Add a Like Button to Each Post

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
poplarman

Add a Like Button to Each Post

Post by poplarman »

I've searched phpbb and found many, many references to a facebook-type 'like' button, but have been unable to find an official and recommended entity.

The provision of an extension for this functionality would, I'm sure, be widely welcomed.

Personally I don't want it integrated with FB, although I can foresee that others might.

To be unobtrusive perhaps it could be displayed alongside the row of icons already displayed (like the image below)
which also shows a suggested count - red for negative and green for positive, say.

On clicking the tick the user could select from a drop-down box of either 'Like' or 'Unlike'. Hovering over the icon would display a list of usernames already ticked.

I'd be interested to receive your comments.
poplarman

Re: Add a Like Button to Each Post

Post by poplarman »

I'm sort of surprised that there haven't been any responses.

Could someone please give me some feedback:

1) Is no-one interested?
or
2) Is it a rank bad idea?
or
3) Can no-one produce the extension?
or
4) Does it exist already?

Thank you
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I wouldn't be surprised if one is in progress somewhere.
The problem with such an option is that, by its nature, you have a discussion board where you want people to write stuff, not just tick 'like' and move on without saying anything else.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
poplarman

Post by poplarman »

KevC wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if one is in progress somewhere.
The problem with such an option is that, by its nature, you have a discussion board where you want people to write stuff, not just tick 'like' and move on without saying anything else.
Thank you KevC, and good point. I'm losing loads of users to an alternative Facebook Group and one of the main attractions, they say, is the ability to 'Like' comments.
LavIgor

Post by LavIgor »

KevC wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if one is in progress somewhere.
I can disagree with it. If a board is not a social web, it doesn't mean that users cannot mark the content they like. Yes, discussions can show users' attitude to any content, but what will you do if 500+ users, for example, like a certain message?
It will be faster to see the attitude by looking at +500 number, not by reading 50+ pages or something with different words.

So we can say that likes can be a part of any discussions. Why do you neglect them?
poplarman wrote:4) Does it exist already?
Yes, but only somehow.
We already have 'Thanks for posts' and 'Post love'.
But as for me I want to port a phpBB 3.0 MOD to a phpBB 3.1 extension.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

LavIgor wrote:So we can say that likes can be a part of any discussions. Why do you neglect them?
Just personal opinion. I see a lot of people on here who want facebook login, facebook likes, facebook chat and I just think....so why not set your board up on facebook instead. I'd rather have 50 pages of comments than 50 likes where no one says anything.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
BillyBobBongo

Post by BillyBobBongo »

KevC wrote:
LavIgor wrote:So we can say that likes can be a part of any discussions. Why do you neglect them?
Just personal opinion. I see a lot of people on here who want facebook login, facebook likes, facebook chat and I just think....so why not set your board up on facebook instead. I'd rather have 50 pages of comments than 50 likes where no one says anything.
[Like] :lol:
LavIgor

Post by LavIgor »

KevC wrote:
I don't mean anything related to Facebook.
I don't know why people want to connect their boards to that site.

I meant the inner likes system, only inside the board with no connection to social webs.
Sometimes you don't need words to show your emotions. But if you have some new ideas, you will be able to post a reply. ;)
poplarman

Post by poplarman »

Guys, this isn't a poll for who likes something or not. It's a plea for someone to create (or modify) a 3.1 Extension.

It's then up to individual board managers to decide whether they want to implement it or not. That's the beauty of Extensions.

Is anyone going to take it on? That's still the question.
LavIgor

Post by LavIgor »

I have already given an answer to your question.
LavIgor wrote:We already have 'Thanks for posts' and 'Post love'.
poplarman

Post by poplarman »

LavIgor wrote:I have already given an answer to your question.
LavIgor wrote:We already have 'Thanks for posts' and 'Post love'.
I'd like a clean new Extension. The requirement is clear and simple.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I am sure someone will do it eventually, you just have to wait until they do.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
WilliamGiles

Post by WilliamGiles »

What do you mean by the triangle mark, x mark and i mark? I couldn't get it exactly. Would you please explain it for me?
poplarman

Post by poplarman »

Thank you.
poppy4

Post by poppy4 »

I have recently become a moderator on a forum that is built on SMS which does have a like button. I have to say that it does have it's uses so while I can see the point of not having one (as outlined earlier in this thread), a 'like' mod would be worth having for some Boards. Facebook is not my favourite place on the Internet but does have its uses and like it or not, like buttons are here to stay (or so it seems).
It would be good if someone could develop a mod which acts just like the one on SMS .

Return to “Extension Requests”