owner, to apply watermarking for large images on that specific forum.

What is so difficult to understand?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:51 am

We haven't said anything about it being a core request.

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion and it's our job to suggest alternatives. Not everything needs a 'MOD'. If there's an option to do it without we can suggest that. No one is having a go at you for asking for it :roll: I was merely pointing out that that responsibility should not really be yours, it should be the owner of the image and as David says, by adding your watermark to it you could have issues with 'claiming' copyright of an image which isn't yours.

It's no different to someone asking for X and people suggesting Y. It's not exactly what they asked for but it's an alternative suggestion.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:10 am

Watermarks can be removed anyway.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:49 pm

KevC wrote: Everyone is allowed to have an opinion and it's our job to suggest alternatives.
Fair enough. In the case of this request, I'm pretty sure watermarking would be the best way to go for what I'd like to achieve in the example that I used.
Mick wrote:Watermarks can be removed anyway.
Depends on its image coverage. One would really have to be a photoshop pro to tamper with the image without spoiling it. Without leaving traces of cloned pixels.

leschek

Post by leschek » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:59 pm

KevC wrote: I was merely pointing out that that responsibility should not really be yours, it should be the owner of the image and as David says, by adding your watermark to it you could have issues with 'claiming' copyright of an image which isn't yours.
I guess it depends about used watermark. It could be just huge semitransparent copyright symbol © which add another layer of protection, so it would be harder to steal someone picture.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:21 pm

yes, but if you put the copyright symbol on images uploaded to your board by others, you are then breaking the law by claiming copyright to the images. the point earlier was that in most jurisdictions, I believe the image owner is the only one with the legal right to watermark their images.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:06 am

I'd like this too. With an image upload form, watermark position, transparency choice etc.

It's not always about 'Claiming copyright', it could be simply tagging an image with where it's hosted (Been uploaded to), in that respect when somebody uploads an image to your forum, they are 'Potentially' allowing you to 'Tag/watermark it'.

This could easily be covered by tweaking the 'Terms'.
Any uploaded images will contain our watermark/logo, you/whoever will still own the copyright to the original image blah blah
Done, dusted, covered legally.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

Holger

Post by Holger » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:36 am

I support this request!
I have been using automatic watermarking of uploaded images since 10 years, it is definitely a must for my board.

ViolaF

Post by ViolaF » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:32 pm

Holger

Post by Holger » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:34 pm

Lol! Cool! Post is from today :-D

ViolaF

Post by ViolaF » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:40 pm

jep, just find it

Return to “Extension Requests”