Mentions

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Get Involved
User avatar
Louis7777
Registered User
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Mentions

Post by Louis7777 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:45 am

Wolfsblvt wrote:
Louis7777 wrote:Can you use phpBB's functions for username finding? There are some functions utilized at the live member search (try typing something in the Username field): memberlist.php?mode=searchuser
I could, yes. But do you think this is better then my solution? :D
I have not done any comparison. I'm only hoping that if you complete this extension then it might become part of the core. If you use phpBB's functions, there would be less effort for the devs to merge it.

User avatar
Wolfsblvt
Registered User
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Solingen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Mentions

Post by Wolfsblvt » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:52 pm

Louis7777 wrote:I have not done any comparison. I'm only hoping that if you complete this extension then it might become part of the core. If you use phpBB's functions, there would be less effort for the devs to merge it.
I am quite sure the devs will go another way then I do.
I don't like that you have to wait for the ajax call in autocompletion, so the box doesn't pop up the moment you write.
Also I don't like the idea of using BBCodes for mentions. What the devs want to do (if I remember the area51 discussion) is that you enter @Username it will be converted to [mention]Username[/mention].
For me, the mention system should work only with the @, that doesn't confuse so much like BBCodes would.

At the moment I have some challenges with names with spaces (Who the fuck has thought out that this should be possible? :evil: ), but I'll find a way.

And I think you should not be worried, the feature will be implemented. But the devs will write it again, I don't think my skills are high enough to make this good enough for the core :P
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.
My extensions (Trending: @Mention SystemAdvanced PollsUser Online Time)

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«

User avatar
Louis7777
Registered User
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Mentions

Post by Louis7777 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:37 pm

Wolfsblvt wrote: Also I don't like the idea of using BBCodes for mentions. What the devs want to do (if I remember the area51 discussion) is that you enter @Username it will be converted to [mention]Username[/mention].
For me, the mention system should work only with the @, that doesn't confuse so much like BBCodes would.
It was only being discussed, but I think that what appealed better was something like [url=userprofile]@Username[/url]. It should be a link to a profile after all, isn't that right?

Apart from that, you have to convert it into something otherwise how would the post look like when you edit it? Will you leave it as raw @Username?

User avatar
Wolfsblvt
Registered User
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Solingen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Mentions

Post by Wolfsblvt » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:42 pm

Louis7777 wrote:It was only being discussed, but I think that what appealed better was something like [url=userprofile]@Username[/url]. It should be a link to a profile after all, isn't that right?
That would be a solution. But not he best, I would say. In this case I could also use a [mention] bbcode, cause it is a bbcode already.
Louis7777 wrote:Apart from that, you have to convert it into something otherwise how would the post look like when you edit it? Will you leave it as raw @Username?
Yes, to leave it was the plan.
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.
My extensions (Trending: @Mention SystemAdvanced PollsUser Online Time)

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«

User avatar
Louis7777
Registered User
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Mentions

Post by Louis7777 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:58 pm

Wolfsblvt wrote: That would be a solution. But not he best, I would say. In this case I could also use a [mention] bbcode, cause it is a bbcode already.
Imo it would be better to have something like [mention=userprofile]@Username[/mention]. The benefit of the mention BBCode (or any other new BBCode) would be that it could use {LOCAL_URL} tokens so that we can have relative paths for the user profiles rather than the absolute paths of the [url] BBcode.
Wolfsblvt wrote:Yes, to leave it was the plan.
In that case, how will the raw @Username link to a user's profile? Shouldn't it be a link?

