List of users coming from more than x IPs

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Ideas Centre
Ltb

List of users coming from more than x IPs

Post by Ltb »

Hi, I think it could be quite useful to have a possibility to display users who are coming from several different IP addresses. As I see in my forum, if some user uses 15 or even more IP addreses, he is coming through PROXY to my forum and probably is just sidesteping the IP BAN.

Usually there is no need to use so many IP addresses...so, if somebody is doing it, he is doing something BAD...could be very handy to see all these users in my admin tool...
Ltb
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: List of users coming from more than x IPs

Post by Brf »

So you have come from 14. Does that make you a borderline proxy user?
Ltb

Post by Ltb »

Well, maybe yes, maybe no...from my point of view, would be nice to know about these users and have the possibility to mark them as "approved" or "suspicious". The border line of the number of IPs should be variable.

All already approved users can be removed from this list then...
Ltb
svennson

Post by svennson »

Also consider that some ISP give a router a different IP every time they "restart" and I believe the Thor browser gets a new IP every couple of minutes. Also mobile (3G/4G) users might also change rather frequently of IP. Its not a great idea to start banning based on IP unless its 100% static.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Well, if you think a user is suspicious, you only have to check a post's info. That is where you see all of the IPs a user has posted from.
Ltb

Post by Ltb »

Brf: Yes, you are right. This is the place where I am currently checking it. Was just thinking that could be easier to have it on 1 place instead of searching in the discussions...
svennson wrote:Also consider that some ISP give a router a different IP every time they "restart" and I believe the Thor browser gets a new IP every couple of minutes. Also mobile (3G/4G) users might also change rather frequently of IP. Its not a great idea to start banning based on IP unless its 100% static.
I agree. In that case there should be another variable, something like "excluded IPs", which you will consider as safe ones (IPs of mobile providers for example) and will not be counted as suspicious.
Ltb
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you are sort of missing the point here. worrying about what IPs or how many IPs a user has logged in or posted from is a complete waste of time. you can not tell anything about that user based on IPs. you could have a very bad user only post from one and a very good user post from thousands over time etc.

IP addresses, regardless of what it says on TV, can't really tell you anything other than the city and the ISP of the user ( and not even that is accurate quite often ).

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

470 IPs Lumpy ....
Lumpy Burgertushie

Brf wrote:470 IPs Lumpy ....
is that how many I have showing for me?

that is odd since supposedly I have a static IP.

;)
kind of makes the point of not worrying about IP s

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Well, over 20000 of your posts are from one ip.
Lumpy Burgertushie

that does not surprise me . I have had the same IP address for the biggest part of 10 years because I have had the same account with my ISP for that long.

that is about to change. my ISP, clear wire ( owned by sprint ) is shutting down totally as of 11/06/15
no other plan, no nothing, just going away.

I live out in the country and the only other options I have will drastically reduce my data caps from basically unlimited to 5 to 10 GB a month. just my time on phpbb.com is almost that much every month.

att says with their uverse I would have 250GB a month but the only speed they can offer me is 768K down.

that is just barely fast enough to watch a 5 minute youtube video without it buffering for 10 minutes first.

oh well, rant, rant, rant.

robert

Ltb

Post by Ltb »

OK, nevermind gyus, was just an idea, thanks for your comments ;-)

btw. I know that IP does not tell me whether the user is/will be GOOD or BAD. However, it could be one of the clue that "something is happening".
Ltb
david63

Post by david63 »

Ltb wrote:it could be one of the clue that "something is happening".
Not necessarily - they may just travel a lot and log in from many different locations.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Lumpy Burgertushie

Ltb wrote:OK, nevermind gyus, was just an idea, thanks for your comments ;-)

btw. I know that IP does not tell me whether the user is/will be GOOD or BAD. However, it could be one of the clue that "something is happening".
you can interpret as a clue if you wish, but if you base any decisions on that factor you will be wrong most of the time.

Even in the face of all the information that says otherwise, you seem to have your mind made up that the IPs will offer you some clues to whether a given user is going to be good or bad,. So, good luck with your board and I hope you don't lose too many good members or have too many bad members because you made decisions based on this idea.

robert

Ltb

Post by Ltb »

But no, I don't have my mind, I agree with your arguments and understand that such an extension would not be as useful as I thought in the beginning. To explain you why I began to think about it - have 1 troll in my forum who is returning all the time and using several VPN proxies and is trying to be active there. I am trying to find some ways how to be informed about his activity in advance... I do not want to sort users on GOOD and BAD ones based on their IPs they are using...just wanted to have some kind of "report" of new users, recently registered, using a lot of IPs ..."for some reason".
Ltb

Return to “Extension Requests”