Chat (like in Facebook)

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Suggested Hosts
potku

Chat (like in Facebook)

Post by potku » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:08 pm

I am not sure, if this was meant to ask for a group chat like IRC, but we would be interested in having a one-to-one chat akin to Facebook. It unfortunately seems Kamahl just cannot find the time to develop his Social Network anymore, so would it be possible for someone to work on an Extension like that? :)

Our users like that addition very much, so we do not want to disappoint them by transferring to 3.1. before they can continue chatting as usual.
Potku.net

"Before I speak, I have something important to say."

- Groucho Marx

Royalsapphire

Re: Chat (like in Facebook)

Post by Royalsapphire » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:46 pm

potku wrote:I am not sure, if this was meant to ask for a group chat like IRC, but we would be interested in having a one-to-one chat akin to Facebook. It unfortunately seems Kamahl just cannot find the time to develop his Social Network anymore, so would it be possible for someone to work on an Extension like that? :)

Our users like that addition very much, so we do not want to disappoint them by transferring to 3.1. before they can continue chatting as usual.
+1
It would be of great interest!

R.

Sergiy

Post by Sergiy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:54 am

+1

But chat should be standalone extension because some of us aren't interested in whole social network thing.

Royalsapphire

Post by Royalsapphire » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:14 pm

Sergiy wrote:chat should be standalone extension because some of us aren't interested in whole social network thing.
It makes sense.

I would also keep an eye at the compatibility with mobile devices. In my opinion it wasn't outstanding in the phpBBSocialNetwork mod.

potku

Post by potku » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:36 am

Royalsapphire wrote:
Sergiy wrote:chat should be standalone extension because some of us aren't interested in whole social network thing.
It makes sense.

I would also keep an eye at the compatibility with mobile devices. In my opinion it wasn't outstanding in the phpBBSocialNetwork mod.
Hear, hear. We didn't care about the other features either, so they are all disabled. We only use the chat.

That is true about mobile devices, by the way. I had forgotten that. In 2014, mobile devices must definitely be included in pretty much any Extensions (as far as it applies).
Potku.net

- Groucho Marx

Kamahl19
Name: Martin

Post by Kamahl19 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:27 am

It is not possible to create One-to-one chat with AJAX. Well it is, I did it in phpbb SN but it only worked on small boards with not so many online users. If you have many online users on your forum, server would go crazy.

If you want the "facebook chat" you should do it how facebook and google (gTalk) did it. Use XMPP.

1. you need to install an XMPP server on your server (I have good experience with OpenFire)
2. you need extension which uses some javascript XMPP client (I have good experience with ConverseJS)
3. extension also has to use bosh server for prebinding, so that user does not have to log in to chat manually and connection is not lost after page reload.

I am developing pretty big "facebook like" social network for a client (budget is about 100 000 €) and I also do it this was. I use OpenFire, ConverseJS and XMPPHP for bosh server. This solution handles many simultaneously online users and has all the features like 'Typing...', accepting contacts, statuses (online, offline, busy, away), text statuses, logout etc...

When you use XMPP you can also log in to this chat using any XMPP client such as Pidgin, Digsby etc.. There are also many xmpp clients on for smartphones so no problem with that..

potku

Post by potku » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:48 pm

I appreciate all the information (half of which I didn't understand :mrgreen: ), but at the same time I feel like this EXT is worlds away now. :D

It is great to hear you are putting your vast knowledge to use in the business world. :)

I sincerely hope someone can take this EXT on.
Potku.net

- Groucho Marx

Return to “Extension Requests”