quote remover

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
Wolfsblvt

Re: quote remover

Post by Wolfsblvt »

Dkell wrote:Hey Wolfsblvt, my forum members are really looking forward to this extension, how long before a beta release do you think?
A week. Or two. Maybe three?

Sorry, my time plan is not the... best :-/
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.
My extensions (Trending: @Mention SystemAdvanced PollsUser Online Time)

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«
Dkell

Post by Dkell »

Wolfsblvt wrote:
Dkell wrote:Hey Wolfsblvt, my forum members are really looking forward to this extension, how long before a beta release do you think?
A week. Or two. Maybe three?

Sorry, my time plan is not the... best :-/
Any update on this ext? Really would like to see it happen.
Komanche

Post by Komanche »

+1
Dkell

Post by Dkell »

Komanche wrote:+1
Crosses fingers, I don't want to mess with code on four different themes, need this ext ;)
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

Can't you just hide quotes in CSS? Set the limit to 0 in the ACP and then add something like this in a CSS file:

Code: Select all

blockquote blockquote blockquote { display: none !important; }
It may not be very elegant but it's an easy way to get the functionality right now.

The feature was added to phpBB 3.2 earlier this week. It cannot be backported to 3.1 though.
I wrote the thing that does BBCodes in 3.2+.
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

John Q. Public wrote:
huddy wrote: I'm surprised this something hasn't been introduced as part of core release. For example, If you have maximum nested quote set to 1, why would you want to include any quotes previous.
And why should the user get an error message for exceeding the allowed number of quotes? And then have to remove them manually and leave broken bits of BBCode in their posts? Or change their mind and not make the post. This should absolutely be part of the core.

Waiting patiently for the extension but it's the only thing keeping me from moving to 3.1.x.
I hate that if I set the quote level to "1" the user gets an error message when they try to include more quotes. That's not user friendly, phpBB should use my quote level to automatically remove the extra (un-allowed) quotes and not hassle the user.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I would much rather get an error message rather than have the software just not do it and not tell me about it at all.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
John Q. Public

Post by John Q. Public »

A 70 year-old woman posting on a gardening forum would prefer not to get the error message, and the admin would prefer she not have to attempt HTML surgery and leave broken [quote BBCode in her ote] post - or worse, give up in frustration and not post.
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

John Q. Public wrote:A 70 year-old woman posting on a gardening forum would prefer not to get the error message, and the admin would prefer she not have to attempt HTML surgery and leave broken
post - or worse, give up in frustration and not post.
Somebody else "gets it".
Dkell

Post by Dkell »

Swanny wrote:
John Q. Public wrote:A 70 year-old woman posting on a gardening forum would prefer not to get the error message, and the admin would prefer she not have to attempt HTML surgery and leave broken
Somebody else "gets it".
I think most of us get it, the option should be available in the ACP to display or not display the error message, which I believe 3.2 Rhea will have.

In a fast moving board error messages like that can be counter productive.

Personally I can't wait until there is an extension available, I don't think I can wait until 3.2 is released.
John Q. Public

Post by John Q. Public »

In my world, you'd get an error message for quoting a quote. Most quotes are unnecessary clutter, nested quotes are even worse. It's a very rare occasion that one is useful. I don't think the software should allow them in the first place, much less give you an error message for not using one. I'd just as soon quotes in general were harder to use.

Having said that ;) ,
Dkell wrote:Personally I can't wait until there is an extension available, I don't think I can wait until 3.2 is released.
I'm a dedicated phpBB adherent but I think I'd probably be a long-time user of some other software if I had to wait for 3.2. It's that important to me.
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

Whether it's removing quotes or any other feature, if it's really important for you then you should offer a bounty for it. Money is both a great motivator and a proof that someone actually cares about something.
Dkell wrote:the option should be available in the ACP to display or not display the error message
There's no option though. You can set the quote limit to 0 to disable it, but there's no error message. I'm the author of the change in 3.2.
I wrote the thing that does BBCodes in 3.2+.
John Q. Public

Post by John Q. Public »

There are a couple modifications* I'd gladly pay a bounty for. Fixing a bug that I think should have been fixed before the software was released isn't one of them, though.

* Yes, I did mean to use that word.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Dkell

Post by Dkell »

JoshyPHP wrote:Whether it's removing quotes or any other feature, if it's really important for you then you should offer a bounty for it. Money is both a great motivator and a proof that someone actually cares about something.
Dkell wrote:the option should be available in the ACP to display or not display the error message
There's no option though. You can set the quote limit to 0 to disable it, but there's no error message. I'm the author of the change in 3.2.
So if I want to only have one nested quote "quoted" per post this cannot be done, if the ACP is set to 0 and the user cannot quote :?

Am I reading that right?

Return to “Extension Requests”