Better [IMG] and [URL] prompts!

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Better [IMG] and [URL] prompts!

Post by Volksdevil » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:48 pm

Much needed in my opinion! Especially as we now have the possibility of ajax etc?

1/ When the [img] and [url] bbcode buttons are pressed, a pop up? box should appear.
2/ The [img] pop up should say 'Enter url of an image, with a text input below.
3/ The [url] pop up should first say 'Enter your url', and then say 'URL link text' or similar.

4/ When used, the relevant bbcode should be inserted into reply box (Inc quick reply, and any other reply extensions) on a new line with cursor underneath.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Better [IMG] and [URL] prompts!

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:47 am

what is the difference between typing/pasting a url into the popup box and doing it in the reply box between the img bbcode tags? same amount of effort and clicks, etc.

as for the url text link. the same thing applies.
you click the url button, you type a = then your url in the tag and then put your anchor text in between the tags.
done.

or, you can create bbcodes to do exactly what you want and use them instead of the builtin ones.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:09 am

Just from my experience really, users don't tend to know how to properly create URL's with a text object. And regards the IMG, I think that along with the URL can be much nicer with a bit of ajax/better UI.

I guess I'm just used to it/missing it from my old 3.0.x boards.
My phpBB Extensions

ViolaF

Post by ViolaF » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:10 pm

Should work in 3.1, too. Just some minor template-edits..

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:16 pm

Thanks ViolaF but hopefully an extension can be created...If not then I guess it's back to the editing. :)
My phpBB Extensions

P_I

Post by P_I » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:20 pm

A workaround that has proven very helpful on the forums that I run. We've educated the members that some of what you want can be accomplished via a browser extension/add-ons, such as Firefox's Make Link :: Add-ons for Firefox or the Chrome version of it Create Link - Chrome Web Store.

Our of the box they don't support BBCode, but it is easy to add them. For example, in Chrome, I've created a format named 'BBCode' with the format [url=%url%]%htmlEscapedText%[/url]. When I see a something that I'd like to link into a forum post, I right click, select Create link->BBCode and then paste it into a forum post. I used it to create the links above to Make Link and Create Link.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:58 am

this:

Code: Select all

[url=https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/create-link/gcmghdmnkfdbncmnmlkkglmnnhagajbm?hl=en]your link from above[/url]
creates this in three clicks:
your link from above

one right click on the link and choose copy link location.
one click on the code url bbcode button.
type in the = and one click to paste the url
then type in the words I want to be the anchor link.

done.

how is that any harder than
right click on the link, save the link
click on a bbcode button
right click in the popup box
paste your url and then type in the words for the anchor link and click ok or submit or whatever.

I will be out after this post as I have taken it off topic and I do apologize.
I tend to wonder why people ask for extensions that are not really needed and that is only my opinion and we all know what opinions are like.

sorry,
robert

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:22 pm

NP. :)

It's all about the user experience/user interface for me. Just clicking the url bbcode button is indeed easy enough, for those that know. ;) But to make it easy for everybody I prefer the popup (Or similar) that actually says 'Put URL here' and 'Put link name here'.

I prefer to take away the unknown where I can, such as not everybody knows about the formatting with the '=' to create a link name, even with the language prompts that you get when hovering over the bbcode buttons.

Now that we can make use of ajax etc I think why not make things more visually appealing and easier to use?

Thanks for those tips PI, didn't know about those! Will have a look for my own doing (To make Dev work etc easier maybe) but I'd still like to have the nicer IMG and URL prompts if anybody fancies it.
My phpBB Extensions

timeforhelp1

Post by timeforhelp1 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:31 pm

Lumpy,I know you help a lot on here,but because you don't want something or it's something you would not use,either help in the topic or leave alone.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:40 pm

timeforhelp1 wrote:Lumpy,I know you help a lot on here,but because you don't want something or it's something you would not use,either help in the topic or leave alone.
thank you for your input. My feeling is that if I can explain how to do something using the built in functions of the software instead of having to create more add-ons etc , that I am helping the person.

It seems that you are the one that has not added anything helpful to the discussion.

thanks,
robert

timeforhelp1

Post by timeforhelp1 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:57 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
timeforhelp1 wrote:Lumpy,I know you help a lot on here,but because you don't want something or it's something you would not use,either help in the topic or leave alone.
thank you for your input. My feeling is that if I can explain how to do something using the built in functions of the software instead of having to create more add-ons etc , that I am helping the person.

It seems that you are the one that has not added anything helpful to the discussion.

thanks,
robert
Most if not all of us know how to do it,some just want it to be easier like some other boards have.
Now can you make the extension or not,cause if you cant...

Schtorsch

Post by Schtorsch » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:00 pm

Volksdevil wrote:Much needed in my opinion! Especially as we now have the possibility of ajax etc?

1/ When the [img] and [url] bbcode buttons are pressed, a pop up? box should appear.
3/ The [url] pop up should first say 'Enter your url', and then say 'URL link text' or similar.

4/ When used, the relevant bbcode should be inserted into reply box (Inc quick reply, and any other reply extensions) on a new line with cursor underneath.
+1

Need such an extension also... :oops:

yasser33311
Name: yasser ghe

Post by yasser33311 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:31 am

Volksdevil wrote:Much needed in my opinion! Especially as we now have the possibility of ajax etc?

+1000000 :)
PhpBB Services - install, update, upgrade, customize: PM

Schtorsch

Post by Schtorsch » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:38 pm

Nobody can help? :cry:

Wolfsblvt

Post by Wolfsblvt » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:58 pm

Isn't that already part of the Advanced BBCode extension?
If not, I'll add it to my list. I'll need that later myself :P But I will not do that soon, so if anyone other feels free, I would appreciate that.
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.
My extensions (Trending: @Mention SystemAdvanced PollsUser Online Time)

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«

Return to “Extension Requests”