user friendly social-like profile

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Suggested Hosts
andrew55

user friendly social-like profile

Post by andrew55 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:54 pm

Like many other sites, most visitors to our site are not technical people. I'd say the current phpBB profile if more techy compared to profiles offered by BuddyPress, JomSocial, other forums scripts, etc.

Some ideas:

Rather than everything being stuck on profile all at once, include content in buttons or tabs. So Groups, Contact, and Statistics would have their own buttons/tabs. This would keep profile simple and clean.

A friend management area on profile page would be great - list of users friends with avatars showing, button for adding user as friend when viewing the profiles of others, ability to remove friend when viewing your own profile.

A list of 10 or so topics and 10 or so relies of user who's profile is being viewed (under a tab/button of course).

An ability to integrate other extensions with button/tabs. For example, if "phpBB Gallery" or "FP's Profile Comments" extensions are installed, these would be located within button/tabs on profile page.

Ability to add a large profile background photo, and maybe have smaller user avatar shown somewhere over this background photo.

I'd love to see this created and would be happy to pay a fee for extension, as I'm sure others would be also happy to do (maybe as a pro extension).

andrew55

Re: user friendly social-like profile

Post by andrew55 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:00 pm

This is the solution, if more developers could get involved:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=2008845

It transforms phpBB into a user friendly, engaging, aesthetically appealing social machine.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:54 pm

I would bet that most of the phpbb users ( remember, only a small portion of the users ever come here for support or MODs/extensions etc.) simply want a bulletin board which is what phpbb is. it is not facebook or whatever.

not saying those things shouldn't be available for those that want them.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:13 am

andrew55 wrote:It transforms phpBB into a user friendly, engaging, aesthetically appealing social machine.
Are you saying that it is not that already?

Friendly and engaging is down to the members and what they post - irrespective of the medium used.

Aesthetically appealing - is subjective.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

andrew55

Post by andrew55 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:43 am

Only my opinions based on user feedback. I've always been appreciative of phpBB.

Return to “Extension Requests”