Cloudflare IP support

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Anti-Spam Guide
BigDrago

Re: Cloudflare IP support

Post by BigDrago »

Neuropass wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:15 am
Tarantino wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:06 am
I've already this extension from this forum: http://www.sitesplat.com/phpBB3/viewtop ... =17&t=2789
So, if anyone wants the same, they know where to grab. ;)
Glad to help.

Best Regards
Thank-you, got the copy here: http://www.sitesplat.com/phpBB3/viewtop ... =17&t=3200 SiteSplat's awesomeness :ugeek:
Working excellent on 3.2 !
Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations
Name: Jakub

Post by Senky »

‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎📝‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎‏‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎🔔 ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎🛠
Forms Extension | Browser & Mobile Notifications Extension | Mixed Content Fixer Extension
aeneas1

Post by aeneas1 »

tried using cloudflare a few years back, it was a disaster, tried again yesterday and still ran into a bunch of probs... turns out i didn't install any certificates on my server after setting up my forum on cloudflare, but stumbled across this tutorial and all seems well now..

----------------------------------

Assuming you have already using CloudFlare or signed up

Here are the steps:

Go to Cloudflare dashboard > Click Crypto > Click Create "Origin Certificates > Stick to the default settings (Private Key Type: RSA, list of hostnames: *.yourdomain.com & yourdomain.com and chose the expiry of certificate: Leave at 15 years)

Next Step: Chose Key format: PEM Default ("Copy Origin Certificate" and "Copy Private Key" and Web Server for Installation to "Apache httpd"

Now go to Siteground cPanel > SSL/TLS Manager > Manage SSL Hosts > Scroll right to the bottom > Now select the domain for SSL > Paste the "Origin Certificate text from CloudFlare into "Certificate CRT" and Private Key text in the "Key" > Leave the Certificate Authority Bundle as "BLANK" > Uncheck the box "Enable SNI for Mail Services > Click Install > Congratulations you have now successfully installed the CloudFlare certificate for 15 years. I hope all of it makes absolute sense; its an extremely simple process. Enjoy your Free SSL form CloudFlare.

----------------------------------
aeneas1

Post by aeneas1 »

moved.
elawrenc

Post by elawrenc »

Hi,

Just curious if this is all still valid in 2020 for Phpbb 3.3?

Thanks in advance,

el
SiteSplat

Post by SiteSplat »

elawrenc wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:41 pm
Hi,

Just curious if this is all still valid in 2020 for Phpbb 3.3?

Thanks in advance,

el
yes it is indeed if you are using CloudFlare on your forum. Find the correct version here:
Link just updated.
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... dflare_ip/
DBG1

Post by DBG1 »

Thank goodness I just found this post. Big lifesaver! Thank you!

For the last 24 hours we started to think our site had been under attack from some trolls using VPN servers. We thought this because we started noticing a number of strangely written site emails coming in as if we were being trolled. Then we started looking at IP addresses for these strange site mails and noticed they were all coming from 162.158.*.* / 172.68.*.* / 172.69.*.*

So we spent hours going through hundreds of site mails and writing down all the ones that had an IP addresses in these IP ranges, then blocked them. We also started deleting newly registered members with those IP ranges. After we did that we started getting lots of complaints from regular members being blocked.

Then I checked my own IP that was showing when I was logged in on the site and saw I also had an IP in that range when in fact my IP was totally different. So after spending nearly a full day trying to trace and block IPs that might be trolls, it occurred to me that the site emails within this IP range started appearing right around the time we switched over to using Cloudflare. Bingo!

I then started doing some searches for answers if Cloudflare changes user IP addresses. That lead me to a whole bunch of posts in Cloudflare's own forums with fixes offered at the host server level and then there was finally a link on how to fix the problem on a phpBB site when you don't have server access. This was the Clourflare page: https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us ... loudflare- and there they provided a link to this outdated post on this site from 2015: viewtopic.php?p=13936406#p13936406 - Clourflare should update their link to either this topic and/or give the link to the extension.

Fast forward, we have now installed the 3.3.0 version from the link below:

https://sitesplat.com/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 387#p19387

Now it seems that the IP addresses within "Who Is Online" on the site have normalized again and we have removed the blocking on all those IP addresses. But we feel bad about all the accounts we deleted and all the people we sent dismissive email replies to within the last 24 hours. A shame that it never occurred to us at the beginning of this debacle that this would end up being a Cloudflare related issue.

Anyway, I have two questions please:

1 - Site mails coming in now after installing the extension show an IP which is in IPv6 format. And some guests in :Who Is Online" also show an IPv6, but most show as IPv4. Is there a way to get everything to show again as IPv4 for both online users and for incoming site emails?

2 - We did a test sending out an email from our SMTP server just now and we see that the headers show the IP of our hosting company instead of our actual IP or any Cloudflare IP. So we assume this Cloudflare IP issue only effects incoming IP addresses and not outgoing IP addresses?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Can you please ask your two questions in support. This topic is an extension request from 2014 to do with Cloudflare and with additional questions it’s just going to get longer and longer, thanks.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
DBG1

Post by DBG1 »

Return to “Extension Requests”