Sub-Accounts / Account Links / Account Switcher

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Anti-Spam Guide
Sankuri

Sub-Accounts / Account Links / Account Switcher

Post by Sankuri »

I run play-by-post role-play forums. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in creating a sub-account / Account link / account switcher extension for 3.1? It would make life infinitely easier for members to switch between character accounts if this was possible.

For example, having a parent account, then linking child accounts to it, with a drop-down menu that allows you to switch between the accounts on the main page or even as you post on the posting page (post as: ). Something like JCink has?

Would anyone be interested? I would very much appreciate this particular extension.
Puchahawa
Name: Randy

Re: Sub-Accounts / Account Links / Account Switcher

Post by Puchahawa »

Sankuri wrote:For example, having a parent account, then linking child accounts to it, with a drop-down menu that allows you to switch between the accounts on the main page or even as you post on the posting page (post as: ).
This would have potential for admins that also have a testing account or two. It would be a smoother process if the admin could easily bounce between the admin account and the registered member account while testing board functions, permissions etc...

+1
BriniaSona

Post by BriniaSona »

I also need this for my forum roleplay.
Holger

Post by Holger »

+1
hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Single login, multiple identities with independent privilege and group settings. Privileges and groups should default to login account. Could a user create their own alias, or is that an admin operation? Could be abusable by trolls, a potential lessened if it's easy to identify an alias with the master account.
BriniaSona

Post by BriniaSona »

Definetly need this, and recent topics for my forum.
Dskod1
Name: Dylan Skoda

Post by Dskod1 »

yes, this would be awesome.
Shepskii

Post by Shepskii »

This plus a dice roller would really make phpbb a leading option for PbP style games.
infinitiv
Name: Ficjusz

Post by infinitiv »

+1
BriniaSona

Post by BriniaSona »

Want, can the code from the old one be modified to work with the new one?
Joe-mama

Post by Joe-mama »

I need this too for a Dungeons and Dragons board.
BriniaSona

Post by BriniaSona »

Keeping this alive, it's important.
shurijo

Post by shurijo »

I've been thinking/wanting to build this too for my RPG forums. I've built a couple extensions for 3.1 so far for our forums and I have a few other things to code with higher priorities, but this was on my future to do list.

I wouldn't use accounts, but I was thinking more of having characters/aliases, etc. Because then it would be easier to create NPCs and switch/move/copy character data between users if a user quits or another player takes over that character. And you wouldn't have to worry about passwords/maintaining multiple user records, account validation, hacks, etc.

Then when the user posts, it would have a dropdown picklist to select which character/alias they were posting as.

The character\alias would have a name, avatar, and background\textarea associated with it accessible/editable via UCP. So users can click the character name\alias and see a summary\avatar\background of the character. Char sheets would be too complicated, plus we host a dozen different systems, so just a textbox big enough for a small bio/description would be great.

I'm curious to what other extensions that the other play-by-post forums are using. We're using @Mentions and Recent Topics just as normal board stuff. Then we've built our own Dice Roller and Games List extensions at http://www.dicefellowship.org.
Shepskii

Post by Shepskii »

I guess if you have a forum hosting multiple games and systems then having a more 'freeform' approach to it would make sense. From my perspective, I only run one game and one system so sub-accounts tied to specific users is all I need/want. Your suggestion with character 'accounts' and the ability for them to be used by anyone is excellent and as long as you could control who has access to what, I think it's a better approach.

As far as other extensions go, the main one I'm currently using is the Fancy Dice extension. The ability to configure custom dice is perfect for non-standard games such as FFG's Edge of the Empire and seamless integration into posting via BBcode is a no-brainer.

We also have recent topics, quick reply, post merging, announcements on index, rank post styling, posting template, topic preview and advanced bbcode box.
shurijo

Post by shurijo »

Cool. I'm waiting until the Fancy Dice gets out of beta before I upload it to my testing forums. I think we have similar other extensions as well. A bunch of players wanted that and I need to figure out how to make it to the FFG Star Wars EotE dice formats.

Return to “Extension Requests”