Friendly or Pretty URLS

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Friendly or Pretty URLS

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:55 am

there are some cases where the forum ID ( f=496 ) is needed in the url.

I don't remember exactly what, I just remember that it is so.

however, what does it matter? there is no benefit from shortening the urls.

also, those url shortening scripts would not help with what the OP thinks is a problem. the short urls are just a random set of characters that links to the actual filename in the url. that would be no easier for someone to remember and/or type etc.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:52 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:there are some cases where the forum ID ( f=496 ) is needed in the url.

I don't remember exactly what, I just remember that it is so.

however, what does it matter? there is no benefit from shortening the urls.

also, those url shortening scripts would not help with what the OP thinks is a problem. the short urls are just a random set of characters that links to the actual filename in the url. that would be no easier for someone to remember and/or type etc.

robert
Not correct. This is old school, In the sense that some new services to short urls allow the user to choose some keyword instead random chars, of course with their domain name and ext
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

MESWEB

Post by MESWEB » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:15 pm

Can anyone make new mod for rewrite url with management settings of this urls? If that mod can exist then admin of site can choose between url like f=32132 or forumnam and topicname in url.

Sequor

Post by Sequor » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:32 pm

I have to agree with Lumpy and the others; there simply isn't a demand for this,
and besides being aesthetically pleasing, it doesn't really serve a purpose.

I'm not trying to down on your idea; I'm sure that you feel it's a necessity,
but I can't see any extension developers feeling the same way. It just isn't
something that would bring more user functionality. Nobody remembers
topic URL's; they have bookmarks and subscriptions for that.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:04 pm

MESWEB wrote:I need SEO friendly urls or pretty urls looking like this
domain.com/forumname/threadname
without any id.
Cons:

Suppose for example if someone publishes a topic on your board than the same author or someone else shares it elsewhere, in a lot of websites to allow other people to know it. Example:
domain.com/the-original-name
The url is based on the title of the topic, as you see...

After a moderator decides that the title of the topic has to be changed to be more accurate and better match the content of the topic itself it rewrite the title and the url is automatically modified accordingly by the board to the topic title:
domain.com/the-new-name
Every page that hosts the original name loses the link to the new url and has to be update manually, if it is still possible. And if the original author doesn't do it, every link is orphan and unuseful.

I really don't know google rules about seo compliance, if any exists about this topic. But IMHO this implementation is a double edged weapon. And maybe cons are more than pros...
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:50 am

I know you might consider this reply rude, which is not how it is meant.

If 'friendly' URL's are that important to you, you need to be looking for a different forum software.

Seriously, phpBB is designed the way it is designed. Yes, you can add extensions. Yes, you can edit the core (if that is how you want to proceed) but to change a fundamental part of the operating process is asking for trouble (all IMHO of course)

TGS

Post by TGS » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:30 am

Not to necro the thread or anything but having just stumbled upon it I think I get what the OP has an issue with to a degree. It seems to me that the main issue he has with the way the forum displays things is how it shows in the URL the various forum/post ID's. Which for some people can be annoying as they don't want to see the ID's.

That is how the forum software works and actually how most forum software works, dare I say most online/web software. Anything that uses a database and indexing. Even Facebook shows you the ID's. It cannot be helped, it can probably be masked to some degree but that doesn't remove the fact that the IDs still exist and you're just not seeing them.

I'm only posting this because after reading it, it seems like it is a topic that has come up fairly regularly so hopefully people who might think about it can relate to the "We don't want to see the Index ID's" then realize that it isn't overly practical to try to remove them. The few things that do remove them in the URLs don't actually remove them, they still exist. They're just not part of the URL structure. However with forums this becomes a bit more problematic as was said in other replies that if you try to remove those identifiers then you disconnect the ID from the URL and if you do that then when the thread is moved or split or if another topic of the same name comes up it can really cause problems.

To put it simply, the ID's need to be in the URL. Even if you don't see it due to some other mechanic such as a unique random ID generator there still has to be a link that cannot be broken/detached/disconnected. It isn't the job of the forum to provide that functionality. And while an argument could be made for such an extension, there isn't enough good use cases for this as it isn't providing any real necessary functionality in my opinion.

So hopefully that will provide some explanation on both parts of the discussion. It makes sense for some people not to want to see the index ID. But there also isn't a good enough case to alter the way the board works just to do such a simple thing as removing them from the URL.

Return to “Extension Requests”