Cloudflare IP support

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Anti-Spam Guide
Swanny

Re: Cloudflare IP support

Post by Swanny » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:50 pm

Can you guys explain why you think an extension is necessary to run CloudFlare? I see no need and I run CloudFlare on 5 phpBB forums. I'd seriously like to know what you would do to make the extension. I can see a knowledge base type article would be useful but you really need to do things outside phpBB ACP to enable CloudFlare. You'll never be able to click an ACP button to turn on CloudFlare, it requires an account on their site, making sure you have mod_cloudflare installed on the server, etc.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:unless your board is very very large and very very busy, I doubt you will see any benefit from the extra caching that cloudfare does.
Well technically using a CDN no matter the size of the site will make the site load faster and decrease the load on the server. So sure there is a bigger benefit from very large & busy forums, you can't say that a faster loading, more secure site is a waste of time for smaller sites. And for the record, my largest forum (site) gets over 1,000,000 unique visitors per month, and my smallest site on CF gets 22,000 uniques per month. They both benefit.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:some of the other functions of it are not really of much good either.
What is your source to back up your claim of "some of their other functions are not really of much good"? Do you not like free DDoS protection? Do you not like Web Application Firewall configuration? Using even the free level of CF makes your website faster and more secure. See https://www.cloudflare.com/overview/ and read.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:if it worked properly it would be different, but it doesn't work properly in many cases.
Stop being negative. It works properly on my 5 sites. Needed hardly any work to make it work right. Others here have demonstrated it works earlier in this thread also. I'm beginning to think you work for a competitor to CF, you're constantly saying how bad it is or hard to configure. Stop spreading FUD.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: it is a fairly new server software package that In my opinion, basically plays to the insecurity of new users. not something that even has all the bugs worked out of it yet. cpanel has a history of adding new things to its package that do not work properly and/or are sometimes not safe, etc. robert
CloudFlare is new relative to phpBB but that has nothing to do with it. CF has been around for 6 years now though so I wouldn't agree that it's "fairly new". What bugs are not worked out yet, specifically? Comparing it to cPanel is irrelevant, it's not an apples to apples comparison.

No offence but I feel you are really ill-informed about CF.

Swanny

Post by Swanny » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:56 pm

oh and p.s. if you don't think CloudFlare works, check out my GTMetrix.com score. This is the site that gets >1M visitors per month. I blocked the URL & screenshot for privacy purposes.

So as you can tell I'm 100% behind CloudFlare, they are definitely responsible for a good chunk of these good scores!

Full disclosure, this report is from the HTML home page (not part of the /forum/ section), but that page does include a list of recent topics so it does hit on the phpBB db.

Last edited by Swanny on Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swanny

Post by Swanny » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:58 pm

Volksdevil wrote:OK, I've done some testing using cloudflare VS not using it. My average complete load time for my homepage without cloudflare is 3.2 seconds.

With cloudflare...Well, here is the incredible result I've got just this minute...

And as that report won't be there forever, a piccy. Pretty friggin impressive I think.
Your report link still works for me. That is really awesome but I beat you out just slightly :mrgreen: :geek:

RyanK_CF
Name: Ryan

Post by RyanK_CF » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:13 am

Thanks for all the kind words Swanny. I'm also interested in learning why people think an extension is necessary, or what it would be for. I'd like to relay that to the engineers.

RyanK

CloudFlare

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations
Name: Jakub

Post by Senky » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:00 am

RyanK_CF wrote:...I'm also interested in learning why people think an extension is necessary, or what it would be for...
Some boards use shared hosting without ability to add new Apache mods. Without mod_cloudflare, every request seems to come from the same IP address (cloudflare's). With extension installed, IP addresses of the visitors are corrected and all other mechanisms that rely on IP address are functional again.

RyanK_CF
Name: Ryan

Post by RyanK_CF » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:15 pm

Hi again,

I did some checking and unfortunately unless the host wants to play along by installing mod_cloudflare or make some changes to the logs, there isn't much that we (or anyone else) can do.

