Attached Images Resizer, Converter & File Size Reducer

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Suggested Hosts
][Moon][Shine][

Re: Attached Images Resizer, Converter & File Size Reducer

Post by ][Moon][Shine][ » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:44 am

DavidIQ wrote:Because most admins won't allow uploading of massive amounts of images or large sized images to their servers through the upload feature. That is why the img BBCode exists and why many wouldn't benefit a whole lot from this. ;-) In fact the only way to target img BBCode referenced images for this "slimming" would be to store them locally so it would actually hurt the very thing you say is advantageous.
Two different approaches indeed, but in our community all shown images are actually stored on our server, simply because if external sources are not available any more, the pictures are gone too. That way I can take care that all content including images are preserved as long as the forum exists. The other thing is that pointing to external sources for images has the same problem with page load times, picture format and size not under your control.

Holger

Post by Holger » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:16 pm

It is the same with my communities.
To extend this I have let a programmer mod the code so that we (mods and admins) can transfer external images to our server by an one-click action.

][Moon][Shine][

Post by ][Moon][Shine][ » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:31 pm

Holger wrote:It is the same with my communities.
To extend this I have let a programmer mod the code so that we (mods and admins) can transfer external images to our server by an one-click action.
So you already have a mod (extension?) in place that does all of it including one-click importing of images hosted externally? That sounds like material for the requested "super" extension. :)

Holger

Post by Holger » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:48 pm

It is custom modded for my phpBB 3.0.12 communities.
But of course I will take that with me to phpBB 3.1 when migrating.

When migrating to 3.0 I also took the phpBB2-mod UploadPic "with me".

][Moon][Shine][

Post by ][Moon][Shine][ » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:00 pm

I have no idea about the effort to make such an extension or to move a phpBB 3.0.x mod over to a phpBB 3.1.x extension.

Did you pay a programmer to do that custom mod for you?

If someone here should take the bait and actually create such a super pic extension, could you donate the code for that one-click pic import function? I know this is all far fetched most likely not creating enough interest for someone experienced to take a closer look, but if it should actually happen it would make a hell of a really useful add-on. :)

Holger

Post by Holger » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:03 pm

][Moon][Shine][ wrote:Did you pay a programmer to do that custom mod for you?
Yes.

I will ask the programmer to release it when we migrate. But that might take some months.

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:44 pm

I think this is one area where phpbb is seriously lacking :| It's a simple request that always ends up in the same argument/discussion.

Resize attachments on upload in every aspect, to a pre-determined size/percentage. Simple!
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

Swanny

Post by Swanny » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:12 am

I really can't add value to what's been said already, some people in this thread "get it" and some don't. I know Xenforo has this functionality built-in, I'm not sure about other forum packages. IMHO it should be a "standard feature" in a forum software package that already has the ability to handle attachments.

I would honestly code this feature if I had the skills to do the coding. Unfortunately I do not, so all I can do is put forth the suggestion and try to convince people why it makes sense, and hopefully somewhere someone can assist with this. I would be willing to pitch in some cash to get this done if a custom developer wanted to take the project on.

I've set limits in phpBB for attachments but it's really a band-aid fix at best. The error message when someone uploads a pic that is too big in size or filesize the message is not helpful. Keep things simple for users and they will be happier users. Let them upload their 20MB photo of the cake they just decorated or whatever, and the software should magically handle that file so ever person who views that photo in the future downloads a 100KB photo or whatever it gets sized down to.

My server has ImageMagick installed and I have a separate photo gallery script that does this feature already. The only reason I still use the dated (kinda awful) script is because phpBB does not auto-resize the original files when they're uploaded.