User avatar
Wolfsblvt
Registered User
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Solingen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Mentions

Post by Wolfsblvt » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:15 pm

Louis7777 wrote:Imo it would be better to have something like [mention=userprofile]@Username[/mention]. The benefit of the mention BBCode (or any other new BBCode) would be that it could use {LOCAL_URL} tokens so that we can have relative paths for the user profiles rather than the absolute paths of the [url] BBcode.
Why should the link even be inserted in the bbcode? There is no need for the, it can be generated on the php side while parsing the bbcode.
Louis7777 wrote:In that case, how will the raw @Username link to a user's profile? Shouldn't it?
Same as above, even with no bbcode I can replace @Usernames by their profile link on message parsing.
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.
My extensions (Trending: @Mention SystemAdvanced PollsUser Online Time)

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«

User avatar
Louis7777
Registered User
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Mentions

Post by Louis7777 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:37 pm

Wolfsblvt wrote:Same as above, even with no bbcode I can replace @Usernames by their profile link on message parsing.
But after you have submitted your post and when you go to edit it you will see something like this:

Hello @Wolfsblvt I am mentioning you.

How will that output any links? The desired output would be this:
Hello Wolfsblvt I am mentioning you.

User avatar
Wolfsblvt
Registered User
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Solingen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Mentions

Post by Wolfsblvt » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:52 pm

Louis7777 wrote:But after you have submitted your post and when you go to edit it you will see something like this:

Hello @Wolfsblvt I am mentioning you.

How will that output any links? The desired output would be this:
Hello Wolfsblvt I am mentioning you.
When you edit a post, you will always see plain text, not the converted, also with all other bbcodes. So when you view the post in viewtopic, you will see the converted username with profile link, when you edit you will just see the @Username.
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.
My extensions (Trending: @Mention SystemAdvanced PollsUser Online Time)

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«

User avatar
Volksdevil
Registered User
Posts: 2414
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:03 pm
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: Neil
Contact:

Re: Mentions

Post by Volksdevil » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:04 pm

Now this looks great!

One concern though...When you type '@' will it bring up the whole/full memberlist initially? Rather than wait till you type letters? It could be a BIG list/drain on resources?
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

User avatar
Louis7777
Registered User
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Mentions

Post by Louis7777 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Wolfsblvt wrote: When you edit a post, you will always see plain text, not the converted, also with all other bbcodes. So when you view the post in viewtopic, you will see the converted username with profile link, when you edit you will just see the @Username.
That would be ideal, if it is possible! :)

User avatar
Wolfsblvt
Registered User
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Solingen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Mentions

Post by Wolfsblvt » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:21 pm

Volksdevil wrote:One concern though...When you type '@' will it bring up the whole/full memberlist initially? Rather than wait till you type letters? It could be a BIG list/drain on resources?
No. At first I will limit the display to 5 usernames. In the future I may make that configurable.
And best, I have planned to let this first usernames be the ones already posted in this topic, to make it easy to mention the right people.

And yes, the load of all usernames in the database may be a bit ressource draining. I think about caching that ajax call, but in my test forum it is quite fast.
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.
My extensions (Trending: @Mention SystemAdvanced PollsUser Online Time)

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«

leschek
Registered User
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Mentions

Post by leschek » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:34 pm

I think on area 51 was discussion about using the BBCode vs @ or both. On some keyboards the @ character is not easy to find, so users usually switch to "en" keyboard, find @ character and switch back to their language (there is also keyboard shortcut, but only nerds know it, because it is not visible on keyboards). For that reason I personally would prefer to use BBCode with possibility to use declension in names.

Something like this: [@]leschek[/@] and [@=leschek]lesek[/@] + @ username for people who doesn't like BBCodes (similar behavior as URL BBCode).

User avatar
Wolfsblvt
Registered User
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Solingen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Mentions

Post by Wolfsblvt » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:35 pm

I'll see what I can do.
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.
My extensions (Trending: @Mention SystemAdvanced PollsUser Online Time)

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«

User avatar
M.Gaetan89
Registered User
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:36 pm
Location: Divonne-les-Bains
Name: Gaëtan
Contact:

Re: Mentions

Post by M.Gaetan89 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:08 pm

Area51 is back /o\
Here is the topic about mentions: https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 08&t=42807

lukiaensyl
Registered User
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:47 pm

Re: Mentions

Post by lukiaensyl » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:31 pm

Looking great so far, I'm excited to see the progress you continue to make as time goes on. Hopefully you'll have something stable enough for us to test out sooner or later! Also @M.Gaetan89 thanks for the link! :D

Post Reply

Return to “Extension Requests”