[URL] Permission

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Ideas Centre
Phineus4

[URL] Permission

Post by Phineus4 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.1.2
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Conversion from phpBB2
Do you have any MODs installed? No
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
Please describe your problem:

I am enthusiastic about getting started with phpBB 3.1.2 but find an extremely helpful anti-spam feature is missing. That is, people in the Newly Registered Members groups should NOT be able to make posts containing [URL], <a>, or http://www. types of links in their posts. A bit inconvenient for legitimate members but a crucial strategy to thwart spambots that nobody has ever resented on my forums. I am surprised URL permissions are not already an included feature of the new forum but would welcome it as the very first extension I would even consider installing... and it is the single most important feature that has allowed me to run phpBB 2.x for so long without the worry about upgrading.

Thank you.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: [URL] Permission

Post by KevC » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:04 pm

The point of using the newly registered users group though is that those posts never get seen by the users until they are approved so the users never see the spambots (assuming they've got past the antispam registration measures) because you would not have approved them.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Phineus4

Re: [URL] Permission

Post by Phineus4 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi Kev,

Yes, that's true. I guess I'm looking for a compromise that (a) reduces the amount of moderator intervention, and (b) decreases delays for new members. It's a subtle distinction I agree but it's a distinction that's worked splendidly for me for almost ten years on phpBB 2x on a site that exists for posting links.

So I guess a related question would be about the ability to turn off moderator approval for new member posts.

Anyway, I have a couple more questions related to this issue but I need to learn a bit more about groups before I can ask them.

Cheers

Return to “Extension Requests”