-Ryan
CloudFlare

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:38 am

RyanK_CF wrote:Hi again,

I did some checking and unfortunately unless the host wants to play along by installing mod_cloudflare or make some changes to the logs, there isn't much that we (or anyone else) can do.

-Ryan
CloudFlare
We already know that. Thanks.
You self answered your question then.
RyanK_CF wrote:I'm also interested in learning why people think an extension is necessary, or what it would be for.
.. that's why?

Regards. :)
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

peopleinside

Post by peopleinside » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:14 am

fulgan wrote:Ok. I got 5 minutes to look into this again and here is a quick and dirty fix:

In phpbb\session.php around line 280, you'll see this line:

Code: Select all

$this->ip = htmlspecialchars_decode($request->server('REMOTE_ADDR'));
replace it with

if ($request->server('HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP') != '') 
		{
			$this->ip = htmlspecialchars_decode($request->server('HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP'));
		}
		else
		{
		};
BTW, in PHP 5.5+, you can't use

!empty($request->server('HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP'))
With the new update you cannot anymore find:

but you find:

$ip = htmlspecialchars_decode($request->server('REMOTE_ADDR'));
and under this line there are:

$ip = preg_replace('# {2,}#', ' ', str_replace(',', ' ', $ip));
So maybe is still valid this fix?

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:40 am

The event requested has been merged and released within phpBB 3.1.10.
Senky wrote:Alright guys, this seems like pretty easy extension. However, we don't have event positioned, yet. If you really want this extension, I can post an event request, but bear in mind, that it will be included in a next release at best (which might take weeks to ship), and only after that I can submit the extension to CDB, which takes another month to validate.
Maybe Senky already submitted the extension to the CDB.
If not, please let me know. I will take care of it. Regards. :)

Tarantino

Post by Tarantino » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:06 am

I've already this extension from this forum: http://www.sitesplat.com/phpBB3/viewtop ... =17&t=2789
So, if anyone wants the same, they know where to grab. ;)
Glad to help.

Best Regards

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:48 am

spello wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:54 pm
I'm waiting for Cloudflare extension too! :)
k0nsl wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:26 am
I'm for it, it becomes tiring to edit a bunch of core files on every new release. Why don't you put it up on GitHub directly and then do the CDB routine?
Best wishes,
-k0nsl
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2402891

Neuropass

Post by Neuropass » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:15 am

Tarantino wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:06 am
I've already this extension from this forum: http://www.sitesplat.com/phpBB3/viewtop ... =17&t=2789
So, if anyone wants the same, they know where to grab. ;)
Glad to help.

Best Regards
Thank-you, got the copy here: http://www.sitesplat.com/phpBB3/viewtop ... =17&t=3200 SiteSplat's awesomeness :ugeek:

LanikSJ

Post by LanikSJ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:36 pm

I don't know about everyone else but my hosting company is charging me $20 for SSL certs even if I bring my own. :roll:

It was much easier to sign up for a free account on CloudFlare and not pay them a dime. Yes I'm cheap. ;)

I installed the CloudFlare Extension and it works great I can see my IP again when I login. :mrgreen:
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

peopleinside

Post by peopleinside » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:40 pm

LanikSJ wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:36 pm
I don't know about everyone else but my hosting company is charging me $20 for SSL certs even if I bring my own. :roll:

It was much easier to sign up for a free account on CloudFlare and not pay them a dime. Yes I'm cheap. ;)

I installed the CloudFlare Extension and it works great I can see my IP again when I login. :mrgreen:
Please remember that Cloudflare SSL can be set as not full SSL protection this means your connection (in that case) will be secure between your website and Cloudflare but will be NOT SECURE from Cloudflare to your server if you do have not set a self signed certificate.

A full SSL will be always more secure that use partial Cloudflare SSL.

This is a tip for your security.
More info about this https://www.cloudflare.com/ssl/.

LanikSJ

Post by LanikSJ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Yes I realize that it's not 100% secure but it's better than nothing.

I'm fairly certain there's less chance of someone messing with the connection from CloudFlare to my host vs anywhere on the Internet to my host.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Return to “Extension Requests”