Any URL beautifier for phpbb 3.1?

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
vladimir1983

Re: Any URL beautifier for phpbb 3.1?

Post by vladimir1983 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:41 pm

Brf wrote:It also is not an extension.
No. This extension.
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors. :oops:

kamaleon

Post by kamaleon » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:27 pm

It seems they are now making it an extension

http://www.phpbb-seo.com/en/phpbb-forum ... 10175.html
This is a test signature. I hope you love it :D

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:16 pm

PhpBB 3.1 has only been released for 2 weeks. Where have you seen any indication that our team "hates" an extension for it?

kamaleon

Post by kamaleon » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:24 pm

Just in previous versions, maybe it was not an extension before...

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:10 pm

there have never been "extensions" before now. in the previous versions there were MODs, not extensions.

phpbbSEO has never been either one. it is called a preMOD . that means that someone else took the phpbb code and rewrote it to include whatever they wanted in it. therefore, it is no longer the same software program you get from here. you have to get it and the support for it from the site that created it.

the reason you get negative feedback when requestion url rewrite for the purpose of "pretty urls" or " SEO friendly" urls is because they are basically useless for what people think they are good for. They also complicate the code and therefore complicate any updates etc. in the future.

There is a lot of misinformation out there on the web about the SEO benefits of doing it and most of that info is several years old.
If you want to know what google thinks about it, check with google. do not just assume that something you read about it is true ( even what I say about it ). Most of the proponents of it are either just basing their ideas on old information or they are trying to sell you something.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

kamaleon

Post by kamaleon » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:25 pm

These guys know a bit about SEO and look at what they recommend for a URL and the 3 benefits of a good URL

http://moz.com/learn/seo/url

:)

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:30 pm

most of that advice is quite old and may or may not apply these days. I never said that SEO urls made no difference, I always say that they don't make enough difference to be worth the trouble they cause.

also, as I said above, if you want to know what search engines like, ask them, don't ask a company that is trying to sell you a service to make your site get higher rankings etc..

there is a lot to SEO, it is important in many cases ( if you are trying to sell something on your site ), however, worrying about having "friendly" urls is just no longer one of those important things.

years ago, the search engines did not know what to do with the urls like the ones phpbb ( and most every other dynamic website ) uses. now they have no problem with them at all.

of course,you can do whatever you want with your site if you think it will help.
I personally don't worry about SEO on a bulletin board unless the purpose of that board is to make me some money in some way. and then I worry about things that will actually make a difference in SEO like keywords in;
sitename
forum titles
topic titles
h1 text
content
content
content

google will look at the content of the page a lot more than it will at the domain name or the file name etc.\

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “Extension Requests”