Add a Like Button to Each Post

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Ideas Centre
poplarman

Re: Add a Like Button to Each Post

Post by poplarman »

I can think of a board that would benefit greatly from a 'Like' button; This one.

Users can indicate simply whether they like a request or not - then Mods can take notice of those which score highly.
Last edited by poplarman on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
daveb86
Name: Dave B

Post by daveb86 »

poplarman wrote:I can think of a board that would benefit greatly from a 'Like' button; This one.

Users can indicate simply whether they live a request or not - then Mods can take notice of those which score highly.
{LIKE}

Agreed ...

A standard like function that isnt related to social networking would be perfect

Maybe it could be extended similar to how IPB have it ?

A Simple Like button you can click then your name appears to the left of the button .. If numerous people like it then it will display as for example "You and 8 others like this".

Once the like is clicked it then turns into an "Unlike" button.
poplarman

Post by poplarman »

daveb86 wrote: {LIKE}
A standard like function that isnt related to social networking would be perfect
If I could 'Like' your post, I would :)
daveb86

Post by daveb86 »

poplarman wrote:
daveb86 wrote: {LIKE}
If I could 'Like' your post, I would :)
If i could like my post i would lol
aka_void
Name: Mark

Post by aka_void »

There is a Thanks and a Post Love extension being worked on.

I'd think they're pretty much the same as a 'like' extension :/
poplarman

Post by poplarman »

aka_void wrote:There is a Thanks and a Post Love extension being worked on.
Thanks - I've tried both of these and they don't really meet the requirement of a simple 'Like' facility. I'm sure Thanks for Post could be tailored though (and even Post Love I suppose).
daveb86

Post by daveb86 »

poplarman wrote:
aka_void wrote:There is a Thanks and a Post Love extension being worked on.
Thanks - I've tried both of these and they don't really meet the requirement of a simple 'Like' facility. I'm sure Thanks for Post could be tailored though (and even Post Love I suppose).
Agreed with poplarman
NanaM

Post by NanaM »

poplarman wrote:Thanks - I've tried both of these and they don't really meet the requirement of a simple 'Like' facility. I'm sure Thanks for Post could be tailored though (and even Post Love I suppose).
How, precisely, does "Thanks for posts" not meet the requirements in this thread ?
  • it is as simple as clicking a button (shaped as a thumb), and clicking again cancels the Thanks (as the Like / Unlike mechanism daveb86 wished).
  • by default the icon is located on the same row as the other icons (in the MOD for v3.0.12)
  • if you do not like the extra features that "Thanks for posts" bring compared to a simple Like button (e.g. forum or topic ratings, scores in % based on number of thanks etc...), they can be tuned or deactivated in ACP.
"Thanks for posts" does much more than a simple Like button, but it can do exactly the same, no more no less, with proper settings. The main difference is the rewards are called "Thanks" and not "Likes". Not sure it is worth creating another extension just for that.
daveb86

Post by daveb86 »

NanaM wrote:
poplarman wrote:Thanks - I've tried both of these and they don't really meet the requirement of a simple 'Like' facility. I'm sure Thanks for Post could be tailored though (and even Post Love I suppose).
How, precisely, does "Thanks for posts" not meet the requirements in this thread ?
  • it is as simple as clicking a button (shaped as a thumb), and clicking again cancels the Thanks (as the Like / Unlike mechanism daveb86 wished).
  • by default the icon is located on the same row as the other icons (in the MOD for v3.0.12)
  • if you do not like the extra features that "Thanks for posts" bring compared to a simple Like button (e.g. forum or topic ratings, scores in % based on number of thanks etc...), they can be tuned or deactivated in ACP.
"Thanks for posts" does much more than a simple Like button, but it can do exactly the same, no more no less, with proper settings. The main difference is the rewards are called "Thanks" and not "Likes". Not sure it is worth creating another extension just for that.
Or make the words definable in the settings ?
poplarman

Post by poplarman »

I take the point but there is a huge difference between thanking someone for their efforts and 'liking' a comment they've made. As previously, if one of the other existing Mods can be tailored into a 'like' extension (or a new one) then that's the solution.
NanaM

Post by NanaM »

poplarman wrote:I take the point but there is a huge difference between thanking someone for their efforts and 'liking' a comment they've made. As previously, if one of the other existing Mods can be tailored into a 'like' extension (or a new one) then that's the solution.
Then it seems your request is only about semantics, not about creating a whole new extension. You could modify the language file of the "Thanks for posts" extension and you're all set. Or you could suggest the author of "Thanks for posts" to include an option in ACP to rename "Thanks", as daveb86 pointed out.

Maybe you have not used Thanks for posts long enough on your board. Otherwise, you would have noticed that users who are familiar with "Likes" (in the Facebook sense) use "Thanks" in the same way, to reward posts that are informative, funny, creative... Wouldn't you thank somebody who posts something you like ? ;)
poplarman

Post by poplarman »

NanaM - I'm at a loss to understand your contribution to this topic. This (by its title) is a place where requests can be made for 'experts' to produce Extensions. I've made such a request; for a free-standing facility to provide a 'Like' button, similar in use to that employed by Facebook but not in any way interfacing with FB.

If the Extension is of no use to you, and you prefer already available alternatives, then please go ahead. Why would you want to interfere negatively with what others clearly want?
NanaM

Post by NanaM »

poplarman wrote:NanaM - I'm at a loss to understand your contribution to this topic.
First I wanted to make sure I understand what you requested, and it seems it boils down just to semantics, not to a novel features that would justify a brand new extension.

You are requesting time from the phpbb experts to develop an extension that already exists. The time they would spend replying in this thread or developing this extension would be better spent, IMHO, developing an extension that does not exist yet or does not have a close equivalent.

To my understanding, users are free to request an extension, and others users are also free to point out whether this extension would be useful or not. Especially when 3 users in this thread have pointed out there exists two equivalent MODs, already being ported to extensions. If you can find a phpbb expert who is willing to create a new extension just because Thanks are called Thanks and not Likes, good for you. I would still think it's a loss of time and resources better spent on something else.
If the Extension is of no use to you, and you prefer already available alternatives, then please go ahead. Why would you want to interfere negatively with what others clearly want?
Maybe you did not notice my two suggestions to help you get what you requested, in my previous message. If you call that "negative interference"... can't be helped.
aka_void
Name: Mark

Post by aka_void »

Change the word Thanks to Like ;)
poplarman

Post by poplarman »

Looks like you didn't read my earlier post (or maybe you did and chose to ignore it.)

Return to “Extension Requests”