Attached Images Resizer, Converter & File Size Reducer

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
martti

Re: Attached Images Resizer, Converter & File Size Reducer

Post by martti » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:19 pm

Resizing is supported clientside. Processing power of the client is used before upload. But it could be that some clients don't support it.

dtleahy

Post by dtleahy » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:02 am

You may also want to elaborate on just exactly what "shrinkage" you want: screen shrinkage, uploaded file size shrinkage, or both. I want both.

A user uploading a gigantic file to the server, then having the forum software show a small version is not a solution to the problem of all the wasted server space. Files right out of users' cameras may easily be ten or even a hundred times bigger than they need to be to show on screen. As far as I know, 3.1 doesn't take care of this "shrink files on upload" functionality.
ramschulting wrote:Hi All,

I've read this topic several times now and it still confuses me, part of it says release 3.1 WILL do the file size shrinking automatically based on ACP settings but still many others are asking when the requested extension will become available....

I've recently upgraded my board from 3.0.14 to 3.1.6. I did have some code added to my 3.0.14 which did shrink (server side) all uploaded jpg's to 800 x 600 and it worked like a charm. However I can't add the same code to 3.1.6 as it then throws a server error (and I'm not a savvy PHP developer). Hence I started searching for an extension and found this topic.

So my questions is, do I need an extension to do server side file shrinking or should 3.1.6 take care of it?

FYI, currently my 3.1.6 version is NOT shrinking back file sizes no matter what I try...

ramschulting
Name: Richard Schulting

Post by ramschulting » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:59 am

martti wrote:Resizing is supported clientside. Processing power of the client is used before upload. But it could be that some clients don't support it.
Yes Martti I've seen your entries but no matter what I try it simply doesn't shrink down the file size. Using a current Chrome on Win7 and also using my Note2 (and have tried other browsers) the resulting file on the server has the exact same size. Could perhaps be a setting somewhere I'm overlooking though. Are there any dependencies on the hosting server and specific settings within the ACP which are required?

Some screenshots showing my settings and the size of the test file before and after upload

ImageImageImage

Thx for your help

ramschulting

Post by ramschulting » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:03 am

dtleahy wrote:You may also want to elaborate on just exactly what "shrinkage" you want: screen shrinkage, uploaded file size shrinkage, or both. I want both.
This is about uploaded file size as my server side storage is limited.

martti

Post by martti » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:34 am

ramschulting wrote: Yes Martti I've seen your entries but no matter what I try it simply doesn't shrink down the file size. Using a current Chrome on Win7 and also using my Note2 (and have tried other browsers) the resulting file on the server has the exact same size. Could perhaps be a setting somewhere I'm overlooking though. Are there any dependencies on the hosting server and specific settings within the ACP which are required?
I've tested it just now with phpBB 3.1.6 with three browsers: Firefox 43.0, Chrome 47.0.2526.106 (64-bit) and Chromium 47.0.2526.73 with OS Ubuntu 14.04 (64-bit). Uploading a file of 4,1 MB results in a file size of 333 kB with setting maximum dimensions 500 x 500 pixels. It's not yet optimal (could be around 50 kB I think), but it's already something.

I cannot see why it isn't working for you. Are there any javascript files that fail to load? Or maybe an extension is causing some error in the javascript.

ramschulting

Post by ramschulting » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:33 pm

Turned of all extensions but this didn't make any difference...

However when I switched back to prosilver things started to work! My forum is using subsilver2 as style and the issue seems to be related to this style :evil:

Will have to do some more investigation as it seems but at least I now know a direction. I think I will create a brand new test-forum with subsilver2 but without any extension. Maybe some previously installed extension messed things up...

martti

Post by martti » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:09 pm

ramschulting wrote:Turned of all extensions but this didn't make any difference...

However when I switched back to prosilver things started to work! My forum is using subsilver2 as style and the issue seems to be related to this style :evil:

Will have to do some more investigation as it seems but at least I now know a direction. I think I will create a brand new test-forum with subsilver2 but without any extension. Maybe some previously installed extension messed things up...
You might want to request to the person who maintains subsilver2 to fix this.

ramschulting

Post by ramschulting » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:14 pm

Yes Martti, that's the plan but only after testing with a virgin install, just in case something else caused the issue...

Thanks for your help and have a great new-years eve!

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:26 pm

ramschulting wrote:Yes Martti, that's the plan but only after testing with a virgin install, just in case something else caused the issue...

Thanks for your help and have a great new-years eve!
Don't bother. We no longer maintain subsilver2 (has been mentioned in previous announcements and is not even in our official packages) and it is completely abandoned for 3.2. The reason the resizing does not work in subsilver2 is because plupload was not added to it and will not be added to it.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

ramschulting

Post by ramschulting » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:21 pm

Ouch that hurts :o

I've seen the decission making process around subsilver2 but at the end it appeared to me it was a fully supported style, also because it's within the official database @ https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/subsilver2/

My board has been running for many years with this style and my members obviously got used to it. Guess I need to prepare them for a new style now...

Thanks though for the confirmation David, just saved me a lot of time :)

DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:59 pm

ramschulting wrote:it appeared to me it was a fully supported style, also because it's within the official database @ https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/subsilver2/
It's there so that events can be added to it for 3.1 and as a transition phase for those still on it. subsilver2 is even more dated than prosilver with regards to presentation and code and having to support 2 styles has always been a problem for the Development Team. Perhaps someone in the community with the desire to do so will create a prosilver-based subsilver2 if one doesn't exist yet, but that means you should seriously consider moving over to a prosilver-based template anyways especially to get the added features.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:22 am

ramschulting wrote:Ouch that hurts :o

I've seen the decission making process around subsilver2 but at the end it appeared to me it was a fully supported style, also because it's within the official database @ https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/subsilver2/

My board has been running for many years with this style and my members obviously got used to it. Guess I need to prepare them for a new style now...

Thanks though for the confirmation David, just saved me a lot of time :)
viewtopic.php?f=531&t=2307281 prosilver based style that has the look of subsilver

ramschulting

Post by ramschulting » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:29 pm

Yes I know this style exists as I initially built my new forum with this style but found some cosmetic issues and implemented subsilver2 instead. Guess I have to go back and see if I can fix those issues...

Thanks for the hint :)

fabiomaticus

Post by fabiomaticus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:26 pm

I have phpbb 3.2 and image attachment are automatic resize on server. But don't fuction on old Smartphone

Return to “Extension Requests”