RSS importer (available)

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
Edward572
Name: Edward

Re: RSS importer (available)

Post by Edward572 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:43 am

Thanks
Last edited by Edward572 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alsthom

Post by alsthom » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:48 pm

Hello,
I would also like to check this ext.
I have sent a pm. :oops:
Thank you.

ghost1313

Post by ghost1313 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:21 am

with no solution for the error that occurs when it uploads and posts from the RSS imported this is dead in the water.

Anyone find a fix?

Holger

Post by Holger » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:34 am

ghost1313 wrote:I've got it loaded and working however I have questions s for users of this. I also get the error page after it loads the posts. Click on back to index and all works fine. I'll check out the option supplied in the topic to see if that fixes it for me,anyone come up with alternate solutions for this?
What error page?

rAdic

Re: RSS importer

Post by rAdic » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:28 pm

Holger wrote:I will get this done by a programmer and I will make the ext public as soon as it is finished.

!
thanks for sharing this and lets all help develop it.

I have set mine up and waiting for a feed to show the posts when they are there with interest....

ghost1313

Post by ghost1313 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:06 pm

Holger wrote:
ghost1313 wrote:I've got it loaded and working however I have questions s for users of this. I also get the error page after it loads the posts. Click on back to index and all works fine. I'll check out the option supplied in the topic to see if that fixes it for me,anyone come up with alternate solutions for this?
What error page?

Each time it imports and posts I get this page when I go to the site or refresh.
General Error
Tried to redirect to potentially insecure url.

You can simply click "back to index" and all is fine.

The problem is.if I have it importing from multiple feeds throughout the day then my users could get this error page several times a day. This has been reported in this topic by several others as well.
Id love to figure out a fix it truly is a great extension as everything else works perfectly...

Holger

Post by Holger » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:20 am

Yes, I have noticed that too.
Are you using https?

rAdic

Post by rAdic » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:07 am

Some ideas to improve this would be:

Allow to turn an individual feed on or off
Allow longer than 24 hours like 2 or 3 days, etc.

Otherwise it seems to be working pretty well. Some more testing will be done and I will make a donation as well soon.

# on another note, how do you guys like to use it? Do you setup one member to post automatically or do you use several user accounts to post?

# Do you like the feeds that offer full articles with images or do you prefer just small highlight text and link to the article?

Holger

Post by Holger » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:14 am

It is possible to deactivate Posting for each feed. Click on the feed name and change the setting.

I am using a member called RSS Robot for all posts.

And I only want a small hint about what the article is about, so, a short abstract.
Posting a full article with all images and so on might not be allowed. But no feed-provider will complain if I send the reader over.

Mess
Name: Kim

Post by Mess » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:40 am

Holger wrote:Posting a full article with all images and so on might not be allowed. But no feed-provider will complain if I send the reader over.
The feed provider controls what is shared. So all content of a rss feed is free to use.
Just remember to share the source.

Holger

Post by Holger » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:46 am

Ah, thanks!

rAdic

Post by rAdic » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:45 pm

Holger wrote:It is possible to deactivate Posting for each feed. Click on the feed name and change the setting.
I thought this setting is just for disabling the content but the title is still posted? OK so then this will turn off the feed entirely, that sounds good then, thanks!

"Post content of the feed:
If enabled, downloaded content will be posted to board"
Holger wrote: I am using a member called RSS Robot for all posts.

And I only want a small hint about what the article is about, so, a short abstract.
Posting a full article with all images and so on might not be allowed. But no feed-provider will complain if I send the reader over.
Ok, yeah I have one account posting like this but I have a mixture of feeds, some post full content while other just post a snippet. Just experimenting and testing at this stage but looks good.

Edward572

Post by Edward572 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:50 pm

ghost1313 wrote:
Holger wrote:
What error page?

Each time it imports and posts I get this page when I go to the site or refresh.
General Error

The problem is.if I have it importing from multiple feeds throughout the day then my users could get this error page several times a day. This has been reported in this topic by several others as well.
Id love to figure out a fix it truly is a great extension as everything else works perfectly...
In the ACP, under feed reader, GENERAL SETTINGS.
1. INDEX INIT, select, "NO"
2. INDEX POST, select, "NO"
3. CRON INIT, select, "YES"
4. CRON POST, select, "YES"
Is your uncle named bob? OMG LOL, sry, this WILL solve that error and will work wonderfully.
That's a temp fix until someone re-codes the INDEX INIT, and INDEX POST, or what ever code uses those settings...
Cheers,
Ed

ghost1313

Post by ghost1313 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:56 pm

Edward572 wrote:
ghost1313 wrote:
Holger wrote:
What error page?

General Error

In the ACP, under feed reader, GENERAL SETTINGS.
1. INDEX INIT, select, "NO"
2. INDEX POST, select, "NO"
3. CRON INIT, select, "YES"
4. CRON POST, select, "YES"
Is your uncle named bob? OMG LOL, sry, this WILL solve that error and will work wonderfully.
That's a temp fix until someone re-codes the INDEX INIT, and INDEX POST, or what ever code uses those settings...
Cheers,
Ed

This doesn't require me to do anything else? Like set up CRON jobs somewhere? Would be sweet if this truly is the fix, Thanks!!

Edward572

Post by Edward572 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:12 pm

It uses the CRON.php file standard to the board, no settings, nothing more than I posted...

Cheers,
Ed
Last edited by Edward572 on Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Extension Requests”