User Marketplace

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Anti-Spam Guide
Sequor

User Marketplace

Post by Sequor » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:15 pm

Request Title: User Marketplace

Request Description
: A forum-enabled marketplace where items are bought, sold, and traded via an interface that ties in with their account.

Requested Features:
  • Users pay with paypal (possibly an option for payments with virtual currency?)
  • User-created listings with availability to add tags, Parent/Children groups ("item sets"), and category
  • ACP-defined category management, transaction logs, and user management (prevent from buying/selling/etc.)
  • Interface determines size from width of main forum body (optional ability to override and set width/height?)
  • Account name displayed with drop-down menu upon clicking, should show links to user's listings, transaction history, and other useful features.
  • Category navigation bar (ACP-determined location, left, top, or right)
  • Search bar with ability to refine search by category, tag, or seller.
  • Photo upload with connectivity to database (can define whether to use phpbb DB or new DB).

I did search for this, but couldn't find anything resembling what I need. I'm more than happy to answer questions regarding the request.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: User Marketplace

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:39 pm

I wonder why you dont just find a store/auction/classifieds script instead of trying to make phpbb into something other than a discussion board.

there are many scripts of this type out there that would be much better suited to what you are after.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Sequor

Post by Sequor » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:18 pm

I'm certain that there are better external scripts that could do most of what I've asked. However, those mainly require separate accounts for users to create and manage, whereas this extension would use the existing phpbb account and simply direct buyers and sellers to a page in which they complete the purchase via paypal or a virtual currency.

The amazing thing about PHPBB is how one can turn it into something much more than a discussion board. I can understand your concern and I can assure you that the board would still remain as a place for discussion, but our users do more than just talk, and I'd like to give them something more that they can certainly get a lot of use out of. I'm also fairly certain that I'm not the only one who would benefit from such an extension.

In the end, if nobody steps up to develop it, I'll take a crack at it myself. I simply don't trust myself to get it done right.

Darva

Post by Darva » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:01 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:I wonder why you dont just find a store/auction/classifieds script instead of trying to make phpbb into something other than a discussion board.

there are many scripts of this type out there that would be much better suited to what you are after.

robert
I thought that the goal of the PHPBB project was to make it highly customizeable. ;)
By the way Lumpy - You never PM'd me back! :(

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:55 pm

Darva wrote:
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:I wonder why you dont just find a store/auction/classifieds script instead of trying to make phpbb into something other than a discussion board.

robert
I thought that the goal of the PHPBB project was to make it highly customizeable. ;)
By the way Lumpy - You never PM'd me back! :(
highly customizable as a bulletin board, not to make it into something completelyl different.

yes, it can be done, but why rewrite one program to do something that there is already a program written specifically for that purpose?

check your PMs.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

pitur

Post by pitur » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:46 pm

I'm not so sure it's that different. A forum serves to exchange information. All you would add is an option to exchange that information for money.

I would be very interested in seeing something like that.

Sequor

Post by Sequor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:39 pm

pitur wrote:I'm not so sure it's that different. A forum serves to exchange information. All you would add is an option to exchange that information for money.

I would be very interested in seeing something like that.
I'm glad you agree. I was starting to think I might actually be alone in this.

Holger

Post by Holger » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:34 pm

I am running highly active forums with attached marketplaces.
It is a PITA to have to ask the users to create new accounts if they want to sell something. ;)
Are you looking for a phpBB Expert? Find a phpBB Expert!
Are you a phpBB Expert? Post your resume!
http://www.phpbbexperts.com

Sequor

Post by Sequor » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:17 am

Holger wrote:I am running highly active forums with attached marketplaces.
It is a PITA to have to ask the users to create new accounts if they want to sell something. ;)
My thoughts exactly. Having them create another account simply to list something sounds frustrating.

espen83

Post by espen83 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:46 am

I looked into this for a long time and as others have stated, the best you can do is to get something else and try to integrate it into your board. I would suggest phpprobid.

jjoosterbaan

Post by jjoosterbaan » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:02 pm

Simple portal has auction integrated with the same login, but we are fan of phpBB3, so is there realy no solution possible ? I have now a perfect forum, but miss the auction , sell and buy option. I have done it now with a Joomla auction, but people dont use it because they have to login twice.

if you want to check my forum : www.flyingfalcon.org

Hel92

Post by Hel92 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:38 pm

I would love to have such a feature available.
It's true, phpbb is made to run a discussion board, but what we do on our forums is to discuss about shared interests (which might also include trading, think of how many people are interested in many different collectibles, from stamps to comics to manga and so on).
On phpbb 3.0.x there was a pretty nice MOD called Classifieds, and it was pretty good at doing what we are looking for.
I hope to have something similar available for 3.1.x, sooner or later.

Tarantino

Post by Tarantino » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:45 am

I've asked to an developer to do this extension. If someone wants it too, come talk to me. ;)

Holger

Post by Holger » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:16 am

What are the specs?
Are you looking for a phpBB Expert? Find a phpBB Expert!
Are you a phpBB Expert? Post your resume!
http://www.phpbbexperts.com

Hartenheer
Name: Willem Hartman

Post by Hartenheer » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:12 am

My forum is a marketplace.
I use Trader to let you choose what you want

Unfortunately Trader has long no longer supported
Sorry English is not my native language :oops:

Return to “Extension Requests”