Forum sort order per forum in ACP and also user select sort order

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Ideas Centre
Kiweed

Forum sort order per forum in ACP and also user select sort order

Post by Kiweed » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:32 pm

Many many blue moons ag The great god Tumba25 wrote us a little snippit which in turn became the "Forum sort order mod"

the 2 extra sort order this brings is via topic time eg blog post and alphabetic eg library but its use in setting it in ACP is invaluable

Its an awesome and powerful little "extension" that allowed you to set the forum sort order of ANY forum in the ACP
for example (our most used) was --> sort by Topic time ... which allowed forums to be moe "blog" like and replies would not bounce a topic to the to ..... very useful if you have a high traffic forum.

Now tumba25 was great ..... he listened to others and also added a sort option of Alphabetical ....... you could have your own library in a section

The great tumba25 thought even deeper and allowed users to set their default order in UCP or on the fly by say checking "topic time" at the bottom of the forum

By far the most powerful feature is setting the forum sort per forum in the ACP. I could not get this across to the folk at area51 when i tried getting it added as a feature
https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=45825

I also had a discussion at phpbb when 3.1 was still young and they liked it enough to recommend it at area51 for a rfc
viewtopic.php?f=461&t=2248871

I don't think they would ever make this core functionality but 7177 downloaders cant be wrong that this function is needed.

The original Mod called "Forum Sort Order" by tumba25
Mods database link ---> https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... ort_order/
Description
Adds topic time in UCP > Board preferences and viewtopic > Sort by.
Also adds Forum default to UCP > Board preferences and makes this default for all users.
**important bit** Adds "Default topic list order:" to ACP > Forums > Edit forum, this might be overridden by the settings in UCP.
Adds possibility to override user sort settings in some forums.
Here is a forum with a default listing of Topic Time

Here is the same forum with a default list of Post Time we are all used to. It is a real mess compared to Topic Time.

The most important place it needs to be is ACP---> Forums
ACP - Forum

The other places it needs to appear are ModCP. We found the moderators could not find topics to delete if the forum was default Topic Time

Topic Time ModCP

Post Time ModCP

And last but not least Advanced Search (Thanks for reminding me keith10456 :) )

Topic Time
Post Time
*edit*
And last last but not least UCP + ACP Topic Time setting ... letting the User/Admin choose their own default (thanks Pony99CA)
UCP
[img]ttp://www.exgeek.org/temp/forumsort_ucp_topictime.jpg[/img]

I hope that shows the visual impact to a forum of having everything ordered by when the topic was posted without replies making a real mess of things. Most blogs list this way .... why not phpBB???

Any help thoughts or direction very much appreciated

I am willing to donate to the cause of whoever succeeds in memory of the 7000+ people who use it now

cheers
kiweed

Kiweed

Re: Forum sort order per forum in ACP and also user select sort order

Post by Kiweed » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:46 am

no bites on this one?
this was one of tumba25's best lil 3.0 mods. You could have your forum blog loke with replies unable to bump topics out of order and i saw it often used as a library with topics listed from A to Z

any help appreciated for my users even if the Acp side is missing and the user can select "topic time"
I think paybas may have written a little bit of this when we tried including it in 3.1

thanks all for any thoughts

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:32 am

Kiweed wrote:the 2 extra sort order this brings is via topic time eg blog post and alphabetic
That is only one additional option. The standard, "sort by subject", is alphabetical sorting.
Kiweed wrote: Most blogs list this way .... why not phpBB???
Because they are different, blogs are articles from one author, boards are usually topics by multiple authors. Not saying it shouldn't be an extension but, since it has a limited use case for most boards, I can see why it isn't included in the core software.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

divingbrit

Post by divingbrit » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:04 pm

This is what we use
Sort topics Alphabetically

Postby Volksdevil » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:49 pm
Hi,

On my old 3.0.12 I had a simple snippet in the viewforum.php file that sorted Alphabetically in chosen forums

Code: Select all
// Sort topics alphabetically
if ($forum_id == 13 || $forum_id == 14 || $forum_id == 22)
{
$sort_by_text = array('t' => $user->lang['SUBJECT']);
$sort_by_sql = array('t' => 't.topic_title');
$sort_dir = 'a';
}

Note the forum ID's ($forum_id == 13 || $forum_id == 14 || $forum_id == 22)

I've just tried it on 3.1.1 and it works perfectly, but is it worth having an extension for this rather than this small tweak to the core php?
And still works perfectly in the latest upgrade
Shy but working at it

Kiweed

Post by Kiweed » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:25 am

Thanks heaps divingbrit ...... good to know it still works in 3.1

The one most of my users ask for though is to sort by "topic time". The sections are so busy with replies that this makes it real easy to see the topics as they were posted in date order without having to go through 100 topics with "thanks" in them that have been bounced on top

7741 downloads of this 3.0 mod ...... a lot use it

:)

HeinrichP

Post by HeinrichP » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:22 am

I hope for this extention too :)

HeinrichP

Post by HeinrichP » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:32 am

Return to “Extension Requests”