ViewForum Blog

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Suggested Hosts
leschek

ViewForum Blog

Post by leschek »

I would like to ask if somebody would be able to create blog based on the posts in the board.

I know there are few blogs for phpBB (mostly MODs), but main idea for this is to have blog on board and be able to convert articles in blog back to topics (MODs and extensions get abandoned), because I don't want to lost any articles and comments, if I decide to upgrade board to a new version and there will not be extension for the blog I'm using.

So I thought that first post in the topic could serve as article for blog and other post would be comments. Now, in blogs are on the front page articles without comments and this (probably) could be replaced by showing the text of first posts in topics on vieforum.php. It can look similar as NV NewsPage MOD for phpBB 3.0, but it will be on viewforum.php and not on separate page.

Here is a few features I would like to have:
  • Show text of first posts (articles) of topics on vieforum.php
  • Show certain amount of the articles on vieforum.php - there is setting in ACP which can handle this - Topics per page:
  • New Forum Type named blog or something similar.
  • Blog author - it's already possible to set permission (Can start new topics) that only certain user (blog author) would be able to create topics.
  • Formatting of articles on vieforum.php - it should be formatted as first post of topic.
  • Max number of characters showed in one article on vieforum.php - Could be number setting or some BBCode like [vfblog][/vfblog] where the part user wants to appear on vieforum.php would have to be in this BBCode.
  • Blog category - if on board is more forums converted to blogs it would be nice to have some kind of blog category with links to blogs and last articles from all blogs (something as Active topics, but with texts) etc.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: ViewForum Blog

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

why not just use a blog instead of or along with, a bulletin board?

I don't understand wanting to change a bulletin board into a blog. they are two different things , I suggest having both and each can server the purpose it is meant for.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
leschek

Post by leschek »

Why to install another software/script if I have already bulletin board and try to create some bridge between them. Also I would like to have consistent (hope it's right word) look of whole website with the same control, headers etc.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:they are two different things
To me they look pretty close if there is text from first posts in topic showed on viewforum.php.
leschek

Post by leschek »

I was able (with lot of help) to hack the Topic Preview extension and created viewforum blog on my test forum (if anyone is interested how it looks). Unfortunately I'm not coder, so I'm bumping this and hope someone who is able to code finds this idea interesting.

Now it is possible in ACP to choose which forums should be blogs (based on forum ID) enable/disable the side panel, avatars, set length of text, show last comment under article and edit about text in side panel. Unfortunately I don't know how to make settings based on forum's IDs, so it would be possible to create for each forum different "about texts", panels in side panel, header images etc.
qoeple
Name: Qoeple Blogger

Post by qoeple »

I also searching this for converting my forum to a Blog,
I really like this PHPBB and wanna make it as My Blogging Platform :mrgreen:
Komunitas Blogger Indonesia - Blogging Comunity
buat blog gratis - Create Blog for free
pasang iklan gratis - Create Ads for free

Return to “Extension Requests”