image size in the HD

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
maxlinux2000

image size in the HD

Post by maxlinux2000 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:52 pm

Hello,

everyone now has in his pocket a Smartphone with a camera 8Mpx minimum.
These phones make huge pictures and many of them can not (or the peuple do not know) how to reduce the photos that they do.

Actually many people now use the phone only to navigate my phpbb forum and post their photos.

This creates problems of space on the server, because people carry 1GB per month.

I tried to put the limit to 500kb in photos through the administration control panel, and there has been a revolution, with threats of leaving the forum forever.

I wonder if there is an extension that automatically reduce the size of photos putting it to 800x600px and delete the original file, saving space on the hard disk of the web server.

any ideas?

regards
MaX
Last edited by Oyabun1 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from 3.1.x Support forum

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: image size in the HD

Post by david63 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:57 pm

maxlinux2000 wrote:everyone now has in his pocket a Smartphone with a camera 8Mpx minimum.
That is a false assumption
maxlinux2000 wrote:Actually many people now use the phone only to navigate my phpbb forum and post their photos.
Another false assumption

Phones are for making phone calls
Cameras are for taking pictures
Computers are for accessing fora

(Only in my opinion - of course)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:48 pm

david63 wrote:
maxlinux2000 wrote:everyone now has in his pocket a Smartphone with a camera 8Mpx minimum.
That is a false assumption
maxlinux2000 wrote:Actually many people now use the phone only to navigate my phpbb forum and post their photos.
Another false assumption
Perhaps worldwide it's a false assumption, but when someone puts up a request like this, they're usually referring to their userbase, and they're likely going to know if most of their users are browsing with smartphones (based on analytics or just based on users telling the staff).
Phones are for making phone calls
Cameras are for taking pictures
Computers are for accessing fora
Well, when you have a smartphone, you have a computer, a camera, and a web browser (by default). A smartphone fits many roles that would traditionally require multiple pieces of equipment. Because it has apps that provide the functionality, a smartphone is a camera, and is for taking pictures; a smartphone is a phone, and is for making phone calls; and a smartphone is a browser, and is for accessing forums (and other websites).

Sure, some people have flip phones that only do voice and text. Some people have smartphones and only use it for the former two uses (which imo is a waste since you can get by just fine with a flip phone for much less cost, but I digress). Some people have smartphones and only use it for dedicated apps, rather than web browsing. Other people use their smartphones and tablets for all sorts of things, including web browsing, and including forums.

So it's a bit unfair to dismiss his post as "false assumptions" and based on your personal experience, when really it's his forums' users' experiences that matter in terms of the request he's made.

So with that in mind, here is an extension I found fairly quickly browsing through the Customisations Database. It doesn't do exactly what you're wanting, but it should help with keeping those huge images from taking up all your server space. https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/tinypic/

Basically, it embeds an upload form for TinyPic, an external image host, and allows them to upload and get an embed code/URL for their images, which they can use to show their images. This would work differently than the current attachments, but as I said, it would keep the large images from taking up your server space, and would keep your members happy because they can still upload their large images.
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

D3ad3y3

Post by D3ad3y3 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:14 am

maxlinux2000 wrote:I wonder if there is an extension that automatically reduce the size of photos putting it to 800x600px and delete the original file, saving space on the hard disk of the web server.
According to this post, if you put in maximum dimensions in the ACP, the image will be resized client-side before uploading.

maxlinux2000

Post by maxlinux2000 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:42 am

D3ad3y3 wrote: According to this post, if you put in maximum dimensions in the ACP, the image will be resized client-side before uploading.
:shock: :o

incredible!!! tnx!!!

Return to “Extension Requests”