Add capability to play HTML5 native formats without bbcode

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Ideas Centre
shortmort37
Name: Dan Morton

Re: Add capability to play HTML5 native formats without bbcode

Post by shortmort37 »

Not sure what to tell you. It seems to me you have three options at this point:

1) Reinstitute your bbcode, so that older posts play with it - that is, if my mod doesn't impact it. If it doesn't, keep your bbode for older posts, and don't use it for newer.

2) Edit all posts that have mp3's uploaded - download the mp3, delete the attachment, and upload again so that my mod will play it.

3) Forget my mod, and keep your bbcode for playing mp3's.

Sorry it didn't work for you, like it works for me. Life is like that.

Dan

shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

Oh, one final remark - after each change to your website, you should use the ACP to purge your server-side cache, and you should purge your browser history. If you don't do that with each change and test, all bets are off.

Dan

backyarddog

Post by backyarddog »

I followed your step by step exactly twice...

I keep getting this error.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 132: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/language/en/acp/attachments.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 132: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/language/en/acp/attachments.php:1)

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

your attachments.php file has something on the very first line that shouldn't be there.

you probably have opened/edited it with something other than a plain text editor that put a bit of code in the file.

1. Get a real ftp program like Filezilla. It is free and many of us use it.

2. Get a real file editor like Notepad++ or [url=http://www.editpadlite.com/download.html]Editpad Lite
They are both free and many of us use one or the other.

3. When you need to edit a file, download it using the ftp program, open it using your text editor.
Make your edits, save the file and upload it back to the server using the ftp program.

once you have the good text editor, open any files that you have been working on in it and then save them again and reupload them.

purge your cache
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

backyarddog

Post by backyarddog »

ok that solved my problem. Its working on pc.

Now other problem is.. Video wont show up in android browser......

shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

Yup. (*sigh*)... I haven't gotten around to figuring out what's up with that. Here's a separate thread where I discuss it:

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2320061

Dan

Tabitha2

Post by Tabitha2 »

shortmort37 wrote:
2) Edit all posts that have mp3's uploaded - download the mp3, delete the attachment, and upload again so that my mod will play it.
Dan
I have over 2000 messages

Tabitha2

Post by Tabitha2 »

News? :)

shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

Sorry, no news. Works fine for me. Did you try purging the cache on your site, and purging your browser cache?

If you have and it still doesn't work, not sure how I can help.

Incidentally, I just upgraded my board today from 3.1.5 to 3.1.6. I reviewed the edits, there's nothing that needs changing.

Dan

Tabitha2

Post by Tabitha2 »

yes, I did that
;)
thanks for your help

news for the extension?

shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

This topic is in the "Extension Request" subforum - I myself am requesting an extension. As I say in my initial post, I'm a hacker, not an extension writer. Someone more capable than I would have to pick up this request and develop it.

Dan

Tabitha2

Post by Tabitha2 »

I understand ;)

myself, I do not know do

profKroy

Post by profKroy »

This would be a brilliant extension for me and would like to see it developed. I am a university professor and I teach digital media production. I'm using phpBB quite extensively to facilitate discussions and critique and one of my courses requires students create various MP3 files.

It would be awesome for students to be able to simply upload their MP3 files as attachments, and have them immediately playable without the installation of additional browser plugins.

I've pored through the forums but most information seems to be a bit out of date. Advice always appreciated.
Are you a skilled extension developer? I need an extension developed right now. Here are the general specs. Please PM me if interested.

shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

profKroy wrote:This would be a brilliant extension for me and would like to see it developed. I am a university professor and I teach digital media production. I'm using phpBB quite extensively to facilitate discussions and critique and one of my courses requires students create various MP3 files.

It would be awesome for students to be able to simply upload their MP3 files as attachments, and have them immediately playable without the installation of additional browser plugins.

I've pored through the forums but most information seems to be a bit out of date. Advice always appreciated.
Thanks, Professor Kroy. At the time I posted my edits, I thought it would make for a great extension too, which is why I posted in Extension Requests. But with the advent of HTML5 and native capability for MP3 and MP4, it seems to me that my edits - which are nothing more than derivative of support for other MIME types - ought to be incorporated directly into phpBB itself. It doesn't make sense that popular multimedia types supported natively in all modern browsers should not enjoy support in phpBB when, say, "RealMedia" support is provided. Hopefully the Admins will take note and consider it.

Dan

shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

...oh, and by the way, it still does not work on iOS! I've recently stood up XAMPP on my desktop PC, however, and bought a copy of PHPDesigner 8. Hopefully I can figure out how to use it :oops: , and fix that problem as well.

Dan

Return to “Extension Requests”