Language management

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
marcovo
Name: Marco

Language management

Post by marcovo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:15 am

Hi,

This extension idea is based on this post.

I was wondering if it could be possible to streamline the uploading of languages in the following way. The extension knows From this, a list is generated with your current languages, and whether an update is available. If an update is available, the extension provides the possibility to update the language files, automatically downloading the correct language pack from the phpBB language page.
The same might be achieved with gitHub releases.

I'm aware of the fact this description is somewhat similar to the Upload extensions extension for extensions. However, the functionality isn't exactly the same...

The greatest problem would be: is it safely possible to generate a list of languages, based on the listing in https://www.phpbb.com/languages/ ? (Or this page?) I guess it's not very error-proof to generate a list from a html page that's bound to change over time... Or is there some non-html page were all languages are listed?

colnector

Re: Language management

Post by colnector » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:48 am

We'd wholeheartedly support such an extension. Current language management on phpBB is horrible when a forum aspires to be offered in more than a single language and even single language forums still have to manually check for translation updates. Anything to make the process easier would be blessed.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Re: Language management

Post by DavidIQ » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:34 pm

marcovo wrote:Or is there some non-html page were all languages are listed?
There is not and is not likely to be available before 3.2 rolls around. This is on the wish-list for the "Rhea" (3.2 code name) version of Titania, which is where you'd get this information from. These capabilities would end up being built into 3.2 however. Until then you'd have to go with reading and parsing the HTML pages.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Return to “Extension Requests”