Multi-Quote

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Anti-Spam Guide
potku

Multi-Quote

Post by potku » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:55 am

Multi-Quote is a very useful MOD. For those who are not familiar with it, the MOD allows you to tick the posts you want to quote. Then, when you click REPLY, all those posts you ticked will show up quoted on your post body. It saves a ton of energy and time. Just imagine what it's like trying to quote more than one post at once...

So, is anyone up for coding this EXT? :)
Potku.net

"Before I speak, I have something important to say."

- Groucho Marx

Meis2M
Translator
Name: میثم نوبری

Re: Multi-Quote

Post by Meis2M » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:34 am

+10 for this ext

Walther

Post by Walther » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:55 am

So, if i understand it correctly, the WHOLE posts which are 'ticked' are being 'quoted' ?

Not exactly the definition of a quote, and I doubt users are going to cut in the quoted post to make it that only the part of interest will be quoted.

You know you already have a option for this ?
- press reply
- select in Topic Review (bottom of screen, press expand view if needed) the part you want to quote
- there is a little quote symbol in the upper right of it, press that
- and voila, it is quoted, repeat this for quotes from other postings or parts of the same posting

example:
potku wrote:Multi-Quote is a very useful MOD
potku wrote:all those posts you ticked will show up
potku wrote:Just imagine
Meis2M wrote:+10

potku

Post by potku » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:10 pm

The method you described does work, but it requires a lot more work and is far from very useful, in my opinion.

The last time I used Multi-Quote MOD was earlier this morning. It is so, so simple and quick.

On our board, where people discuss several matters fairly in-depth, this MOD has proven time and time again to be very useful.

There are about 20 or 30 MODs (I wrote them all down this morning) we need to have as Extensions before we can migrate to 3.1. This is one of them. Our users quote more than one post more often than rarely. Thus, it is imperative multi-quoting is easy and fast. In 3.0.12 it is, thanks to this MOD by Primehalo.

We are crossing our fingers someone with the know-how to code EXTs agrees with us. :)
Potku.net

- Groucho Marx

Walther

Post by Walther » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:50 pm

off-topic:
potku wrote:...
There are about 20 or 30 MODs (I wrote them all down this morning)...
TIP: we have a seperate topic where we noted down every mod we ever installed or deleted, the date, how much time it actually costs to install and the link where we downloaded it.
Any special comments where also noted.

Made migration a 'breeze'; we just printed the topic and started searching each mod whether it was still needed or default by now (like the Soft Delete mod) and if there was an extension for it.

Now you are about to start with a clean sheet, you might want to adopt this idea.
It comes in handy when there are errors too.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:14 pm

potku wrote:The method you described does work, but it requires a lot more work and is far from very useful, in my opinion.
How is check marking each post any easier than clicking the quote button in each post?
The current method is more useful because you can line up the cursor in your reply to arrange each quote in your reply.

potku

Post by potku » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:18 am

I beg to differ -- but then, we all are used to what we are used to. We all have our preferences.

Ticking each wanted post requires minimal work. Then you just normally click REPLY, and the quotes are automatically inserted. I'd say that's less work than the other method. Someone may disagree, and that's perfectly OK. I am not here to debate that, though. I just want the EXT.

In any case, that's not really the topic here. We want and need this EXT, and that's that.
Potku.net

- Groucho Marx

potku

Post by potku » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:22 am

Walther wrote: Made migration a 'breeze'; we just printed the topic and started searching each mod whether it was still needed or default by now (like the Soft Delete mod) and if there was an extension for it.

Now you are about to start with a clean sheet, you might want to adopt this idea.
It comes in handy when there are errors too.
Yup, that's what we did yesterday. I have all the pertinent links saved to EXTs requests, EXTs in development, and to the old MODs, if they haven't been requested or aren't in development. I just don't want to request another 10 more EXTs. That would be social suicide. :P
Potku.net

- Groucho Marx

Komanche

Post by Komanche » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:25 am

+1

Korkel
Name: Liz Aalderink

Post by Korkel » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:47 am

Komanche wrote:+1
^^ that.
"If you lose your left arm, your right arm will be left."
“The most important property of a program is whether it accomplishes the intention of its user.”

Komanche

Post by Komanche » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Walther wrote:So, if i understand it correctly, the WHOLE posts which are 'ticked' are being 'quoted' ?

Not exactly the definition of a quote, and I doubt users are going to cut in the quoted post to make it that only the part of interest will be quoted.

You know you already have a option for this ?
- press reply
- select in Topic Review (bottom of screen, press expand view if needed) the part you want to quote
- there is a little quote symbol in the upper right of it, press that
- and voila, it is quoted, repeat this for quotes from other postings or parts of the same posting

example:
potku wrote:Multi-Quote is a very useful MOD
potku wrote:all those posts you ticked will show up
potku wrote:Just imagine
Meis2M wrote:+10
really :)

Rhino.Freak

Post by Rhino.Freak » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:09 am

Need this extension! :) thanks!

LavIgor

Post by LavIgor » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:23 am

I suggest trying to test new Ajax features in the validated QuickReply Reloaded extension.
It makes it possible to quote the posts without leaving the topic.

I plan to fix the reply box in the bottom of the page in future releases so that the topic won't event scroll to the bottom when you click the Quote button.

Otherwise I would need to create a hidden container for the captured quotes, but I don't think that it is absolutely necessary comparing to the textarea displayed on the page.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Return to “Extension Requests”