How to change default notifications settings

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Suggested Hosts
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How to change default notifications settings

Post by KevC »

garfy wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:16 am i can thinck the box that says unsibscribe......that is weird...usually it says subscribe
Then that's because you were subscribed to this forum. And that's why you were getting emails.
No mystery special setup.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
garfy

Post by garfy »

that extension does not work on 3.1 right?
david63

Post by david63 »

garfy wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:20 am that extension does not work on 3.1 right?
Correct - but as 3.1 is almost EOL perhaps you should be upgrading
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
garfy

Post by garfy »

are most plugins / extensions available in 3.2?
garfy

Post by garfy »

what is the benefit of upgrading to 3.2?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

garfy wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:43 amare most plugins / extensions available in 3.2?
You need to check them (extensions not plug-ins) yourself either by visiting the extensions dedicated forum and seeing what it says and/or ask the author in the same place.
garfy wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:44 amwhat is the benefit of upgrading to 3.2?
3.2.2 is compatible with PHP v7 which everyone will be using in the near future. More than anything there will be support for 3.2 after June which 3.1 won’t have. There’s probably a raft of more reasons.

Please keep in mind that we have a six hour bumping rule. All team members and community members here are volunteers, so we ask you to wait at least six hours before bumping your topic or, if no-one has replied to your last post, edit your last post. Thanks!
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
david63

Post by david63 »

garfy wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:44 am what is the benefit of upgrading to 3.2?
And to add to what Mick posted above - you would be able to use my extension
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

garfy wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:12 am it is not default....i never subscribed to anything
If you reply to a topic, you subscribe by default to that topic because you participate ...
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

No you don't.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

canonknipser wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:16 pm
garfy wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:12 am it is not default....i never subscribed to anything
If you reply to a topic, you subscribe by default to that topic because you participate ...
are you sure about that? I don't find that to be true on any of my boards. to subscribe you have to click the subscribe button.
you only get notifications when you have subscribed or asked for them in other situations as far as I can tell.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

Ah, sorry, my fault - the first thing I enable in every phpBB board I join is the "Notify me upon replies by default" in ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=post
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
MaFeSa

Post by MaFeSa »

david63 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:17 am
Mick wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:34 am The fact that this extension request is four years old and no-one has taken up the challenge
I did viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2428976
Thanks David!
I'm using your extension for a long time and it's very important to me.
With other software forums I can change this setting but with phpBB it seems to go back 5 years...
garfy

Post by garfy »

i agree, I really dont know why these settings are not set by default...maybe somebody put a lawsuit out against phpbb.com and now they are afraid to use it
every other piece of forum software are notifying users by email.....even phpbb used to do that, but i guess something bad happened....
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I don't think even v2.0.x had it on by default.

Do you know 'every other piece of forum software' has it out of the box are have the sites got an addon running to set it? I use lots of forums, not one of them mails me by default to any updates of any topics I've posted in.
KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

I found another reason why admin should have some level of ability to change a user's notification settings.

When a user's email address no longer works and they haven't updated their account settings, then any notification emails sent will bounce back. Repeated attempts to send emails to a non-existent address may result in the administrator of that email host reporting the forum email account to a blacklist. Wasted emails also uses up quotas (for those that have them) and takes up server resources where multiple delivery attempts are being undertaken at regular intervals.

I have users who have subscribed to new topics in basically every forum of the board. After seeing the bounce-back messages, I have PM'd the users politely to update their email but often they have not visited in years.

I don't want to delete accounts but I should be able to either: change notifications so they only see them upon login, or have a user-configurable permission "can receive email".

A "Force Unsubscribe Email" extension might fulfil either role. This could even add a new notification to the user upon next login to inform them they are not receiving emails and they need to update their email address.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

Return to “Extension Requests”