Use attachments of other users

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Anti-Spam Guide
LuuLa

Use attachments of other users

Post by LuuLa »

Hello,

I need an extension that makes it possible to place an uploaded attachment (picture) into a post of another user, who has not uploaded the attachment. Please refer to this topic where I put my question a few days ago.

Can help me, please?
mrgoldy
Former Team Member
Name: Gijs

Re: Use attachments of other users

Post by mrgoldy »

I've read that topic, and I'm still not quite sure if I understand why this can't be done already?

For example if we look at this post. It contains attached images, placed inline.
I right click the image, 'open in new tab', copy the link.
>> Can also simply click on 'copy image address' straight away, but this is my odd way of doing it.

Use the link between new Image
phpBB Studio / Member of the Studio

Contributing: You can do it too! Including testing Pull Requests (PR).
phpBB Development and Testing made easy.
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

I don't see a quoted picture in that post?

I think what he wants is the following:
User 1 attaches a picture in his post.

He wants it that if user 2 quotes user 1's post, the attached picture is included in the quote.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Elias wrote:I don't see a quoted picture in that post?

I think what he wants is the following:
User 1 attaches a picture in his post.

He wants it that if user 2 quotes user 1's post, the attached picture is included in the quote.
Exactly. At least that's what I would like to have since one of my boards is largely an image sharing board.
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:
LuuLa

Post by LuuLa »

Elias wrote:He wants it that if user 2 quotes user 1's post, the attached picture is included in the quote.
Correct.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Bump.
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
gn#36
Translator

Post by gn#36 »

So you basically want that when you hit the quote button, the image attachments in the post are automatically converted to [img]link/to/original/image[/img] so you see the same picture in both the original post and the quote?
German Support Team Member • http://www.phpbb.deMy Extensions in the CDBMy Extensions on Github • Contact with caos is inavoidable but no catastrophy if you keep an overview.
LuuLa

Post by LuuLa »

gn#36 wrote:So you basically want that when you hit the quote button, the image attachments in the post are automatically converted to [img]link/to/original/image[/img] so you see the same picture in both the original post and the quote?
Yes, but not with IMG tags! The image must be inserted with the ATTACH tags, so that only users with suff. rights can watch them.
gn#36
Translator

Post by gn#36 »

I never understood making images private while leaving the text around it public. That is a configuration that would make me think at least twice before joining that board. Of what use are users that register only to see the attachments and are never seen again otherwise?

Anyways, permissions would work even with image tags, because the image is not linked directly but through file.php, which runs a permission check as well before delivering the image. The only difference would be that users won't get a "You must be registered to see this attachment" or similar, but instead simply wont see the image at all or get whatever default text is in the alt tag of the image.
German Support Team Member • http://www.phpbb.deMy Extensions in the CDBMy Extensions on Github • Contact with caos is inavoidable but no catastrophy if you keep an overview.
LuuLa

Post by LuuLa »

gn#36 wrote:I never understood making images private while leaving the text around it public. That is a configuration that would make me think at least twice before joining that board. Of what use are users that register only to see the attachments and are never seen again otherwise?
Although this topic is not about the reasons why, I still try to explain it to you: it depends on the usage of a board. Not every board is the same. There are boards whose main values lies in pictures, submitted by users. Anyway, our posting texts newer than 4 weeks aren't public as well. Maybe, you now understand.

gn#36 wrote:Anyways, permissions would work even with image tags, because the image is not linked directly but through file.php, which runs a permission check as well before delivering the image. The only difference would be that users won't get a "You must be registered to see this attachment" or similar, but instead simply wont see the image at all or get whatever default text is in the alt tag of the image.
Perfect. In which syntax?

Code: Select all

[img][attach]xxxxxxx[/attach][/img]
?
Last edited by LuuLa on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gn#36
Translator

Post by gn#36 »

No, syntax is [img]final/url/of/image[/img], where final/url/of/image is something like http://example.com/download/file.php?id=102345. You can get the url by right-clicking on the image and retrieving its address. You can simply use that address in the img tag. The only case this will not work is when users are logged in without using cookies.

This is exactly what posey suggested and you can see that he was able to use the link from VSEs attachment and place the image in this thread as well.
LuuLa

Post by LuuLa »

Thank you!
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Users are either not going to know how to do that or are too stupid. Could an extension be coded to do what this does?

I know my users will not know how to do this and a majority of my users use a smartphone. So manipulating text and all this would be a PITA!
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
profKroy

Post by profKroy »

Yeah I agree. I'm running a board with much use of images by users who are students, not accustomed to BBCODE workarounds perhaps.

If a user replied to a post that had an attached image, then the image they are commenting on should be displayed as a thumbnail in their post. I would love to have an extension that would accomplish this function.

It would make my classroom/board much more organized for students who may not be very tech savvy or are new to this style of forum. Yes those folks exist. Any visual reference as described would go a long way towards keeping them oriented to the discussions surrounding various images.

Has there been any development in this area?
Using phpBB extensively to teach online courses. Always looking for extensions geared towards helping students.
Puchahawa
Name: Randy

Post by Puchahawa »

I think this extension will do that. Suppose to add the image in a quote as a thumbnail.

Not sure if it will work with 3.2 though. May need to check with the author about that.
Avatar courtesy of artist Faith Coyotë

Return to “Extension Requests”