Swanny

Post by Swanny » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:34 am

][Moon][Shine][ wrote:I have no idea why any admin would NOT want this functionality, as it has only advantages. Why would an admin not want to save bandwidth, server storage space and optimize page load time? Maybe most admins simply don't know about the impact of that feature, but if explained and shown the benefits I guess everybody will want to have it! ;)
+1, I agree 100%.
DavidIQ wrote:Because most admins won't allow uploading of massive amounts of images or large sized images to their servers through the upload feature. That is why the img BBCode exists and why many wouldn't benefit a whole lot from this. ;-) In fact the only way to target img BBCode referenced images for this "slimming" would be to store them locally so it would actually hurt the very thing you say is advantageous.
I don't want to limit the upload size when it is a photo. Do you think Flickr would be as popular if they said "whoops your photo is too large, try again"? No, they take whatever you upload and size it down for "normal" viewing (not scaling it down, actually serve you smaller size file). In their case they keep the original file, but for our purposes we have no need for a huge file, we just want the original resized to a max size that we set.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:49 am

Swanny wrote:I don't want to limit the upload size when it is a photo. Do you think Flickr would be as popular if they said "whoops your photo is too large, try again"? No, they take whatever you upload and size it down for "normal" viewing (not scaling it down, actually serve you smaller size file). In their case they keep the original file, but for our purposes we have no need for a huge file, we just want the original resized to a max size that we set.
Yes I know how it works and more or less how they do it. But, as previously stated, most admins will opt for more use of the img BBCode than hosting of attachments on their site. Of course those that support the idea will voice their opinion here because that's what they want, but far as I can tell there was no MOD in 3.0 for this and currently very little support for the idea to the point that the RFC hasn't gone past a single page where almost all respondents that are for the idea have actually replied here as well.

To be clear I'm not against the idea but that it hasn't been done can be completely attributed to a lack of support. Your best bet is to lure that Russian programmer to here for sharing of her extension in English form or having someone help her with the English.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:04 am

DavidIQ wrote:But, as previously stated, most admins will opt for more use of the img BBCode than hosting of attachments on their site.
I'd say that's definitely becoming the 'less done' thing. As with all forums, facebook and the like set the standard, and of course, uploading an image there is easy...Not the case for new users to a phpbb forum who don't even know what bbcode is. (Also more increasingly common)

I've always stayed with not allowing attachments in all of my boards over the years, I even added a hard coded 'Resize script' with a button [Resize Image] next to the posting form subject, and even a 'Pop up' photobucket plugin to make it truly as easy as possible...

But recently I've allowed attachments, and the amount of pictures that now get posted has really surprised me.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

][Moon][Shine][

Post by ][Moon][Shine][ » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:22 am

All valid points, one way or another. I think other forum admins either are not aware of the mentioned problems or they don't care, but if we can draw more attention to this the more people participate the better our chances get that maybe someone with the proper knowledge and some spare time could have a look at it.

It's a win+win having such an extension available, beneficial for forum users and aware forum administrators. And it's right, all the large sizes like Twitter, Facebook, and especially the image hosting sizes have it, and they would not be that popular if users had to take care of properly formating / sizing their pictures themselves.

You just can't forbid users to upload images or put restrictions for max. file size in place, as said, if it gets impractical users will refrain from sharing their images instead of trying to fix that problems on their side, and that's absolutely not wanted.

I'll ask that Russian programmer if she may take a look at this thread.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:23 pm

My wifes forum users can not resize images at all. This would be a boon for her. It'll convince her to move to 3.1.x too :mrgreen:

][Moon][Shine][

Post by ][Moon][Shine][ » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:44 pm

Exactly, it really is that serious!

I have even put up a sticky explaining how to prep a pic before upload, even with a link to a free Web Photo Resizer, but my forum members are altogether so untechnical they have no idea what I'm talking about.

And it's totally understandable, I don't want to burden them having to prep their pictures if all they want is share their images and photos, as said most of the times directly from their mobile phones or cameras, and that's what this extension request is all about.

DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:27 pm

I'm currently working on the JavaScript for ReIMG so once I finish I'll take a look at adding some attached image server side resizing functionality unless someone else picks this up. What would be the desired features?
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Return to “Extension Requests”