Notification if a specific IP visits

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
peteetongman

Notification if a specific IP visits

Post by peteetongman » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:25 pm

Is there any way for admin to receive a notification if a specified IP visits the board? I'm not sure how much value such an extension would be for most users but I could have fun with it ;-).

I already use 'Who Was Here' so I can see registered members who have visited, so I'm thinking of guests

I realize IP's can and do change

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Notification if a specific IP visits

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:14 pm

therefore, what would be the point?

you could have a guest with the same IP visit everyday for a month and it may not ever be the same person.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Alpha Kitten

Post by Alpha Kitten » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:00 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
therefore, what would be the point?

you could have a guest with the same IP visit everyday for a month and it may not ever be the same person.

robert
I suppose if someone was banned from the community but still goes there as a guest you would know.

If someone left the community but still lurks around.

I wouldn't use it but I can see why some would.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:09 pm

but the point is that their IP would most likely not be the same the next time they came back. besides, you can't ban guests. you can only ban members who then become guests because they can't log in.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

peteetongman

Post by peteetongman » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:27 pm

this is just anecdotal evidence, but we have 45 members and, almost without exception, they all have the same IP's they started with a couple years ago (this group existed on another platform before migrating to phpBB).

Makes me wonder what the ratio of static vs dynamic IPs is. I don't think anybody on my board uses a proxy except maybe one guy.

Again, this would just be for fun and I certainly wouldn't want anybody to put a lot of effort into it

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:45 pm

peteetongman wrote:Makes me wonder what the ratio of static vs dynamic IPs is.
In the UK with "home" users I would say less than 10%
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

peteetongman

Post by peteetongman » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:26 pm

david63 wrote:
peteetongman wrote:Makes me wonder what the ratio of static vs dynamic IPs is.
In the UK with "home" users I would say less than 10%
10% are static? that is interesting. I'll have to research it over here in the states. with my little group it seems to be the opposite, but again that is just my anecdotal observation

call me obsessive, but with one glance at our guests' IP I will often say to myself, 'hey there's Joey', or 'hey there's Andy' and then a moment later Joey and/or Andy are logged in.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:54 pm

I know my IP at home changes every time the power goes off.
How often would you want to be notified? Every page-refresh might be a little excessive ;)

Nikola
Name: Nikola

Post by Nikola » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:30 pm

You may want to think about different approach. Given that you want to be notified indicates that you either want to do certain action once you get the notification or you are just being curious. In any case, depends with who you are dealing with, they can avoid your system very easily through zillion of proxy servers. That is why I suggested to think about different approach. As for guest browsing, you are able to alter the permissions for said group. People are curious, that's it.

Keep in mind that is near to impossible to prevent proxy users from visiting your boards, blending in for several post before they want to do something bad; such as being toxic, random troll that won't stop or a spammer is even worse. If that is a case then you will be better looking into anti spam tools as well as doing certain limitations such as link posting, messaging people and many others. This is more due to politics how the board is being managed. If some users are problematic to that extent then you may want to issue a wider range ban for certain IP using wildcards or even their hostmask.

Nikola
"What would happen if the autism gene was eliminated from the genetic pool?

You would have a bunch of people standing around in a cave, chatting and socializing and not getting anything done."

- Dr. Temple Grandin, A Personal Look at Autism and Asperger's Syndrome.

peteetongman

Post by peteetongman » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:38 pm

Brf wrote:I know my IP at home changes every time the power goes off.
How often would you want to be notified? Every page-refresh might be a little excessive ;)
I was thinking about something along the lines of the 'who was here' extension, only perhaps with pre-selected IP's being logged. Not shown on the board of course, otherwise our cover is blown.

I'll tell everybody why I was curious about it: over the years we've had a couple of groups splinter off and form new boards, etc, and there are some semi-friendly rivalries going on. I just thought it would be fun to let our inner circle know that 'hey that dang Joey was snooping our board today' and perhaps do a little ball busting. Nothing more sinister than that.

Once again, not a big deal one way or another if it is/is not do-able, I guess I have way too much free time on my hands LOL

martti

Post by martti » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:03 am

Maybe use analytics software? http://piwik.org/.

Return to “Extension Requests”