social community extension - hot!

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
andrew55

social community extension - hot!

Post by andrew55 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:20 pm

Extension would add social like features to phpBB making it more of a interactive community, rather than just a bulletin board.

1. Facebook like community wall with status updates, ability to upload pictures, videos, etc
2. Enhanced profile page: large avatar, friend list, ability to add notifications and comment on other's notifications, ability to make friend requests
3. Eventually, it would be great to have integrations possible so updates show on activity wall - gallery extensions, etc.
4. Would also be great to have integration with credit extensions, such as Caramel, so when users make status updates, points are rewarded

Our pre 3.1 board used phpBB social network, which isn't going to be updated for 3.1:
http://phpbbsocialnetwork.com/

Our users loved it and we are holding off on updating board until a socail-like replacement exists (so we don't disappoint users).

This extension had hope, but seems to be abandoned:
viewtopic.php?f=501&t=2260286

This would be a very hot extension. I would be happy to pay a premium extension fee for it, and I'm sure other would also.

andrew55

Re: social community extension - hot!

Post by andrew55 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:46 am

I've been searching, and all other major forum scripts have this feature (bbpress, simplemachines, etc). Would be great to have this with phpBB!

andrew55

Post by andrew55 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:56 am

After searching more, I discovered an extension for posting comments to user's profile:
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2299176

And also a friend's list enhancement:
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2233086&p=14011206#p14011206

What's still needed is a main activity wall where users can see all activity on board (topics, replies, profile comments) and ability to post a comment on activity page and comment to other activity listings. Also, ability to insert pictures in activity wall comment would be great.

On our current outdated board, we use Socialnet and through statistics, I can see that users constantly visit our activity wall to check for updates, make status updates, and comment on activities of others.

Puchahawa
Name: Randy

Post by Puchahawa » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:20 pm

Looks like someone had the idea for a wall but abandoned it.

viewtopic.php?f=501&t=2260286

andrew55

Post by andrew55 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:31 pm

yes, I was disappointed to see that abandoned.

Here is another one, although not 3.1:
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=2168693

andrew55

Post by andrew55 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:59 pm

This looks the most promising, if more developers could get involved:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=2008845

Although they need help, it's the most solid social platform for phpBB (I used it for years).

It transforms phpBB into a user friendly, engaging, aesthetically appealing social machine.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:17 pm

And it is a ridiculously huge mod.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

andrew55

Post by andrew55 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:27 pm

Yes, it's big, but maybe it could be broken into pieces.

They had it working great pre 3.1

sturmkatze

Post by sturmkatze » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:24 pm

andrew55 wrote:Our pre 3.1 board used phpBB social network, which isn't going to be updated for 3.1:
http://phpbbsocialnetwork.com/
How come it won't be updated? This is exactly what I am looking for. I'd send you a PM, but this stupid thing lost my old account and I had to make a new one, hence no PM's :evil:

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:33 pm

I have to wonder why people want to remake phpbb ( or anything else) into something it was never intended to be.

there are social networking scripts out there , some even include a bulletin board, some even have bridges for phpbb. If I wanted a social networking site, I would install software that was designed to be a social networking site, not try to turn something that was designed to be a bulletin board into a social networking site.

It seems to me it would work much better and be much easier to do it that way and much easier to maintain etc.

robert

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

showaski

Post by showaski » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:27 pm

Robert,

Some people may not want to start over with a brand new platform after using phpBB for a long time.

With Facebook groups and pages, most people will not even bother with bulletin style communities anymore. This is a fantastic idea for a mod or extension.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:58 pm

apparently not so "fantastic" . doesn't seem to be much interest in from those that would know how to create it.
the reason it was mentioned above that the old MOD is so big is because it touches just about every single file in phpbb with many many changes. it adds many new files as well and a lot of database additions/changes etc.

in my opinion, it is something that is just too big to try for phpbb when there are such better options out there.

look for social networking scripts, then look for those that will integrate with phpbb 3.1

that is the easy /smart way to do it.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Calman

Post by Calman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:07 am

I'd like to see phpBB "gently" approach the Social Media angle in the future, but on it's own terms and not simply to appease the need for a Facebook type of system.

A lot of us have no doubt heard the ongoing calls of "why can't it be more like Facebook?" ... "I don't do forums" ... and "it seems really confusing compared to Facebook!" and the No.1 in the ridiculous pile "Why can't I log in?" (assuming they can simply log in to your forum with their Facebook credentials). The bottom line is, I don't feel we should dance to their tune and if phpBB has "social media" plans in the future, it would be refreshing for any such system to have it's own unique interface. Maybe this way, communities can encourage stronger interest, without having to "mimic" Facebook to 'keep the children happy'.

Just my own personal view.

Kind Regards,
Cal :)
Visiting, Researching or Relocating to the Okanagan Valley in BC?
http://www.okanaganforum.com

Return to “Extension Requests”