Attached Images Resizer, Converter & File Size Reducer

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Ideas Centre
][Moon][Shine][

Re: Attached Images Resizer, Converter & File Size Reducer

Post by ][Moon][Shine][ »

DavidIQ wrote:I'm currently working on the JavaScript for ReIMG so once I finish I'll take a look at adding some attached image server side resizing functionality unless someone else picks this up. What would be the desired features?
Sounds great!

Desired features:
  • Automatic down-sizing of image to configured resolution
  • If it's a PNG, conversion to JPG
  • Saving as JPG with configured JPG-quality setting
  • Option to remove EXIF data
  • And @Holger's one-click import function would be the added super-bonus
Did I forget something?
Holger

Post by Holger »

][Moon][Shine][ wrote: Did I forget something?
Optional WATERMARKING! :D

As for the one-click import in my sites: the files are saved in an extra folder and shown with the IMG-tag.
Below each imported image the original URL of the picture is shown.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

I've made myself a ticket for it:
https://github.com/DavidIQ/phpBB-ReIMG- ... /issues/18
Holger wrote:
][Moon][Shine][ wrote: Did I forget something?
Optional WATERMARKING! :D

As for the one-click import in my sites: the files are saved in an extra folder and shown with the IMG-tag.
Below each imported image the original URL of the picture is shown.
I think I need more specific information on what this is and what it does. Not sure I totally understand.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
][Moon][Shine][

@DavidIQ, it's what @Holger mentioned some postings back:
Holger wrote:To extend this I have let a programmer mod the code so that we (mods and admins) can transfer external images to our server by an one-click action. I will ask the programmer to release it when we migrate. But that might take some months.
So maybe @Holger can donate the code for that function to be included by you?

Oh, and yes, forgot the optional watermarking, that would be really cool too! :)
Holger

Post by Holger »

On my sites:
When users post external images/photos by using the IMG-tag we notice this because they are not watermarked with our choosen logo (the watermark is attached when using the forums attachment- or our custom upload-function).

When we (mods/admins) notice the external images we can click on a button (located at the quote-button area) at each post.

When clicking this button the external image/photo is transfered to our servers and saved in a separate folder.

The post is automatically updated and the external IMG-link is replaced with the local one.

Additionally the original link is added as text below the image/photo.

In the settings for posting the user can tick an option that prevents us from copying the image/photo, the one-click-transfer button is then hidden.

Example 1:
In this screenshot you can see the watermark.
No need to do anything because the image was uploaded with one of the forums upload-functions and is saved on our own servers.

Example 2:
In this screenshot you can see NO watermark, it has to be external.
The mods/admins now click on one-click copy button to transfer the image to our own servers.

When clicking the one-click copy button the post also is updated and the external URL is changed to the local, additionally the original URL is added below the image/photo.

- It is important that the users can block the copying of images/photos in the message options!
- The one-click-copy does not work if the IMG-URL is https
- The one-click-copy does not watermark the image/photo
Holger

Post by Holger »

][Moon][Shine][ wrote:So maybe @Holger can donate the code for that function to be included by you?
It depends, and we will not update our sites before maybe Middle of 2015.
Walther

Post by Walther »

Holger wrote:...
When we (mods/admins) notice the external images we can click on a button (located at the quote-button area) at each post.

When clicking this button the external image/photo is transfered to our servers and saved in a separate folder.
awesome :shock:
Especially when it could be automated, so when the posting is being posted, it goes to a parser which takes remote img links and uploads them automatically to the server and then replaces the external img urls for local img urls, preferable in a folder which also includes the username of the poster, that way you are building a personal catalog/photoalbum at the very same time ;)

Oh btw: regarding the speed for bots and big images, we solved it with the permission sets of bots, they can't view attachments.
Known bots, that is.
Holger

Post by Holger »

Yes, I do agree that it is awesome!
It is one of the most important mods in my communities because we have dedicated our forums to collect and provide technical information for a long time.
If images break after some months because someone closes an imageshack-account it would be a disaster.
Walther wrote:Especially when it could be automated, so when the posting is being posted, it goes to a parser which takes remote img links and uploads them automatically to the server and then replaces the external img urls for local img urls, preferable in a folder which also includes the username of the poster, that way you are building a personal catalog/photoalbum at the very same time ;)
No, there was a limit somewhere, this would take to long time and annoy the users.
This is custom programmed and was rather expensiv :?
Holger

Post by Holger »

Also, do not forget the copyright-aspects!
We DO look at the images and decide wether or not to copy them via one-click.
This will be lost in an automated process! Not recommended!

You as a forum/site-owner are responsible for the content!
Walther

Post by Walther »

this would take to long time and annoy the users.
Hmmm, I understand the problem, but still like to automate things, so next choice would be a cron job with a limitation of X photo's each time it runs.
This is custom programmed and was rather expensiv
I see, that would be a problem then to share the code.

But still like the idea, and with the cracks here on phpBB.com, there is a good change someone of them likes this challenge.
Holger wrote:Also, do not forget the copyright-aspects!
Well, if the users does flag it 'protected', it would be skipped.
][Moon][Shine][

Q

Wow, that's really amazing, @Holger. If such functionality could be incorporated somehow, it would be outstanding. All that in one extension would make a total killer add-on, @DavidIQ.
Holger

Post by Holger »

Walther wrote:
This is custom programmed and was rather expensiv
I see, that would be a problem then to share the code.
No, the code is mine, because I bought it.

Regarding the copyright-aspects: consider to have to do it manual.
It is a trap! :evil:
And very expensive if the copyright holder finds out, even if it is only linked from external!
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil »

+1 to the original idea, but I'd rather it was kept simple.

Attachments resized upon upload as per the original request, with maybe an option of watermarking all images. << That would be a superb enough addition for me :)

I think the whole swapping of external to internal will just complicate things for a potential dev (David?) But if not then...Why not I suppose.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from :arrow: KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Twitch | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
Walther

Post by Walther »

Holger wrote:No, the code is mine, because I bought it.
urm, are you sure, because it is not always so that you are also free to distribute it for example.
Holger wrote:and very expensive if the copyright holder finds out!
ah yes, that could be a country thing. Afaik they are obliged by pointing you to the offending posting, only if you neglect then, you are liable.

Automation would even be better then a moderator personally approve, because if a moderator had to approve it personally, no one off the board members can 'deny knowing of the picture'.
Just suppose the moderator does *not* find out it is copyrighted material and approves it....then you are liable, while if an user said it was okay, then the user is liable.

"It can not be demanded from any board holder or moderator team to skim all the postings made in a day", judge ruled.
"And it is fair and common sense if you find your picture (for example) on a website without your consent, you first alert the board owner or moderator team instead of waving high priced bills", was also ruled by a judge
"On a side note, it could even be possible that the rightful owner of the picture posted it under an alias, only to be able to 'sue' the board later and billing them heavily, or ordered anyone to do so."

But as said: different country, different rules. Luckily good jurisprudence here :)
Holger

Post by Holger »

The swapping just ensures that there are no red-crosses after some months.

Return to “Extension Requests”