Convert Handymans 3.0 AJAX Chat for 3.1

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Get Involved
Dragosvr92
Name: Dragos Valentin Rădulescu

Convert Handymans 3.0 AJAX Chat for 3.1

Post by Dragosvr92 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:39 pm

It seems that the AJAX Chat file change instructions work fine on phpbb 3.1.

Is anyone out there interested into converting the edit instructions into an extension and possibly add an acp module.....? :?
Formerly known as TheKiller
3.0| Avatar on Memberlist 1.0.3

noth

Re: Convert Handymans 3.0 AJAX Chat for 3.1

Post by noth » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:23 pm

this has just gone to BETA yesterday so will probably beat any EXT being converted that you request and may in fact be equal to what you're after anyway

an EXT of Handymans 3.0 AJAX Chat would be entirely welcomed by me - ran that mod for a year or two before mChat came along - very good! :mrgreen:

spaceace

Post by spaceace » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:18 pm

noth wrote:this has just gone to BETA yesterday so will probably beat any EXT being converted that you request and may in fact be equal to what you're after anyway
Paul's ext will not be the same as Handyman's. i have Handyman's chat mod installed on my phpBB 3.1.2 board and it works great. and yes, i said mod as i edited the board files to put it in. i have chat with bbcodes, smilies, avatars, sound, an @ function to get a users attention in chat as well as a chat popup and archive and a font colour hold that uses cookies to remember the user selected chat font colour ;)

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:46 pm

And you're being stingy by not sharing that with others.:P Just think if that hadn't been written up you would have had to start at square one.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

noth

Post by noth » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:17 pm

would many people who have gone to 3.1 want to share that though? :oops:

he edited the board files to put it in? :o

in 3.0 that would be perfectly acceptable and all phpBB Admins would more than likely follow in huge numbers

in 3.1 any Admin is perfectly able to edit the board files and no surprise that it works, well it would

but is that how you do it in 3.1? really?

in the age of extensions? Good Luck with your Handyman's chat mod installed on your phpBB 3.1.2 that you edited the board files to put it in, I'm sure it's marvellous

but you can count me out, I'll wait for Paul's ;)

spaceace

Post by spaceace » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:53 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:And you're being stingy by not sharing that with others.:P Just think if that hadn't been written up you would have had to start at square one.
hmmm... being stingy about sharing a mod to put on a phpBB3.1.X board... anyone can put a mod in that was publicly shared. and i'm very thankful that Handyman made the mod in the first place. so thankful in fact that i had made a donation to his site ;)
noth wrote:would many people who have gone to 3.1 want to share that though? :oops:

he edited the board files to put it in? :o

in 3.0 that would be perfectly acceptable and all phpBB Admins would more than likely follow in huge numbers

in 3.1 any Admin is perfectly able to edit the board files and no surprise that it works, well it would

but is that how you do it in 3.1? really?

in the age of extensions? Good Luck with your Handyman's chat mod installed on your phpBB 3.1.2 that you edited the board files to put it in, I'm sure it's marvellous

but you can count me out, I'll wait for Paul's ;)
Paul's mod, however good it is or is not should not be put on a live board. Handyman's chat has been around for a long time and heavily tested on many board setups and was considered stable enough to put on a live board. i never once said to people to put it on their board and follow in my example.

besides, this is an extension request to have the mod ported... +1 for that here :D

noth

Post by noth » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:05 pm

you might as well go back to 3.0 if you're going to edit your board files so heavily
spaceace wrote: and yes, i said mod as i edited the board files to put it in. i have chat with bbcodes, smilies, avatars, sound, an @ function to get a users attention in chat as well as a chat popup and archive and a font colour hold that uses cookies to remember the user selected chat font colour ;)
that is a heavy lot of edits

3.1 was not designed for that, although as the board owner you can do whatever works !

3.1 is designed for Extensions so boasting about your modifications - done in the old 3.0 fashion doesn't impress me much :D

infinitiv
Name: Ficjusz

Post by infinitiv » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:08 pm

IDK if you need exacly the Handyman's ext, but there's mChat being made by dmzx and he said that it's 95% done.

Sniper_E
Name: Ed Humphrey

Post by Sniper_E » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:20 pm

Handyman.s 3.0 AJAX Chat could be made into an extension for 3.1.x
spaceace has a nice modified version of it to start it up with.
No is NEVER an Option and NEVER is the only Option when it comes to Giving Up!
:!: Sniper_E Styles | phpbbmodders :!:

spaceace

Post by spaceace » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:22 pm

noth wrote:3.1 is designed for Extensions so boasting about your modifications - done in the old 3.0 fashion doesn't impress me much :D
i didn't know i needed to impress you :roll:

none the less, i will probably end up porting this myself if i can get enough time

Return to “Extension Requests”